Idea

3 minutes ago, RgaDawg said:

Encrypting text is certainly useful, but clumsy
Encrypting an entire Notebook would be so very awesome

Encrypting the entire database would be so very secure

1 hour ago, DTLow said:

Encrypting the entire database would be so very secure

You can do this on local disk with a tool like VeraCrypt, though that doesn't help with EN servers.  Mount the volume that contains EN (VeraCrypt speak), use EN as per usual for however long, dismount the volume when done and your EN data is just a blob on the disk.  You can do this for your whole disk if you like, not a place I need to go.  FWIW.

On 9/13/2019 at 3:40 PM, CalS said:

You cado this on local disk with a tool like VeraCrypt, though that doesn't help with EN servers

I have no concern with security on my devices; I have protection at the OS and Evernote account levels

My concern is with database security at the server level.  I require encryption before I allow the upload of sensitive data to the servers

16 hours ago, DTLow said:

My concern is with database security at the server level.

My understanding is that your EN dB is encrypted at the server level already, as well as transport.

3 hours ago, RgaDawg said:

My understanding is that your EN dB is encrypted at the server level already, as well as transport.

At the server, Evernote data is "encrypted at rest"; but not encrypted while the data is being processed (OCR, indexing, ...)

Also, users do not hold the encryption key to their data

+1 for this feature request. I can't keep a daily journal or save personal things because there are things I wouldn't like my BF to see.

Would love to see the ability to encrypt a note or notebook this would allow us to keep secure images, tables and attachments. 

And with Evernote wanting to sell a business platform this would help keep information from certain users on a business plan viewing notes etc
And give piece of mind to security and IT teams for the safe storage of information offsite. 

This thread was created in 2013 and there are many replies on 2018. My current posting date is Oct 2019 and still this basic feature is not implemented. This is very basic and important feature for privacy and still not done yet in Evernote. Are all Developers or Support members sleeping?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TheTechGuy said:

This thread was created in 2013 and there are many replies on 2018. My current posting date is Oct 2019 and still this basic feature is not implemented. This is very basic and important feature for privacy and still not done yet in Evernote. Are all Developers or Support members sleeping?

Indeed!

I submitted a comment to this thread a long time ago. I'm frustrated that we can't encrypt our EN databases on Google Cloud with our own security keys. It's not enough that the data is encrypted in transit. And it's not enough that EN databases are encrypted at rest by Google Cloud. Users need to hold the encryption keys. Otherwise, I can't put sensitive information in my EverNote notebooks. I sent an email to EverNote support yesterday pointing out the fact (100% certain) that the addition of encryption would triple their sales. Here's the response:   "Our development team regularly reviews feedback submitted through our Forums in hopes of creating the best product and experience for our users. We can’t commit to getting all feature requests into the product.  I hope this information was helpful and solved the issue."

34 minutes ago, AWS_solution_architect_DC said:

Otherwise, I can't put sensitive information in my EverNote notebooks.

You can certainly put encrypted attachments into an Evernote note. Not as convenient, but I know for a fact that some folks do this.

35 minutes ago, AWS_solution_architect_DC said:

I sent an email to EverNote support yesterday pointing out the fact (100% certain) that the addition of encryption would triple their sales.

That sounds like something that would be interesting to all of us. Care to share?

3 hours ago, AWS_solution_architect_DC said:

Users need to hold the encryption keys. Otherwise, I can't put sensitive information in my EverNote notebooks

I also believe my sensitive data has to be encrypted

There's noting preventing us from encrypting our data
Evernote has a text encryption feature, and I use the native encryption in attachments; pdfs, office/iWork documends, ...

On 10/10/2019 at 11:27 AM, TheTechGuy said:

Are all Developers or Support members sleeping?

Nobody is sleeping. Developers develop the features that they're told to develop. Support folks report when there's some news. The company -- obviously -- hasn't prioritized this feature, so the developers are working on other stuff, and there's no new news to report here on the feature.

10 hours ago, AWS_solution_architect_DC said:

I submitted a comment to this thread a long time ago. I'm frustrated that we can't encrypt our EN databases on Google Cloud with our own security keys. It's not enough that the data is encrypted in transit. And it's not enough that EN databases are encrypted at rest by Google Cloud. Users need to hold the encryption keys. Otherwise, I can't put sensitive information in my EverNote notebooks. I sent an email to EverNote support yesterday pointing out the fact (100% certain) that the addition of encryption would triple their sales.

I fully trust the encrypted transmission and Google's could platform to keep data encrypted on servers. I don't think Google has ever had any issues with data breeches, encryption breeches. Encrypting an entire Notebook, or especially a note, rather than just selected text would be convenient, but It's just not that hard to select text > encrypt for the sensitive pieces. You can even (windoze) Ctl+A to select entire note, encrypt. However, it will not encrypt if there are images, attachments embedded.

This feature REQ has been around a very long time and my take is that EN development team just doesn't see encryption breeches as much of a real threat. Encrypting selected text is just for client side and I have my PC pswd protected in addition to encrypting selected sensitive text. Just my 2 cents worth.

8 hours ago, RgaDawg said:

I fully trust the encrypted transmission and Google's could platform to keep data encrypted on servers. I don't think Google has ever had any issues with data breeches, encryption breeches. Encrypting an entire Notebook, or especially a note, rather than just selected text would be convenient, but It's just not that hard to select text > encrypt for the sensitive pieces. You can even (windoze) Ctl+A to select entire note, encrypt. However, it will not encrypt if there are images, attachments embedded.

This feature REQ has been around a very long time and my take is that EN development team just doesn't see encryption breeches as much of a real threat. Encrypting selected text is just for client side and I have my PC pswd protected in addition to encrypting selected sensitive text. Just my 2 cents worth.

I also trust the EV and Google encryption, but there's still a local privacy matter, at least that's my only concern. For example, I've my digital personal journals in EV and I don't want my boyfriend to read it in my PC. Encrypting every note for this kind of things is just overkill. If I could encrypt the entire notebook, that would be much easier.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Zenaida said:

but there's still a local privacy matter, at least that's my only concern. I've my digital personal journals in EV and I don't want my boyfriend to read it in my PC.

