(Archived) Adding and searching Microsoft Word documents

Hi

I just signed up for a premium account because I want to be able to add more file types into Evernote.

I am currently interested in adding some Microsoft Word documents.

If I email them as attachments - they appear as attachements in the note, but are not searchable.

If I drag them into the note - they appear as attachements in the note, but are not searchable.

If I select all of the text and clip it - the text is added and is searchable but: the text is all double spaced making it difficult to read and the title does not get set to the Word doc filename, which it does through the first 2 methods.

How can I get the file into a note, displayed without double spacing and searchable and with a title that matches the filename?

Thanks

Chris

engberg has said time and time again that EN would LOVE to support the searching of other document types, e.g., word docs. But it's a big undertaking and they're not there yet.

So, your word docs and NOT searchable by EN.

Some options off the top of my head:

* save or print your word docs as pdf

* get yourself a desktop search engine (e.g., copernic, google, windows version, etc.) and search your docs from outside of EN

Thanks for the insight - I didn't realize that.

Well that was a waste of $45!

Converting all the files to PDF is a pain - I wish the copy/paste wouldn't double space everything and make it difficult to read - it is less time consuming that converting to PDF.

engberg has said time and time again that EN would LOVE to support the searching of other document types, e.g., word docs. But it's a big undertaking and they're not there yet.

So, your word docs and NOT searchable by EN.

And (one of) the most recent posts was two days ago:

viewtopic.php?f=37&t=11949

Thanks for the insight - I didn't realize that.

Well that was a waste of $45!

Converting all the files to PDF is a pain - I wish the copy/paste wouldn't double space everything and make it difficult to read - it is less time consuming that converting to PDF.

If you consider the $45 a waste, perhaps you should have researched the product more thoroughly. Having said that, I can see where copying/pasting & having double spaces in a note can be annoying. But if you really have that many notes that it's much too time consuming (or tedious) to remove the double spacing, then I'd definitely think the ability to search would override the annoyance of the double spacing.

And (one of) the most recent posts was two days ago:

viewtopic.php?f=37&t=11949

Thanks - I didn't see that - I don't spend much time on the forum, but I do use Evernote regularly nowadays.

If you consider the $45 a waste, perhaps you should have researched the product more thoroughly.

I most definitely should have. Without this, there is nothing I need from the Premium package. With that said, I am using Evernote quite a lot, both personally and at work, so I don't really begrudge them my $45.

But if you really have that many notes that it's much too time consuming (or tedious) to remove the double spacing,

Double spacing is my biggest complaint with the product - if I could figure out how to remove the double spacing I would give it a try, but my manual efforts at removing them have all failed. The only notes that I am able to add correctly are those that have come from a Unix system - I am sure this is due to Unix using just line feed for its line termination rather than carriage return/line feed in Windows (BTW I am running Evernote in the Windows client - I tried 3.5 but it still has the double spacing).

Thanks

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

I have gotten around my double spacing issue - it was so simple I don't; know why it too me so long.

Instead of doing a straight paste, I do a "Paste Special" and various options there remove the double spacing.

Duh!

Converting to PDF is not very hard either. I have a similar situation to you where I need to use the word document for templates but I need the PDF for searching. So I print to PDF (this can be done on Mac automatically, a save as on most versions of word, or as a PDF printer (plenty of free apps out there, I use doPDF I think). I then toss the PDF and the word doc in the same note. This lets me search it but then use the doc as a template whenever I want.

Alternatively, you could use your premium account to store and archive those doc's but at the same time do your copy and paste thing so you can search the content. Just attach the file to the same note you pasted from and you'll have easy access to it whenever you want it.

Archived