Request: Remove Annotation Summary

gmalone1

Idea

Bad feature.  Annotation summaries are bad enough to make me stop using this service.  I need to annotate PDFs... a lot.  But the summary pre-pend is, sorry to be so blunt, a stupid idea.  It is clutter.  Annoying.  Disruptive of workflow.

Patch now.  Now.  Please.

• Like 1

16 replies to this idea

On 10/29/2020 at 12:53 PM, gameguyr said:

There actually is not this option you speak of.  This is incorrect.  Get it straight please. 

Screen Shot 2020-10-29 at 12.48.33 PM.png

No need to have an attitude. Annotation settings means when you are annotating the actual item. If you look at the bottom of any screen you are annotating there is a tick box that says something along the lines of include annotation summary or something like that. I believe it's ticked by default. It's not hard to find. However, it's only on the Legacy version at this point, so if you upgrade as of today it won't be there.

I love this feature. It's one of the best things about Evernote annotations in my opinion, though I can see why you and others might have a different preference. Fortunately it's optional to keep us all happy. When I open a pdf to annotate on my mac, there's a little checkbox that says "Include Annotation Summary." If you uncheck it, the summary goes away.

P.S. One thing I strongly dislike about Evernote annotations is that the program does not recognize text in a PDF, so highlighting is not efficient like it is with other programs. But I've raised that in other threads with no solution proposed....

This is the feature that I keep using Evernote for. For long documents this just neatly reminds me of what I had highlighted real quick. And you can always disable the summary page if you wish.

Can you please at least make an option in the settings to turn the summary On and Off. I just spent the whole afternoon trying to sign a pdf and send it back before I finally saw that checkbox with print that is almost white at the bottom of the screen. Today was the closest I came to cancelling my account after many years I was that frustrated with this task that used to be so simple.

Or even, make the summary a separate page at the beginning of the pdf. At least then, you can choose to print out pages 2-end and leave out the summary if wanted. Maybe it's just me but I don't know how having that big prepend at the beginning as part of the document suits anybody but I guess it does. 

Some options please for those of us who don't want it there by default.

Thank you

In response to willysnax:

I certainly support customization features and other features that would make Evernote's settings easier to use/navigate based on individual preferences. 

But note that you do have 2 good options already:

(#1) While you are annotating (at least within the Mac desktop app), there's a checkbox at the bottom of screen where you can choose to turn annotation summaries off. Perhaps Evernote should make it bigger or more obvious, but it's there. It takes just one quick click. About 1 second of your time. Sorry you spent an afternoon on it, but you won't need to do that again now that you see the simple checkbox.

(#2) You suggest "mak[ing] the summary a separate page at the beginning of the pdf," but isn't this how Evernote already works? I just tested this (running Evernote on Mac desktop) by annotating a pdf, and the summaries appeared as a separate page at the beginning of the PDF, just as you suggest. Then if you go to print, you can easily exclude the first page (or any other page). (Or you can go back into the annotation and do option #1 above.

That said, having something in settings to set a default option (annotations on or annotations off) would certainly be useful as well!

• Like 1
On 8/4/2016 at 1:50 PM, willysnax said:

Can you please at least make an option in the settings to turn the summary On and Off. I just spent the whole afternoon trying to sign a pdf and send it back before I finally saw that checkbox with print that is almost white at the bottom of the screen. Today was the closest I came to cancelling my account after many years I was that frustrated with this task that used to be so simple.

Or even, make the summary a separate page at the beginning of the pdf. At least then, you can choose to print out pages 2-end and leave out the summary if wanted. Maybe it's just me but I don't know how having that big prepend at the beginning as part of the document suits anybody but I guess it does. 

Thank you

This option is already there. There's a box in settings that you can untick if you don't want the annotation summary to show. 

On 8/4/2016 at 1:50 PM, willysnax said:

Thank you

I have to agree. The checkbox is in a terrible place. Options of this nature should never be hidden or made obscure. When you select the option to make a annotation, you should be asked if you want the summary included. Otherwise why include something that will double you file size on save?

On 8/7/2016 at 8:21 AM, Sayre Ambrosio said:

This option is already there. There's a box in settings that you can untick if you don't want the annotation summary to show. 

There actually is not this option you speak of.  This is incorrect.  Get it straight please. 

Screen Shot 2020-10-29 at 12.48.33 PM.png

Thank you Sayre. That is just what I am trying to explain to Gameguyr. if he doesn't think the option exists, try annotating any Evernote pdf. When you are annotating, look down at the bottom of the annotating window, the checkbox for the option to include the annotation summary  will be there. I could clip any .pdf note in Evernote, and post the screen shot, if Gameguyr does not believe it.

• Like 1

I am using Evernote 7.14,  on mac OS High Sierra. The misunderstanding apparently stems from my using an older version of Evernote.

I think at the time of my original post on how to not include the annotation summary, the advice I gave was current and correct, and if you are still using Evernote 7.14,, the advice I gave was correct, and still is.

Edited by t_varion
I combined the text of a post I deleted with the text of the following post