My computer is  secure
I use password protection for my computer login (each user)

Also password protection for my Evernote login

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, DTLow said:

My computer is  secure

I have seen this argument raised in the past against the need for this feature, and clearly the majority of people who have asked repeatedly for this feature don't find it compelling. If you don't see the need to provide an additional level of client side security on certain notebooks then fine, but a lot of people do. If I step away from my computer for a few minutes and the screen lock doesn't kick in, I don't want others to gain access to this information. Sure, I could cut the screen-lock time down but then I end up unlocking it a million times a day. I also don't want to log out of Evernote every time I use it as most of the information that I keep isn't sensitive. I am also sure that I would forget to logout and again the information in left open. Computer login and Evernote login capabilities are possibilities but they certainly aren't convenient or realistic in my environment. All we want is a simple password, how hard can it be?

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Pastor-Luke said:

I have seen this argument raised in the past against the need for this feature

I was advising @Zenaida on protecting personal journals from being read by a boyfriend

>>All we want is a simple password

A third password  
To indicate your support for this feature, use the vote button at the top left corner of the discussion

It is extremly disheartening to read the email in September from Evernote's CEO.  He was proudly talking about progress they have made so far in 2019. In January he had announced 2029 would be a year they would "run dark" by not pushing out intermediate small updates so their brainiacs could concentrate on a major rethink/overhaul of the entire evernote platform and services. NOWHERE in his laundry list of things they are working on is anything about encryption.  I use EN because i use it on multiple devices i use daily. While i use their clunky single file encryption to lock my password vault file...by far the most important thing i do with EN...it does not work on each platform the same way.  Worst thing for me is i cant edit the file through the windows browser portal. I can read it OK using the file's pwd, but cant edit it. That really undercuts what i need the vault for...to keep up with the neverending requirements to change pwds frequently on some websites. Nor can i add new user ids with a pwd which happens frequently. Having to remember the my new info and wait until i get to the "right" platform is EXACTLY what i need a vault for in the first place. If i could remember the darn thing i would'nt need a vault to begin with

50 minutes ago, Abter1 said:

NOWHERE in his laundry list of things they are working on is anything about encryption.

Agreed; additional encryption resources does not seem to be a priority for Evernote

>>While i use their clunky single file encryption to lock my password vault file...

I wasn't aware of a "single file encryption" feature

I encrypt/decrypt file attachments using the feature in the native applications

>>Nor can i add new user ids with a pwd which happens frequently. 

I don't know what this means

From how I see it, it may be no priority because it would not be easy to integrate.

Basically each note is something like a little web page. A notebook is a collection of pages. If the notebook would need to be encrypted, it would need to be de-cryptable on all devices. This would mean to get this into all clients, plus build a robust key-exchange process to make sure the lock is there when the user inserts his key (the private code to decrypt).

From the structure of EN it seems it is much easier to encrypt something in a note (=web page) than a whole structure of web pages.

This is not to tell it would not be good to have it (I added my vote to this quite a while ago), or that I do not think it should be pushed up the list. It looks like one of the changes that do not go well when you try to de-complex and straighten your existing code base.

P.S. Even when it is possible to manage passwords in EN, I think there is much more to a decent password manager than just an encoded space into which I can save my passwords. If I have this need, I would always go for the real stuff. There are no-cost solutions that are quite powerful, and others that will cost a buck, but offer more comfort / functions. Personally I use 1Password and would not switch to EN even if full encryption would be available there.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DTLow said:

My computer is  secure

Many thanks for the advice! 

My PC is secure too, I mean my User is password-protected. However, I´m the only User here because I really don't see the need of creating a new Guest user that would be barely used. It´s not as if my BF asks, "hey, what´s the PC login so I can run a music playlist or check something in Google" and I won't tell him (I don´t have NASA-worthy information in here haha).

All in all, to be honest, this feature is not really a deal-breaker for me - I can certainly leave without it. I know it is important for many people though. (Actually, I tested OneNote for about a week - ON does have this feature, among other cool features like text-to-speech - but I switched back to EN and I´m happy about my decision - I was mainly frustrated by ON tags and sync issues.

What I'm really doing is, I removed the EV desktop shortcut, removed the taskbar shortcut, and removed the "Recently Used Software" feature in the Start Menu. I added a keyboard shortcut to EV and I make sure of closing the EV window when I´m leaving my PC.  So no, I didn't password-protect EV login because I want to access it quickly too. My main thinking is, if he doesn't know that I'm using this app, there's no reason for him to check it out of curiosity lol. 

5 hours ago, Pastor-Luke said:

I have seen this argument raised in the past against the need for this feature, and clearly the majority of people who have asked repeatedly for this feature don't find it compelling. If you don't see the need to provide an additional level of client side security on certain notebooks then fine, but a lot of people do. If I step away from my computer for a few minutes and the screen lock doesn't kick in, I don't want others to gain access to this information. Sure, I could cut the screen-lock time down but then I end up unlocking it a million times a day. I also don't want to log out of Evernote every time I use it as most of the information that I keep isn't sensitive. I am also sure that I would forget to logout and again the information in left open. Computer login and Evernote login capabilities are possibilities but they certainly aren't convenient or realistic in my environment. All we want is a simple password, how hard can it be?

Indeed!

I found the "note presentation" feature in EV quite cool; I don´t see myself using it like never ever, but surely many people find it useful. The same with password protected notebooks in EV - a feature 450+ people have voted up for. 

I also don´t see myself adding a password in EV login because I want to access it quickly. It´s just overkill for the kind of information I store in there.

2 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Even when it is possible to manage passwords in EN, I think there is much more to a decent password manager than just an encoded space into which I can save my passwords. If I have this need, I would always go for the real stuff. There are no-cost solutions that are quite powerful, and others that will cost a buck, but offer more comfort / functions. Personally I use 1Password and would not switch to EN even if full encryption would be available there.

