Lookup logic in tag filter versus tag entry in new GA

CalS

• Level 5*

Wondering if anyone has any insight to this one.  Used to be in tag entry or tag filter the lookup for the string worked from the beginning of the tag name.  St would get you statement and anything else that started with st.  Now in tag entry mode, if you enter a string you get any tags with that string in them.  If the string you type is the beginning of the tag it auto selects when you are down to one tag, otherwise you have to manually select.  Tag filter is the same as it always was, so you have two different methods for a tag drop-down.  

I may be dense, but I can't wrap my mind around why such a change.  I get find me all tags with an st in them, but how does that help me?    :wacko:

• Level 5*

Adding a tag to an existing note,  I get the tags which start with my letter group,  then the ones including that group..  so "au" gets me 'audition' and 'audio',  plus 'astronaut' - seems to be an enhancement of tag search rather than a restriction,  but maybe its not properly implemented in some areas..

• Level 5*

It's even worse: If I select an infixed match (e.g. "astronaut" when I've types "au"), then the tag added is not the matched tag, it's the partially typed one. I.e., not "astronaut", but "au". Not very helpful.

• Level 5*

Yeah, when applying tags you can't even select a tag unless the letters typed are the first of the tag, except when it is the last tag standing. I think that is what I am seeing. Hard to think that is the intended behaviour or that recursive testng occurs.

• Level 5*

Evernote Tag usage used to be rock solid and very intuitive (I'm thinking back to Ver 3).

This is one more example of changes to the UI that just don't make sense.

It's almost like an individual developer/designer gets an idea that may sound good initially, and implements it without the proper review/testing within Evernote.  Lots of ideas sound good initially, but then after you think about it more you realize that it is really not that good -- doesn't follow standards and/or has unintended consequences.

Standards, consistency, and testing don't seem to be well understood by all Evernote developers/designers.

• 1 month later...

Archived