default logon view humiliation!

For Windows users, check out Enscript to launch Evernote with a custom query   
Mac users can use Applescript   
This can be used to exclude nsfw notes

1 hour ago, DTLow said:

For Windows users, check out Enscript to launch Evernote with a custom query   
Mac users can use Applescript   
This can be used to exclude nsfw notes

Thanks for the workaround, @DTLow. I'm glad to try something, at least until we get the solution we'd like ...

I love the idea of password-protecting notebooks!  That would be so useful!  It amazes me that this thread was started in 2013 though, and we still can't do it.  Is it that difficult?

I've been using EN since 2008!  Still love it, but this and stacks within stacks are the only two features I'm still waiting for....

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
18 minutes ago, William Freire said:

Password for notebooks

Your post has been merged with an ongoing discussion for this feature
To indicate support, use the vote button at the top left corner of the discussion

Member since 2011 and a paid member since soon after that...and this has been the number one feature on my list for years. 

Specifically I would love the ability to encrypt an entire notebook.

To ease concerns over the data being stored in a cloud anyway, it would need to be encrypted locally with the private key generated and stored locally so that it is only in the control of the user. These encrypted notebooks do not need to be ocr'able or searchable. 

I've tried various other commercial solutions and it just sucks having to use two options, especially for EN since I'm tempted to switch over all my non-sensitive data too.

• Like 3
  • Level 5*
6 hours ago, Rishan said:

Specifically I would love the ability to encrypt an entire notebook.
To ease concerns over the data being stored in a cloud anyway, it would need to be encrypted locally with the private key generated and stored locally

I would like the entire note database encrypted; end-to-end
I don't need more passwords; the Evernote account password works for me

• Level 5

One aspect not to forget about: When Fully encrypted, the server will stop to work for these notes or notebooks. No indexing, no OCR, no search, no web client etc.

Today if content in a note is encrypted, the note itself can still be found, by title, tags or text in the not encrypted part.

This is not an argument against encryption (I have vote for it as well), but something to keep in mind.

• Level 5*
17 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

One aspect not to forget about: When Fully encrypted, the server will stop to work for these notes or notebooks. No indexing, no OCR, no search, no web client etc.

I would like to see the note content encrypted but metadata left unencrypted.  I think that would be a reasonable tradeoff between security and searching.

• Like 2

I just assumed this feature was available, after years of using Evernote, and only now that I need it I see it doesn't exist. Why can't the text area passcode be applied to a notebook? I have to have evernote open and available for work, but I would like to also have a private notebook that isn't shared with anyone who happens to use my desktop. Please please make it possible to password lock individual notes or, even better, an entire notebook.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
On 4/3/2013 at 9:51 PM, EvernoteLover9 said:

Evernote already has the ability to encrypt single notes.

Actually encryption is currently restricted to text within a note

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 11/6/2020 at 9:02 PM, DTLow said:

Actually encryption is currently restricted to text within a note

It's worse than this.  Even if you have a bullet list in your text, you cannot encrypt it.  Try it.  No reasonable way to encrypt meeting notes for example as they generally have some markup. 

• Sad 1
  • Level 5*
47 minutes ago, #pacman said:

No reasonable way to encrypt meeting notes for example as they generally have some markup. 

We don't usually create meeting notes using the Evernote editor

I use Notability on an iPad with an Apple Pencil    
The notes are stored in Evernote in pdf format - easy to encrypt

MS Word might be more common, stored in Evernote in .doc format - also easy to encrypt

Hi, put my vote in for password-protected notebooks, please.

I want to use Evernote for personal journaling, migrating from Penzu, and since I use Evernote for work and random notes it is often already open on my computer/phone. I don't particularly need encryption but definitely would like to keep my personal journal away from family and friends. thanks!

It is really amazing that this feature is not available.
I wonder how many europeans actually violate data protections laws and
employee/customer contracts b/c the data is stored in cloud storage which might not be
in europe and you can not ensure that the data is unusable when a data breach
happens at evernote or the cloud provider. Really can not recommend evernote
for anything sensitive.

This thread started 2013. now it's 2021. if you cannot implement password protected notebooks in 8 yrs, where users are basically telling you on 9 pages of this forum, over 8yrs to implement simple feature, it's clear that this app is not actively developed anymore... and that this company is not really concerned with users security...

On 8/28/2018 at 11:38 AM, Shane D. said:

Hi All,

You may have noticed that all threads requesting Password Protected Notebooks have been merged into this thread, regardless of platform specificity.

(This is a separate request from the ability password protect the Evernote App itself)

This was done in order to better enable us to quantify and qualify user requests, and amplify their voice.

While this does not mean this is a feature that will be coming, we certainly want to relay user feedback/sentiment to our various teams.

Moving forward, please put all commentary and votes for Password Protected Notebooks here!

Can Evernote at least acknowledge that you are considering this feature of password protected notebooks? I have been premium subscriber for more than 13 years. I really like EN and want to renew my premium subscription, but now that you have taken away "Local Notebooks" feature, which was my workaround for privacy issues with cloud notebooks, the latest version has made it even more difficult to use EN. If OneNote can provide password protected notebooks, why cant EN consider this feature?

I am okay with general notes in the cloud, but really don't want to put the sensitive information, where EN employees or unauthorized person can access my sensitive personal data. Password protected notebooks provides that level of assurance to make sure my data is secure and protected in the cloud. Your customers have been asking this feature for years, I hope you care enough about your customers to at least acknowledge that you are working or not planning to deliver this feature. 