Yep, I also don´t believe one app should be used for everything. EN is a note-taking app, not a password manager. I've used Lastpass for about 2 years and I wouldn´t store my passwords in Evernote either.  Lastpass autofills login info automatically, it generates secure passwords, and has other login-security features that EV would never match, because EV isn´t designed for that!

3 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Personally I use 1Password and would not switch to EN even if full encryption would be available there.

6 minutes ago, Zenaida said:

I've used Lastpass for about 2 years and I wouldn´t store my passwords in Evernote either.

I've been using Bitwarden for password management, although Apple has sherlocked the function with keychain

I see no problem with storing passwords in Evernote if they're encrypted. Evernote has text encryption, and I use the native encryption of file attachments

17 minutes ago, DTLow said:

I see no problem with storing passwords in Evernote if they're encrypted. Evernote has text encryption, and I use the native encryption of file attachments

Yep, but what about autofill and password generation?

Haven´t used file attachment encryption but definitively will check it out!

DTLow asked "

>>Nor can i add new user ids with a pwd which happens frequently. 

I don't know what this means"

I keep a PWD-protected file in evernote with a list of all my log-in IDs and pwds.  There are quite a number of them;  vendors I do business with, utilities I pay bills to, by beloved backgammon site.  I frequently have to change the stored pwds for a particular site, and also have to enter login info for a new site periodically  My preferred way to access evernote is via the web access portal from a Windows computer.  I can open the file fine (after giving it the proper pwd), but cannot edit it via the Windows portal.  I can do it from my phone and tablet, but my fat fingers don't type nearly on  a small screen as well I can on a full keyboard.

Using EN for Password management is like using a Multitool for a serious handcrafting job: It will do, but without excellence, and it will not spark joy while doing. I think there are many good reasons for encrypting entire notebooks - for storing passwords the note encryption feature is already enough, if one decides to use it for this purpose.

Premium user for over 5 years and this has been my number one request for a long time. Please can we password protect entire notebooks. That was we can use Notebooks the way there were intended while securing sensitive subjects.

Any Form of Security Feature (Password/ Fingerprint Authentication / PinCode, etc) is MUCH NEEDED for Notebooks And Notes!

A Huge number of E.Note users create shareable public links which MUST be protected for the privacy of the content (which is highly confidential or v.personal at times).

Thnx! 😊

• Like 1

Needs improvement:  I would like to see Evernote's encryption capability increased.  Currently I can only encrypt text,  I would like the option to encrypt images, full pages and notebooks

• Like 1

This would be a great feature.  I was just looking for a way to password protect a whole notebook.

I'm going to start by saying that: I think what people actually want when they say Privacy is client side encryption.

I've been an Evernote user for over ten years and I can happity imagine myself using it for a lifetime. Except for one key issue: my data is shared with Evernote.

I can't have a private journal or store any other potentially sensitive information in Evernote becuase that information is sat unencrypted on someone elses datastore.

The legal field has taken the stance that privacy essentially ends at the walls of our homes, data stored in the cloud doesn't have the same protections as a written diary kept at home.

Without attempting to quantify how much of a person's data is 'private' we can safely say it's non-zero.

As much as I love evernote I'm often looking on the market to find an alternative that is client side encrypted. If I ever find one I would migrate immediately, in fact I would probably become overnight a "one true fan" of that product and tell everyone I know about it because I wanted their business to succeed.

I love the idea of evernote - and the excellent implementation. I would dearly love for Evernote to also cater for my need for true privacy with some of my data.

Please implement client side encryption based passwords.

As a side note I'm guessing that Evernote's implementation of 'encrypted' data is fundametally flawed. I know of one person who lost in excess of a million dollars from storing credentials to access his accounts in 'encrypted' evernote notebooks. Would I be right in thinking that enencrypting a section of a note in one notebook broadcasts the unencrypted data to all connected devices? And of course to Evernote too.

On 12/3/2019 at 10:18 AM, ryan1234 said:

I'm going to start by saying that: I think what people actually want when they say Privacy is client side encryption.

I'm using a Mac and iPad   
I have no concerns about my "client side"; my devices are secure   
My concern is for when my data leaves my device for storage in the cloud

>>I know of one person who lost in excess of a million dollars from storing credentials to access his accounts in 'encrypted' evernote notebooks. 

I make sure my sensitive data is encrypted before storing in Evernote sync'd notebooks 

On 12/3/2019 at 8:57 PM, DTLow said:

I'm using a Mac and iPad   
I have no concerns about my "client side"; my devices are secure   
My concern is for when my leaves my device for storage in the cloud

>>I know of one person who lost in excess of a million dollars from storing credentials to access his accounts in 'encrypted' evernote notebooks. 

I make sure my sensitive data is encrypted before storing in Evernote sync'd notebooks 

Client side encryption refers to the data in the cloud being encrypted. i.e. it's encrypted on your laptop and Evernote's cloud never sees the unencrypted data. It doesn't mean the data is stored encrypted on the client. Interesting you point that out though, it hasn't occured to me that the term was potentially confusing.

On 12/14/2019 at 9:52 AM, ryan1234 said:

Client side encryption refers to the data in the cloud being encrypted. i.e. it's encrypted on your laptop and Evernote's cloud never sees the unencrypted data. It doesn't mean the data is stored encrypted on the client. Interesting you point that out though, it hasn't occured to me that the term was potentially confusing.

I believe you can encrypt your client side data using something like VeraCrypt at the file level or the system level.  And there are other tools to encrypt at the system level.  With VeraCrypt your app runs as normal but the data is encrypted.  You have to create a "container" and open it as a "volume" (M: for example) in their parlance.

I do not use VeraCrypt for EN but I do use VeraCrypt for financial data backed up to the cloud. 

+1 I'd also like the feature to password protect a notebook. It's the one thing that stops me using Evernote for a journal or personal information.

