Passphrase for accessing encrypted text

BagelB

You choose the passphrase when you encrypt the text. If you want to chance the pass, you need to select "decrypt text permanently", then re-encrypt it using your new passphrase. 

Encryption only works at the "text level", that is, only on selected text.  Since you cannot encrypt at the note level, you cannot encrypt multiple notes at a time, since you cannot perform any function on any text in multiple notes simultaneously (for example, you cannot bold the text in three notes, you must individually bold text three separate times...). You must enter each note, select all the text you want encrypted, encrypt it, and move to the next note. 

If Evernote ever allows note- or notebook-level encryption, encrypting multiple notes could be a possibility, but until then.... 

• 2 years later...

I had no problem before. But I just tried to encrypt some text, EN did NOT ask me for any passphrase, The text appears locked up immediately without asking for any passphrase. Naturally the "lock" can be opened without any passphrase. What to do?

• Level 5*
7 minutes ago, cpchang said:

But I just tried to encrypt some text, EN did NOT ask me for any passphrase, The text appears locked up immediately without asking for any passphrase. Naturally the "lock" can be opened without any passphrase. What to do?

Which platform? Win/Mac....

Note this is a user discussion forum.
Evernote support is available at
Paid Accounts    Contact Evernote Support 
All Accounts       Twitter @evernotehelps  

• Level 5*
34 minutes ago, cpchang said:

I had no problem before. But I just tried to encrypt some text, EN did NOT ask me for any passphrase, The text appears locked up immediately without asking for any passphrase. Naturally the "lock" can be opened without any passphrase. What to do?

Copy the text and paste it in a new note and encrypt it there.  BTW, I couldn't recreate the encrypting without password so not sure how that happened.  Might be worth a bug report.

ScreenClip.png.5d63f46ff3ae5e80b57446b70ec2a0dd.png

• Level 5*
12 hours ago, cpchang said:

Thanks. I will give it a try. (What you showed was what I always got before.) But this time the dialog box did not appear.

You are welcome.  I think I may have found it.  If you select Remember pass phrase until I quit Evernote when you unlock some encrypted text, when you encrypt something new from that point it encrypts without having to enter a passphrase. That make sense?

ScreenClip.png.9fe2a4aa97e01d63c91560cd31073c30.png

Archived