Saved search displaying different results

Hi. I already emailed Evernote support team regarding this but thought I will post it in the forum here too so that I can see if other users are experiencing the same problem. I very recently installed Evernote Desktop on my PC again (before I was using Evernote Web) and noticed that my saved searches behave differently on the Web and on PC client.

For example, to reproduce the problem type the following search "reminderDoneTime:day -reminderDoneTime:day+1" in Evernote Web and this should give you a list of completed reminders done (checked off) today. And then type the same search into Evernote Desktop application and you will get no notes displayed (this is what I get). Obviously, make sure to complete a few reminders today so that they show up when you perform the search.

Now, I have a lot of saved searches set up and they are all working perfect in Evernote Web. But for some reason they don't display the corresponding results in Evernote Desktop. Some searches display more notes then Evernote Web and some just don't work at all. Is it just me or do you folks out there get the same behaviour?

• Level 5*

For example, to reproduce the problem type the following search "reminderDoneTime:day -reminderDoneTime:day+1" in Evernote Web and this should give you a list of completed reminders done (checked off) today. And then type the same search into Evernote Desktop application and you will get no notes displayed (this is what I get). Obviously, make sure to complete a few reminders today so that they show up when you perform the search.

This specific case ("reminderDoneTime:day+1") is a known bug with the Windows client. It has been reported before.

This specific case ("reminderDoneTime:day+1") is a known bug with the Windows client. It has been reported before.

Thanks for your reply jefito. So I wonder how long this has been a bug for in desktop client? I also get conflicting search results with the following search "stack:"1 NEXT ACTIONS" -updated:month-3". On Evernote Web I get no search results and on desktop client I get 26 notes show up! This search has no "reminderDoneTime:day+1" in it so why the mismatch?

I rely on saved searches a lot to pick out specific notes and it seems the desktop client is useless for me as it can't perform the searches I want it to. I find it strange how Evernote Web and Android app can perform these searches without any problems and yet Windows client cannot.

I would continue to use Evernote Web and not bother with the desktop client but only issue is that the Web version is so slow as it takes a few seconds for it to save a note and this slows me down considerably, especially when I have lots of notes to process. I not sure if there is a workaround to these bugs but hope Evernote developers fix it please.

UPDATE: I managed to fix the search "stack:"1 NEXT ACTIONS" -updated:month-3" problem. The issue was that this search works nicely on the Web but won't work properly on desktop client unless you add the "created" term to it as well. Because Web notes automatically add the modified date too and the client doesn't unless you actually go into the note and modify it.

Jefito, I did a forum search on the "reminderDoneTime:day+1" bug and did find a lot of comments on it so yes this is unfixed bug in the desktop client. However, after searching for a good few hours I managed to find a workaround which requires an AutoHotKey script that loads to replace +1 with the actual date. So this is the next best thing until Evernote get around to fixing it.

• Level 5*

UPDATE: I managed to fix the search "stack:"1 NEXT ACTIONS" -updated:month-3" problem. The issue was that this search works nicely on the Web but won't work properly on desktop client unless you add the "created" term to it as well. Because Web notes automatically add the modified date too and the client doesn't unless you actually go into the note and modify it.

Not sure what you're saying here. Created date is set by Evernote at note creation, but is user-modifiable by explicit action (some folks used to use this as a due date back before reminders came to Evernote). Updated date is always set by Evernote when you change note content (but not metadata like tags, etc.)

Are you saying that the web client does this differently than the desktop client?

Or are you saying that a search on "-updated:month-3" includes does something different on the web client than the desktop client?

Jefito, I did a forum search on the "reminderDoneTime:day+1" bug and did find a lot of comments on it so yes this is unfixed bug in the desktop client. However, after searching for a good few hours I managed to find a workaround which requires an AutoHotKey script that loads to replace +1 with the actual date. So this is the next best thing until Evernote get around to fixing it.