27 minutes ago, thestormtrooper said:

+1

The vote button is at the top left corner of the discussion

Is this feature available yet? Looks like this thread is 7 years running and a pretty obvious feature (password protecting at notebook level)? Is there another note taking app that offers such a thing?

On 4/3/2013 at 9:51 PM, EvernoteLover9 said:

So it looks like over a year since the last post to this. Seriously, how is this not implemented already? Password protection seems like a very basic feature to me. I'm surprised it hasn't kept Evernote from growing. 

Agree that this would be a great feature. I am planning to use Evernote to replace my current password safe, but need notebook password protection before I can do this.

I'm a heavy EN user and I can't believe that in 2020 I still can't lock a notebook with a password or at least have a passcode on the Mac app. 

This request has been here for years.  They have an an encryption feature but if your text has bullet points or other markup, Evernote won't encrypt it.  Evernote also doesn't ask you to type in the encryption password twice.  So mistype the password, your text is now unrecoverable.  So it's minimal.  With all the press regarding privacy, you would think this is an easy grab for Evernote.  But I'm tired of waiting for it and checking out other products.

Dropbox and Evernote both. Ignoring encryption and leaving themselves massively exposed to any competitor who does design a decent “zero knowledge” version of their product. 

every couple of years I try out all the zero knowledge versions of both these products. I wonder if they realise how many long time customers there are ready to jump ship over this. 

Add my vote! Having the extra tier of a locked notebook would be comforting!

In this day and age, security is so front and centre in technology.  When there is a significant impact to someone due to a data leakage from someone's EverNote and it comes out that otherwise EN loving users have been asking for a comprehensive and user friendly way of protecting their data forever but hit with silence, what is the EN press team going to tell the media?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JKST said:

In this day and age, security is so front and centre in technology.  When there is a significant impact to someone due to a data leakage from someone's EverNote and it comes out that otherwise EN loving users have been asking for a comprehensive and user friendly way of protecting their data forever but hit with silence, what is the EN press team going to tell the media?

Quelle scandale!!

7 hours ago, JKST said:

what is the EN press team going to tell the media?

https://evernote.com/security

https://evernote.com/security/tips

>>great standard stuff for protection in the datacentre

I'd like to see end-to-end encryption for my database 

>>does not address local storage

Personally, my local storage security is covered
- my Evernote account is password protected;
- my devices are password protected both at login and screen-saver
- on my Mac, my database is stored in an encrypted file-vault

>>nor basic usability of having the ability to apply granular password protection to objects

Evernote supports a text encryption feature
I use the native encryption of attachments; pdfs, office/iWork documents, ...

>>Please may we have the ability to apply passwords at a notebook and individual note levels. 

There's a feature request posted at the top of the discussion for password protected notebooks
To indicate your support, use the vote button at the top left corner of the discussion

3 hours ago, DTLow said:

Yep, seen all that and it is great standard stuff for protection in the datacentre and when in transit but does not address local storage nor basic usability of having the ability to apply granular password protection to objects at all levels within the app, starting with the Notebook level as opposed to lines of text.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, DTLow said:

I'd like to see end-to-end encryption for my database 

>>does not address local storage

Personally, my local storage security is covered
- my Evernote account is password protected;
- my devices are password protected both at login and screen-saver
- on my Mac, my database is stored in an encrypted file-vault

>>nor basic usability of having the ability to apply granular password protection to objects

Evernote supports a text encryption feature
I use the native encryption of attachments; pdfs, office/iWork documents, ...

I did not say there were not ways to protect all the possible components but any tool worth its salt should want it to be user friendly and integrated.  The amount of time that this type of request has been open for and the scale of the support indicates that a need is not being met, regardless of the individual options people may have at their disposal already. 

Please may we have the ability to apply passwords at a notebook and individual note levels. 

• Like 1

I have notebooks where I keep my own personal files. Files which I dont want anyone to be able to access.

I would love to see a way to lock these notebooks or even individual notes.

29 minutes ago, Scott Nailon said:

I would love to see a way to lock these notebooks or even individual notes.

I merged your post with a similar request
You're welcome to indicate your support using the vote button at the upper left corner of the discussion

>>I have notebooks where I keep my own personal files. Files which I dont want anyone to be able to access.

Your account is protected by password; only you can access your data

Just to help everyone focus ... the issue with EN and encryption is at the server level, ie, Google Cloud. We assume everyone can manage security surrounding their own PC. Use login passwords, etc., to protect undesired access to Evernote on the individual PC. And, data in transit between the Google servers and the EN client is automatically encrypted to prevent man-in-the-middle attacks. The issue is data at rest on the Google servers. What happens when bad people break through the Evernote security measures and gain access to the Evernote databases on Google Cloud? Or, what happens when an insider at Evernote decides to target individual accounts that hold sensitive financial or political information? We need the ability to encrypt entire Evernote databases on Google Cloud with our own security keys. That's what this forum thread is all about. I estimate Evernote could more than double their subscriptions by adding this one feature to allow users the ability to encrypt their own Evernote databases. But, for some reason, Evernote refuses to even recognize the issue. I have a premium account (cost $42 dollars), but I'm not going to renew. I suggest everyone write an email to Evernote requesting the ability to encrypt Evernote notebooks on Google Cloud servers and then cancel their subscriptions.

55 minutes ago, AWS_solution_architect_DC said:

Just to help everyone focus ... the issue with EN and encryption is at the server level, ie, Google Cloud. We assume everyone can manage security surrounding their own PC. Use login passwords, etc., to protect undesired access to Evernote on the individual PC. And, data in transit between the Google servers and the EN client is automatically encrypted to prevent man-in-the-middle attacks.

You're ignoring the posts from users concerned about access on their devices

>>What happens when bad people break through the Evernote security measures and gain access to the Evernote databases on Google Cloud?

It's a valid concern; note the data is encrpted-at-rest

>>We need the ability to encrypt entire Evernote databases on Google Cloud with our own security keys.

Be aware this will disable server-side functions; OCR, indexing for search, public access to notes, ...

