Idea

• Replies 811
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Posts

I love Evernote, but it's preventing me from putting in sensitive content. For example, I can't keep a personal journal notebook, because other people (i.e. girlfriend, family members, etc.) could one

Hi, I love evernote, but i'd also love to have the feature of a simple password protection on notebooks so i can lock semi-sensitive stuff like a diary and fiction writing. I'm not asking for full on

I'm OK with my notebook being gone if I forget my encryption key... that is fine I need the ability to fully encrypt notebooks as well.... I realize you can encrypt pieces of individual notes but tha

Posted Images

• Level 5*
18 minutes ago, William Freire said:

Password for notebooks

Your post has been merged with an ongoing discussion for this feature
To indicate support, use the vote button at the top left corner of the discussion

Member since 2011 and a paid member since soon after that...and this has been the number one feature on my list for years. 

Specifically I would love the ability to encrypt an entire notebook.

To ease concerns over the data being stored in a cloud anyway, it would need to be encrypted locally with the private key generated and stored locally so that it is only in the control of the user. These encrypted notebooks do not need to be ocr'able or searchable. 

I've tried various other commercial solutions and it just sucks having to use two options, especially for EN since I'm tempted to switch over all my non-sensitive data too.

• Level 5*
6 hours ago, Rishan said:

Specifically I would love the ability to encrypt an entire notebook.
To ease concerns over the data being stored in a cloud anyway, it would need to be encrypted locally with the private key generated and stored locally

I would like the entire note database encrypted; end-to-end
I don't need more passwords; the Evernote account password works for me

• Level 5

One aspect not to forget about: When Fully encrypted, the server will stop to work for these notes or notebooks. No indexing, no OCR, no search, no web client etc.

Today if content in a note is encrypted, the note itself can still be found, by title, tags or text in the not encrypted part.

This is not an argument against encryption (I have vote for it as well), but something to keep in mind.

• Level 5*
17 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

One aspect not to forget about: When Fully encrypted, the server will stop to work for these notes or notebooks. No indexing, no OCR, no search, no web client etc.

I would like to see the note content encrypted but metadata left unencrypted.  I think that would be a reasonable tradeoff between security and searching.

• Like 1

I just assumed this feature was available, after years of using Evernote, and only now that I need it I see it doesn't exist. Why can't the text area passcode be applied to a notebook? I have to have evernote open and available for work, but I would like to also have a private notebook that isn't shared with anyone who happens to use my desktop. Please please make it possible to password lock individual notes or, even better, an entire notebook.

• Level 5*
On 4/3/2013 at 9:51 PM, EvernoteLover9 said:

Evernote already has the ability to encrypt single notes.

Actually encryption is currently restricted to text within a note

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 11/6/2020 at 9:02 PM, DTLow said:

Actually encryption is currently restricted to text within a note

It's worse than this.  Even if you have a bullet list in your text, you cannot encrypt it.  Try it.  No reasonable way to encrypt meeting notes for example as they generally have some markup. 

• Sad 1
  • Level 5*
47 minutes ago, #pacman said:

No reasonable way to encrypt meeting notes for example as they generally have some markup. 

We don't usually create meeting notes using the Evernote editor

I use Notability on an iPad with an Apple Pencil    
The notes are stored in Evernote in pdf format - easy to encrypt

MS Word might be more common, stored in Evernote in .doc format - also easy to encrypt