I was unable to verify that the term "reminderDoneTime:day+1" was actually allowed by the search grammar (https://dev.evernote.com/doc/articles/search_grammar.php), so perhaps it's not an actual bug, but it's never made sense to me that using '+' wouldn't be allowed in search so I might stretch to calling it a misfeature; on the other hand, the fact that the web and desktop clients handle it different is definitely confusing to folks who use them both and that doesn't seem right.

Not sure what you're saying here. Created date is set by Evernote at note creation, but is user-modifiable by explicit action (some folks used to use this as a due date back before reminders came to Evernote). Updated date is always set by Evernote when you change note content (but not metadata like tags, etc.)

Are you saying that the web client does this differently than the desktop client?

Or are you saying that a search on "-updated:month-3" includes does something different on the web client than the desktop client?

I was unable to verify that the term "reminderDoneTime:day+1" was actually allowed by the search grammar (https://dev.evernote.com/doc/articles/search_grammar.php), so perhaps it's not an actual bug, but it's never made sense to me that using '+' wouldn't be allowed in search so I might stretch to calling it a misfeature; on the other hand, the fact that the web and desktop clients handle it different is definitely confusing to folks who use them both and that doesn't seem right.

OK I will try and explain what I mean by an example. If I email a note to Evernote using my Evernote private email address then by default the note will go into my default notebook (Inbox). I then launch Evernote Web and see the note there sitting in my Inbox notebook. The note has both created and modified dates assigned to it automatically. However, when I launch the desktop Evernote application the same note has only the created date assigned to it and there is no updated (modified) date on the note. But obviously if I edit the note on the desktop client then the updated date will be assigned to it automatically.

So the term "-updated:month-3" behaves differently on each platform. On Evernote Web it pulls all notes that have not been modified for over 3 months. But on the desktop client it also pulls notes that have no updated date to them (i.e. notes with just the created date). So this confused me initially when I posted my original problem and I thought it was a bug in the client software. But after some time analysing my notes I noticed that adding the term "-created:month-3" to the search solves this problem on desktop client and so both notes are pulled exactly the same on Evernote Web and desktop client.

Maybe, it was me not properly creating the saved search in the first instance. But it worked fine over the last few months that I have been using Evernote Web up until I started using desktop version. But I cracked it now so it's all running nicely.

Evernote Search Grammer (https://dev.evernote.com/doc/articles/search_grammar.php) does actually have some examples of different syntax one can use in search. But you right there is not a specific example of the one I was trying to do (mentioned previously in the post). But that said if it works on Evernote Web and Android app then I would expect it to work on the desktop client also. But suppose can't have everything  :D

Hope I've explained what I mean clearly now.

UPDATE 2: Noticed more bugs in the Evernote desktop client. Thought I'd fixed my saved searches but now I noticed a problem whereby when I create new reminders in Evernote desktop and perform my saved searches the newly created reminders are not pulled out. New reminders created on other platforms (like Evernote Web) are pulled out fine by the saved searches in the client.

Sent an update to Evernote support too so hopefully the bugs can be ironed out with saved searches. But until then I am stuck with using Evernote Web again!

• 1 year later...

Hi all,  I noticed that the returned-search-results are not the same on the mobile versions versus the desktop client for simple "intitle" searching.  If you perform a search for a partial title using the Desktop client no results display. On the mobile versions (i.e. IOs) however, when you perform an intitle search for partial titles, the results will display. 

• Level 5*
9 hours ago, RevKAC said:

I noticed that the returned-search-results are not the same on the mobile versions versus the desktop client for simple "intitle" searching

This is a well-known issue that Evernote has failed to fix for a long time.  Please submit a bug report.

I recommend that everyone who experiences a bug to submit a bug report.  This will make sure that Evernote is aware of the issue, provide your environment data to help identify/fix the issue, and put more pressure on Evernote to fix.

Submit a BUG report via an EN Support Ticket. In the Support Form, select "Report a bug", and start the Ticket Title with "BUG:  " to make it clear.  Reporting a bug should be available to all users, including Free Account owners.  Other Ticket types available to Free users are "Data Loss", "Crash", & "Sync Issue", "Payment/Billing Issue", and  "Log in issues".

Archived