44 minutes ago, DTLow said:

I merged your post with a similar request
You're welcome to indicate your support using the vote button at the upper left corner of the discussion

>>I have notebooks where I keep my own personal files. Files which I dont want anyone to be able to access.

Your account is protected by password; only you can access your data

Here's a simple useful case of why a password-protected *account* isn't always the same as a password protected Notebook.

I keep everything in one account, including Recipes.  On the kitchen tablet I want to display my recipes, but I don't want every Tom Dick and Harry to have access to some of of my more personal notebooks. On my living room computer I want to share my Films & TV notebook to see what I should watch next. That's it. That's the only reason I would like to see a password protected Notebook feature.  And yes, I could always create another account and share my recipes notebook and my Films & TV notebook,  but the mess that ensues with tags in shared notebooks prevents me from doing that.

7 minutes ago, lisec said:

And yes, I could always create another account and share my recipes notebook and my Films & TV notebook,  but the mess that ensues with tags in shared notebooks prevents me from doing that.

Or just not share the recipes and film/TV stuff.  Or share them out of your main account to the secondary account and have that one logged in on the iPad and living room computer.  If the two accounts don't have anything in common other than you being the owner.  Workarounds for sure.

I moved (exported to ENEX and then imported)  a bunch of old project notes, 6000 or so, to a Basic account some time back.  Paid for Premium for a month to get everything synced.  Now I just treat them as separate accounts, no sharing.  Log into the "archive" account when I need something.  Works well for me, don't need the linkage.  But it is a use case thing.  FWIW.

• Like 1

On 3/1/2020 at 5:36 PM, AWS_solution_architect_DC said:

I estimate Evernote could more than double their subscriptions by adding this one feature to allow users the ability to encrypt their own Evernote databases.

Based on??

Have been a paid user of Evernotes for years,  It is disappointing to see two key and popular features are still outstanding for such a long time :-

a) Notebook level password protection.  Yes we can talk about encrypting notebooks but that can wait.  Assigning a password for specific Notebook shouldn't be that challenging, from a layman's viewpoint.   Ideally, different notebook to have different password will be default - this will be very useful with shared notebooks.

b) Ability to export Notebook (not individual notes) to proper PDF format, so that we can achieve / publish Notebooks in PDF, instead of taking up database size.   

Please, if Evernote is listening, put this is a top feature to come... I am even willing to pay for this feature as additional premium to the services.

Regards,

F Lo

22 minutes ago, fkclo said:

b) Ability to export Notebook (not individual notes) to proper PDF format, so that we can achieve / publish Notebooks in PDF, instead of taking up database size.   

You're hijacking the discussion; a pdf request is posted Here

I'm not clear about the "instead of taking up database size"

On 3/15/2020 at 11:28 AM, fkclo said:

a) Notebook level password protection.  Yes we can talk about encrypting notebooks but that can wait.  Assigning a password for specific Notebook shouldn't be that challenging, from a layman's viewpoint.   Ideally, different notebook to have different password will be default - this will be very useful with shared notebooks.

It is a kind of joke that Evernote developers expect subscription payment without adding so primitive functions (two above mentioned). That is why I am smiling and skipping this 'professional' product. :-)

Maybe in 2050 Evernote developers will understand what security and flexibility means. Even free ColorNote mobile app has password protection.

On 3/22/2020 at 5:30 AM, krzyziek said:

It is a kind of joke that Evernote ... <more whining> ... password protection

You're welcome to indicate your support for this request.  Use the vote button at the top left corner of the discussion

Password protection is important to me
Evernote accounts are protected by a password
Encryption password is supported for selected text.  
I also encrypt sensitive data using the native encryption in attachments

Add my vote to be able to lock down a notebook with a password.  My use case is my journal, which I'd like to lock down and keep from showing up in search.

BUMP

Still desperate for this feature? Any word?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, M. Black said:

Still desperate for this feature? Any word?

No indication from Evernote

Why are you "desperate"

• Sad 1

7 years and we are still waiting 🤭🤭

• Like 1

For the amount of money being charged for this application, it seems such a simple request to be able to password protect the application on the computer.  It is worse than trying to locate the last Easter egg.  If one can use ONE password to retract access to the master app on the computer that would be wonderful.  However, in the absence of such a simple arcane request, perhaps some enterprising software developer should generate a synchronizing note app WITH a password and then we can all move on pass Nevernote.  Unbelievable the apparent arrogance of ignoring such a simple, basic but necessary request.

This is clearly not a difficult feature to implement. Allow us to lock a specific notebook and that's it. It's pretty simple. If I want to use Evernote for thoughts, ideas, parenting stuff, etc. and my kids open my computer - they see everything. They won't hack it, just put in basic protection for notebooks. 

21 hours ago, elefantecamp said:

This is clearly not a difficult feature to implement. Allow us to lock a specific notebook and that's it. It's pretty simple. If I want to use Evernote for thoughts, ideas, parenting stuff, etc. and my kids open my computer - they see everything. They won't hack it, just put in basic protection for notebooks. 

I think the original intent of this post from 7 years ago was to encrypt a notebook with password access.  I sense you are asking to block access to a notebook and its notes via a password.  A somewhat different request and probably not as difficult a change as encrypting a notebook.  But still with some effort required in the mechanics of it.  You might want to start a new feature request.

On 4/21/2020 at 6:51 PM, elefantecamp said:

and my kids open my computer - they see everything.

Security is important to me  
- My computer is password protected for each userid   
- My Evernote account is password protected

To indicate your support for the above request, use the vote button at the top left corner of the discussion

7 hours ago, DTLow said:

Security is important to me  
- My computer is password protected for each userid   
- My Evernote account is password protected

Instead of trotting out the same responses, that people could have read already, why not just accept that it is not an unreasonable request to have additional functionality so people may use the tool in the way they wish.  The volume, persistence, uniformity and age of these requests for additional password security for objects within the app is such that app level and OS level sign in obviously does not meet the wishes (which may not be the same as your perception of requirements) of Evernote's (paying) customers.