Moving more than a decade worth of data out of EN is not easy. I can wait for couple of months for this feature, if you can at least acknowledge that this feature is coming. If you don't plan to listen to your customers, then I guess there is no choice but to go through that pain of moving my data out of EN. I know there are tools to migrate the data from EN, but they don't they don't work exactly the way you want. It's painful exercise, but if EN doesn't have any plans to deliver password protected notebooks, then I'll go through that pain. My patience is now wearing off.. 

I hope to hear from EN a definitive answer on this topic. 

• Like 1

100% support of this. 

The ability to have 'hidden' / 'private' notebooks with an extra password for day to day personal notes - same issues as above, kids, family, colleagues seeing more personal notes in error. EN bills as being for work and life - as such this is a fairly basic request and need to ensure there is appropriate separation.

• Like 3
On 2/7/2021 at 1:23 AM, D2K said:

Can Evernote at least acknowledge that you are considering this feature of password protected notebooks? I have been premium subscriber for more than 13 years. I really like EN and want to renew my premium subscription, but now that you have taken away "Local Notebooks" feature, which was my workaround for privacy issues with cloud notebooks....

Exactly! It seems they are "challenging" us, to see who will stand longer despite their lack of any reaction. Apart from local notebooks, with new updates some basic features such as drag and drop (from EN to mail for example) are simply gone.

Also, I may sound like "so 90's" but is printing a "lost art"? I mean, in old versions it was bad, but in the new one - half of the page is missing! Incredible.

Anyhow, as with earlier comments, I expect moderator to delete my post as I am probably not complying to rules but hey, whatever....

• Like 2

We really need to be able to decide to fully encrypt a notebook. 

Even if i trust in Evernote as a company, data breach will occur.

The only question is when. I cannot take this risk for my customers 

This would be a killing feature 

It has been 8 years since this was first requested and from what I can see, Evernote has  been completely silent on this issue. Even with the frequency of recent changes and updates, not a word about giving the user an option to encrypt complete notes or notebooks. 

• Like 2

Evernote has got a good process now. I am member of evernote since 10 years, unfortunately the password protecting of notebooks is not realized yet. This would be a good time to add this. OneNote has this feature since years.

@Evernote: please, let us know your feature roadmap.

• Like 2

Bumping this again for the hundredth time in 7+ years (you know, as just one of the thousands of Evernote users who want this). I LOVE Evernote and am a long time happy paying Premium paid customer, but the fact that so many customers have been vocal about wanting this for half the company's existence and that they haven't added it is baffling to me. It's a huge miss on listening to paying customers!

I consider myself a power user as I use the product for work and personal and have created 10K+ notes since becoming a customer. The product is literally woven into the workflow of my day. This feature has so many use-cases that benefits customers and there literally isn't a month that goes by that I don't think about how nice having this feature would be. One use case that I think drives the need for this feature more than ever is the current shift to work-from-home and therefore the heavy use of Zoom/WebEx type solutions. I have to constantly be careful to not accidentally screenshare one of my personal Evernote folders because I capture everything under the son in this folder (journaling, personal goals, grocery lists, profanity laced streams of conscious when I'm upset about something, lol). I know you can choose to share apps only, but I often have internal team meetings where it's easier to share one of my monitors so I can pop in and out of apps as I work through an agenda. I actually slipped up recently and someone saw some of the note titles in my personal folder and laughed that they saw a grocery list...I got lucky as it could have just as easily been a far more embarrassing note.  It sort of made me mad at that moment that Evernote still doesn't have at least the following: Simple password protection on folders that you designate should have them and could be configured to require login if you hadn't used this folder for some set period of times that are configurable. This not only makes your personal info easier to secure from a general data protection standpoint, but it also makes it much harder to accidentally expose personal info in situations where others may have visibility to your device...be it over your shoulder or on a webcast meeting. At a very minimum, give users the ability to "hide" folders if they can't password protect....although I'd still be really disappointed if this is all they did. 

I know there is an encrypted note feature, which I use often, but the feature is pretty clunky and only can encrypt text without any formatting whatsoever (no images, webpage clips, etc.). I like that feature for user/passwords protection, but a more general ability to secure an entire folder (doesn't even need to be encrypted if that's the challenge for Evernote, just pw protected!) would be far easier and far more convenient for those people that, you know, pay for your product. IMO, this is a common sense convenience feature as much, or more so, than it is a security feature.

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE add this feature Evernote! I love your product and want to promote it to others without hesitation, but I always feel obligated to mention that I think you could do a much better job listening to your customers. Help me help you, Evernote!

(steps off soapbox, wipes brow, decides to go with decaf for next coffee fill).

Thank you! 

Please add private notebooks to Evernote!!! I have been using Evernote for only a relatively short time, maybe a little over a year, but already I can't imagine life without it. I depend on it to store all my various notes and information... except one. As a family genealogist, I have downloaded the RAW DNA files of several members of my family for use in vital but sensitive analysis, and store it hidden on my laptop. If the files are ever lost and the person whose DNA it was has passed away, it can never be recovered. But as non-so-frequently accessed items, I often cannot remember where I have hidden it! And I seldom have it handy when I need it, since it is on my laptop. Since it is not "text," I can't figure out how to encrypt it on Evernote. I need a private notebook in Evernote to store these important documents. Please, please, please add this function.

Damn... wanted to move ahead with EN Premium but gonna have to search elsewhere because of this one single essential feature :(