1 hour ago, JKST said:

Instead of trotting out the same responses, that people could have read already, why not just accept that it is not an unreasonable request to have additional functionality so people may use the tool in the way they wish.  The volume, persistence, uniformity and age of these requests for additional password security for objects within the app is such that app level and OS level sign in obviously does not meet the wishes (which may not be the same as your perception of requirements) of Evernote's (paying) customers.

Well said! I often got the feeling that DTLow is an employee of EN since on many topics, posts or questions he answers in a "defensive" way as if he tries to convince us that our requests are unreasonable. I mean, let's face it, most of the people know how to password-protect the computer or to log out of EN but I simply don't want to do that as it is not practical to do so every time I leave my desk, even it's just to make a cup of coffee.

Again, the fact that this feature is 2nd most wanted and that people still demand it and discuss it after 7 years means only one thing - users really need it!

As for me, I gave up. I still pay premium subscription and ONLY because of the OCR feature but unfortunately I am now using EN only as a dump storage and I rely on its search function when I need something. That's it. I moved all my projects, my journals, logs, even my to-do list in OneNote. Sure, there are some disadvantages compared to EN especially after using the EN as my main platform for years but then there are some things which are better solved in OneNote and it works for me. 

Biggest issue with EN for me is that I really don't see the direction in which they are going. With new CEO and most of the management changed I expected more, a revolution,  but instead we mostly see new videos in which they are trying to justify what they are doing...or not doing. 

Sad, really sad because it was (I mean still is) a great idea, great app, great potential, but it seems as if they are stuck half way and can't seem to get over that...

3 hours ago, JKST said:

Instead of trotting out the same responses, that people could have read already, why not just accept that it is not an unreasonable request to have additional functionality so people may use the tool in the way they wish. 

I made no comment on the request being unreasonable     
I was responding to @elefantecamp who is new to the forums and has expressed a security concern with children accessing Evernote data

>>The volume, persistence, uniformity and age of these requests

I know it's repetitive and can understand if you don't want to participate

1 hour ago, NedPG said:

Well said! I often got the feeling that DTLow is an employee of EN since on many topics, posts or questions ...

Employees are clearly indicated in the sidebar    
I'm not an employee, just a an experienced user volunteering to help other users

>>I mean, let's face it, most of the people know how to password-protect the computer or to log out of EN but I simply don't want to do that ...

Another security method is a timeout password

>>Biggest issue with EN for me is that I really don't see the direction in which they are going.    

You should post as a new topic.     
This discussion is on password protected notebooks

1 hour ago, DTLow said:

You should post as a new topic.     
This discussion is on password protected notebooks

Well, if you are trying to be smart here is a thought for you: the topic is password protected notebooks, not "how to log out from Evernote" or "how to password protect your PC if the app that you want to protect doesn't provide this feature that many users are asking for". You get it? This ***** behavior can work both ways.

Hey guys, isn’t life too valuable to spend time discussing this / like this ?

Personally I think every user should have the chance to protect his data, including copies of it somewhere on the own system, in a backup or on the server. The only way to do this is to encrypt the notebook, the note or the content. The further down it goes, the more effort is needed by the user to have the protection applied.

1. Today we can only protect content, and only if it is plain text, by encrypting it individually.
  2. Yes, one can encrypt anything outside of EN, and load the encrypted file as an attachment into a note. If you want to use the content, you have to move it out of EN, decrypt it, etc. Not really a workflow ...
  3. The only other option for privacy are local notebooks, that are not encrypted, but will not sync.
  4. Protection on a device level will not work for many, because devices may be shared, and especially in a business IT situation no device is really tamperproof, having admin access, controlled networks and other factors.

The current options obviously are only weak and laborious workarounds - to have encryption on a notebook or note level would make a huge difference in adjusting the privacy level of content for me. I would go to have encrypted notebooks as my preference.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, JKST said:

Instead of trotting out the same responses, that people could have read already, why not just accept that it is not an unreasonable request to have additional functionality so people may use the tool in the way they wish.

OK, a couple of things going on here. First, I think that everyone acknowledges that this is a valid & reasonable request; indeed,some of the regular responders here may have actually upvoted it. Second, though, is what to do about it the current situation. We users cannot change the code, but sometimes workarounds are available, and since this topic is very long, sometimes those workarounds get "trotted out" a number of times. Suggesting workarounds is not necessarily arguing against the request, or somehow invalidating it.

In this case, there are some things a user can do on their own: using separate OS user accounts, and/or separate Evernote accounts. More work? Yep, but "batteries included". Or in some situations (leaving your desk to go get a cup of coffee, mentioned elsewhere), the simple solution is to lock your computer while you're away: in Windows, that's just a Ctrl+L and your Windows account is now locked; no logging out required. 

We're all Evernote users here, and we all want Evernote to improve, and I'd guess that most of us want Evernote users to be able to use Evernote better. That's why I spend my time here, anyways...

6 minutes ago, jefito said:

OK, a couple of things going on here. First, I think that everyone acknowledges that this is a valid & reasonable request; indeed,some of the regular responders here may have actually upvoted it. Second, though, is what to do about it the current situation. We users cannot change the code, but sometimes workarounds are available, and since this topic is very long, sometimes those workarounds get "trotted out" a number of times. Suggesting workarounds is not necessarily arguing against the request, or somehow invalidating it.

In this case, there are some things a user can do on their own: using separate OS user accounts, and/or separate Evernote accounts. More work? Yep, but "batteries included". Or in some situations (leaving your desk to go get a cup of coffee, mentioned elsewhere), the simple solution is to lock your computer while you're away: in Windows, that's just a Ctrl+L and your Windows account is now locked; no logging out required. 

We're all Evernote users here, and we all want Evernote to improve, and I'd guess that most of us want Evernote users to be able to use Evernote better. That's why I spend my time here, anyways...

Fair comment, thanks and I apologise @DTLow if my frustration boiled over into unreasonableness but the radio silence on why this is not being considered is more than bemusing.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JKST said:

Fair comment, thanks and I apologise @DTLow if my frustration boiled over into unreasonableness but the radio silence on why this is not being considered is more than bemusing.

No problem -- these days I'm blaming folks' testiness here (and everywhere) it on COVID-19!  :) 

I think we'd all like more feedback on feature requests from Evernote staffers.

On 4/4/2013 at 12:51 AM, EvernoteLover9 said:

I love Evernote, but it's preventing me from putting in sensitive content. For example, I can't keep a personal journal notebook, because other people (i.e. girlfriend, family members, etc.) could one day be looking at those notes, especially since they know that I use Evernote often for many purposes.

Evernote already has the ability to encrypt single notes. This is useful for things like storing passwords or other temporary sensitive content. But it's not practical to encrypt many notes one by one.

I wish I could password-protect a whole notebook. This way, I can do a lot more with Evernote. If I can encrypt single notes, then why can't Evernote just allow me to encrypt entire notebooks? If reason behind this is because Evernote thinks one could lose a lot of data if a notebook password is forgotten, then perhaps Evernote can help recover the passwords through email.

In the meantime, I'm stuck with using other apps (i.e. Pages, Day One, etc) to password-protect my content.

Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Totally agree! It's probably even better to have the option that when you search for a note, those in the password-protected notebook will not show up in the result, unless you go to the notebook, enter the password and activate the search. 

After 7 years since the thread is posted still there is no update, I don't know why Evernote is not taking privacy seriously(Hope it does not end up like Zoom)? Even the open sourced "standard notes" have this feature.  

8 hours ago, himanshu219 said:

After 7 years since the thread is posted still there is no update, I don't know why Evernote is not taking privacy seriously

Just because they haven't implemented this request doesn't mean that they don't take privacy seriously. Their security focus is mainly on security of your notes when they're being transferred over the Internet, and on their servers. More info here: https://evernote.com/security

Currently, if I want stuff encrypted in Evernote, I just use an encrypted container attachment (.zip file, PDF, etc.). For the short term, while Evernote sorts out its platform re-org and infrastructure, that's probably going to have to suffice. Once that's done, then maybe they'll address this feature request.

8 hours ago, himanshu219 said:

(Hope it does not end up like Zoom)

Zoom is still wildly popular, as far as I can tell. They've had some security stumbles, no doubt, but they've been working to address them. See e.g. https://www.tomsguide.com/news/zoom-security-privacy-woes. Not sure what you mean by 'end up'; they're still in business.

Even the open sourced "standard notes" have this feature.  

Hadn't heard of these folks before. Hard to tell how well they're doing or how well it stacks up against Evernote, feature-wise. I guess is privacy is a pressing concern, they might be worth checking out.

Just adding my vote here - I sometimes work with sensitive client data and it would be great to password protect those relevant notebooks so I wouldn't have to switch to OneNote for specific cases like that. Would also give me peace of mind with personal financial records, some of which I keep in Evernote.

I don't understand why this is a feature, which take so long to develop!

I just want to lock one notebook in case anyone view the sensitive information accidentally. You don't have to implement a fancy encryption algorithm or a system. 

• Like 1

Totally agree - my private notes are just exposed for anyone to see, super annoying.

11 minutes ago, Jay Starkey said:

my private notes are just exposed for anyone to see, super annoying.

Personally, I encrypt my "private notes"   
An Evernote feature would be nice, but I'm not going to let that stop me

2 hours ago, DTLow said:

Personally, I encrypt my "private notes"   
An Evernote feature would be nice, but I'm not going to let that stop me

DTLow why do you encrypt? I thought you were advocating that the Evernote password, and the system password were sufficient. Is it because you are concerned about cloud security? Perhaps I've misunderstood your earlier arguments. I'm glad to see that you see some value in this feature. Encrypting every note individually in a folder must be a hassle, both when you encrypt and when you have to decrypt each one. Do you ever forget to encrypt one? Have you ever forgotten or mistyped an encryption key? It would seem like it would be a very easy thing to do when you are encrypting a lot of notes. How does search work with encrypted notes? I haven't let the glaring absence of this feature stop me either but it certainly is a major dissatisfaction. The fact that Evernote won't even respond to this request makes it downright frustrating.

11 minutes ago, Pastor-Luke said:

I thought you were advocating that the Evernote password, and the system password were sufficient. 

The Evernote password and device security provide a level of security, and is sufficient for most of my documents
I have a few documents that I believe require encryption

>>How does search work with encrypted notes?
I use sufficient keywords in the title to ensure the search feature functions

>>Have you ever forgotten or mistyped an encryption key?
I use an automated process with scripting on a Mac

4 hours ago, DTLow said:

The Evernote password and device security provide a level of security, and is sufficient for most of my documents
I have a few documents that I believe require encryption

>>How does search work with encrypted notes?
I use sufficient keywords in the title to ensure the search feature functions

>>Have you ever forgotten or mistyped an encryption key?
I use an automated process with scripting on a Mac

Honestly all I need is a way to not have certain notes show up in the default logon view, because if I’m going to use my notes to present but have to login in front of an audience I don’t necessarily want them seeing my other notes.  Sounds like you have some deep integration there - I tend to use Evernote on the web most of the time on computers that are not mine, so scripts are not feasible.  Encryption sounds nice but the problem is that often even the titles are personal enough that I don’t want people seeing them.  I will just use google docs instead.  Oh well, not worth pulling my hair out over.

I was looking for encrypting a table (with account/password data), but if password protection includes encryption, then I am fine with password protecting a Notebook

2 hours ago, PieterG said:

I was looking for encrypting a table (with account/password data), but if password protection includes encryption, then I am fine with password protecting a Notebook

Evernote does not currently support encryption for tables (or Notebooks or Notes)
To indicate your support for this request, use the vote button at the top left corner of the discussion

In the meantime, I can use attachments for encrypted tables; spreadsheet or word processing
There's also more table options using these external editors

Office/iWork documents have a native encryption option505662947_ScreenShot2020-06-17at8_55_49AM.png.f5293ba9cad88ed5ab7161231a46736e.png

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)
On 4/13/2020 at 12:59 PM, DTLow said:

No indication from Evernote

Why are you "desperate"

Well, there seem to be several different feature requests here. 

There are various comments regarding security of our overall data and encryption, and cloud security, etc. I'm comfortable with the overall security of my Evernote data, even if that is a bit of ignorant bliss.

I am "desperate" for something far more basic, something that seems to have appealed to many, many users over the many years I've been a Premium EN user: An ability to password protect a notebook consisting of all the notes I don't want anyone to read or see and don't want to pop up in EN searches. This isn't because I want to keep passwords safe (though that is as good a reason as any), since I use 1Password. I just want a simple ability to keep personal journal entries, certain web clippings, photos and the like, separate and secure with an additional layer of password protection. 

I'll give you a couple of case scenarios: I am a college professor. Students often literally read over my shoulder while I show them documents or web pages on my screen. I would like to easily switch to Evernote to show them saved files of examples or articles. However, I don't want journal snippets -- or web clippings of gifts I'm eyeing for my family,  or recipes I've saved, or photos of my children's artwork or my brother's prized classic car -- showing up in that search. I've had the same usage concern with consulting clients, because I use EN to organize those materials, as well. 

Another case: Although I use a privacy screen on my devices, none is 100%. I do not want to have to worry about prying eyes next to me or behind me every time I perform a search on my Evernote in a public place. The note encryption is not sufficient, since it balks at my web clips and doesn't tolerate formatting or longer lengths.

Last example: The potentially horrifying default logon view.

The contents of Evernote's encrypted notes are excluded from search and have a box in place of the contents, which keep them out of snippet view. With an encrypted and password-protected notebook, I'd hope the titles, also, would be omitted from snippets and search. As it is, if I'm at work and decide to show someone an Evernote file, when I open EN, the left pane displays notes with such professional and non-confidential titles as, "Really Dirty Jokes to Tell Brother," "Easy Ways To Fire 50% of Staff THIS WEEK," "Quit To Become a Pro Butter Churner? Pros & Cons," and "June 18, Reflections: Today I realized WHY I hate this job. It's because of my useless coworkers, loathsome boss, petulant clients ..." (ADDED after original post. Thanks @Jay Starkey for the reminder of this predicament.) 

Of course, there are workarounds, most obviously, not having someone read over my shoulder. I can also try to pull things ahead of time, find other ways of working around nosey neighbors, etc. But I am an Evernote devotee. I use it for everything and I love its search functions and the ability to trip across related saved documents by searching a word or tag. There are times I like sharing my EN screen with individual students, clients or even a lecture hall. 

Other users share their EN with assistants or family and because of a need to share many things across many notebooks, find it impractical to give others only specific notebook access. Seems pretty easy to understand why they, too, would find it much easier to make one or more notebooks completely private only to them.

I understand the notion of using different apps and software for different things. But what made Evernote my Holy Grail of information control was following advice I read years ago: Put EVERYTHING in it, so you have one place to look. I have plenty of exceptions, such as not using it for passwords. But it works best for me if I use it for almost all notes and document storage, personally generated and web saved. Therefore, I don't really want another system for my journal, random web clips, and pictures I've taken of my children's artwork -- even though I don't want any of those things popping up in a search or along my sidebar. Having a private notebook, or several private notebooks, would solve my concerns as well as those of countless other paying EN customers.

Edited by M. Black
grammar fix, additional idea
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, M. Black said:

I am "desperate" for something far more basic, something that seems to have appealed to many, many users over the many years I've been a Premium EN user: An ability to password protect a notebook consisting of all the notes I don't want anyone to read or see and don't want to pop up in EN searches. This isn't because I want to keep passwords safe (though that is as good a reason as any), since I use 1Password. I just want a simple ability to keep personal journal entries, certain web clippings, photos and the like, separate and secure with an additional layer of password protection. 

THIS!!!!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/13/2020 at 7:38 PM, Jay Starkey said:

Honestly all I need is a way to not have certain notes show up in the default logon view, because if I’m going to use my notes to present but have to login in front of an audience I don’t necessarily want them seeing my other notes.  

Doh! How did I forget this part of the problem?!

I wrote about the potential for search embarrassment and completely forgot about default logon view humiliation!

Without a password-protected/encrypted notebook that is omitted from snippets and search, here's what happens. I'm at work, wanting to show someone a file. When I open EN, the left pane has snippets from notes with professional and non-confidential titles such as,

*  "Really Dirty Jokes to Tell Brother"

* "Easy Ways To Fire 50% of Staff THIS WEEK"

* "Fine Liquor & Cheap Booze To Try ASAP"

* "Quit & Become a Pro Butter Churner? Pros & Cons"

* "Dear Dad, Your granddaughter is a genius! Here's her last 10th-grade essay, "The Moon Landing Was Faked & Dinosaurs Could Have Made It To The Moon ..."

* "June 18, Reflections: Today I realized WHY I hate this job. It's because of my useless coworkers, loathsome boss, petulant clients ..."

Thanks, @Jay Starkey. I'm actually going to add this point to my post above explaining my desperation, so that I'll have allllll my reasons in one place the next time someone asks why people are desperate for this feature.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, M. Black said:

default logon view humiliation!

For Windows users, check out Enscript to launch Evernote with a custom query   
Mac users can use Applescript   
This can be used to exclude nsfw notes

1 hour ago, DTLow said:

For Windows users, check out Enscript to launch Evernote with a custom query   
Mac users can use Applescript   
This can be used to exclude nsfw notes

Thanks for the workaround, @DTLow. I'm glad to try something, at least until we get the solution we'd like ...

I love the idea of password-protecting notebooks!  That would be so useful!  It amazes me that this thread was started in 2013 though, and we still can't do it.  Is it that difficult?

I've been using EN since 2008!  Still love it, but this and stacks within stacks are the only two features I'm still waiting for....