Password Protected Notebooks

EvernoteLover9

Idea

Why is this not implemented yet?

It seems so painfully obvious that it would be a useful feature.

If Evernote wants to be a powerful ubiquitous platform, this capability should be added immediately.    Security is a major issue (if not the primary issue) in the digital world.... Evernote should be well aware of this and help users protect their valuable data instead of offering a weak "encrypt selected text" feature.

• Level 5*
10 hours ago, gimbali said:

Any plans by Evernote to implement this simple feature?

Evernote has not indicated any plans to implement Password Protected Notebooks

Currently, they have only implemented encryption for text within a note

I'm not conviced this is a "simple".  
Examples: Evernote's ocr feature processes on the server; search indexing doesn't function on encrypted data

My solution is to  use encryption in file attachments 

Not being able to encrypt an entire notebook makes it extremely difficult to keep a journal. You end up having to create 365 passwords per year. Trying to find things you've written in the past becomes more and more difficult.

No, you can reuse the same password for mltiple notes. However, EN's encrypted document support remains primative in design, and the web client implementation does not allow editing (I believe is due to multiple bugs which haven't been fixed in classic web UI (I haven't tried the new web Ui recently, because it it is so unusable for me. I posted about that in a different post. I am hoping EN will provide a stable CRUD UI to enable 3rd parties to develop replacement UIs....

• Level 5*
7 hours ago, mprogram said:

You end up having to create 365 passwords per year.

It’s possible to use different passwords for each encryption, but the recommendation is to use to use the same password for each

I have been using Evernote Premium for a few years and I love it.

Unfortunately, I need to agree with most of the forum in that encryption is essential, even if for a starter we had a strong password request just to open the application, both on our portable devices as well as on our computers.

Here's an idea: Why not merge Evernote with mSecure, which is fully encrypted. I use mSecure to store sensitive information but wish I could do this within Evernote.

Thanks, 

• Level 5*
33 minutes ago, Jimmy Mayer said:

even if for a starter we had a strong password request just to open the application, both on our portable devices as well as on our computers.

On my computers, Evernote requires a password to open the application

In addition, on my iPad, passcode or touchid is required when  switching apps

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, jwc said:

This would be super easy to implement - like next to no time for the development team!

If Evernote had a paying user for ever post that declared “super easy”, “no time”; they would have the funds for a development team to implement such changes

• Like 1

Whether it's super-easy or not -- it was requested a 16 months ago... and it should have been a feature from the start (or nearly so).

Security online -- especially when it comes to cloud services -- is a major concern.  This is not a new problem and it is only is getting worse.  Users shouldn't have to request this - its necessity is obvious.

• Like 1
On 12/03/2016 at 1:58 AM, Joshow said:

I think it would be so useful to have the option to password protect per notebook, as opposed to just one password for the entire app.  What do you guys think??  Like I have a couple of notebooks that need passwords, but the majority do not.  And having to login everytime, especially when going back and forth between Evernote and other apps, slows things dramatically.  

I have more than 200 images in particular notebook, I want to transfer these photos to my staff laptop. How can I do, without letting him to see my other important notes”

• Level 5*

Can only repeat what I've said before: Evernote's party - they get to choose the music.  If too many people complain and/ or leave because it's too loud or too country,  they may decide to change it.  Everyone's entitled to an opinion - but they decide whether or not to listen.  ^_^

Yeah, that's something called "painfully obvious" -- not sure why you need to repeat it -- or write it in the first place. 

I don't think anyone has suggested that Evernote is not the final decision maker.  Why even bother wasting the springs on your keyboard with such a worthless contribution?

• Level 5*
15 hours ago, Vishal Gupta said:

I have more than 200 images in particular notebook, I want to transfer these photos to my staff laptop.

I would select the notes with the images; then Save Attachments (Mac platform)

There's also a share option if you have different Evernote accounts on each device

>>without letting him to see my other important notes

Not sure what this means

**Please, please please** add this functionality!! I'm a sole proprietor, and my work requires handling confidential client information. The ability to password protect individual notebooks is a critical feature. It seems surprising (to me, at least) that this functionality hasn't been added yet -- particularly for Premium users.

For the most part, I've found Evernote to be a great product. But the inability to secure individual notebooks is a serious shortcoming. (And protection at the notebook level is a bare minimum; ideally, I'd like the option of protecting individual notes).  Although switching to a different app would be a real pain, this will eventually be a make-or-break feature for me.

• Level 5*
On 2017-09-18 at 2:01 PM, Chads said:

And protection at the notebook level is a bare minimum; ideally, I'd like the option of protecting individual notes

Starting at the minimum, Evernote has an encryption feature for text within a note

My solution for protecting sensitive data is using encrypted attachments (pdfs, office/iwork documents ...)

I vote this feature up. I would like to password-protect an entire notebook.

• The "Encrypt text" feature is not useful to me as-is: it works only on text blocks.
  • Upon first access, I'm asked for the notebook password. Notes are then decrypted when I click on them. ("Pay as I go")
  • I'm OK to have encrypted notes excluded from search (i.e. not indexed)
  • I'm OK with having whole individual notes encrypted, instead—I'd encrypt the entire set of notes in one notebook with the same key
  • Don't care about government-grade encryption
  • I'm OK with losing the entire notebook, if I forget the password

• Level 5*
7 hours ago, mprogram said:

I hope it doesn't take a major security breach for this feature to get more attention.

Evernote has not indicated an interest in this feature (password protected notebooks)
Our data is encrypted-at-rest on the servers, but if you're concerned about a breach, you can encrypt your data
Evernote has a text encryption feature, and I encrypt my sensitive data using encrypted file attachments; pdfs, office/iworks, ...

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, jyc23 said:

Then have password protected notebooks be excluded from search unless you enter the password to unlock those notebooks.

Search might be a problem;

I practice encryption for my sensitive data.   My experience is that encryption prevents the data from being indexed for searching.  Also, encryption interferes with the OCR process

On 10/23/2017 at 11:13 PM, DTLow said:

Search might be a problem;

I practice encryption for my sensitive data.   My experience is that encryption prevents the data from being indexed for searching.  Also, encryption interferes with the OCR process

That's fine. The use cases I'm imagining are to exclude things like Journal entries from appearing in main search results. Or maybe an even easier way to do what I'm trying to do would be to simply allow certain notebooks to be excluded from search results. As it stands, you can't even do something like -notebook:NotebookName. Yes, I realize you can create a tag to apply just to the notes you want to exclude, then exclude with -tag:NoSearch or whatever, but it would also be nice to simply have the ability to exclude it at a global level.

• Level 5*
19 hours ago, jyc23 said:

The use cases I'm imagining are to exclude things like Journal entries from appearing in main search results.

Workaround here is to put your journal notebooks in one stack and everything else in another.  Do searches on the other stack and no journal entries will appear.  Not particularly elegant but it would solve the narrow issue.

1 hour ago, csihilling said:

Workaround here is to put your journal notebooks in one stack and everything else in another.  Do searches on the other stack and no journal entries will appear.  Not particularly elegant but it would solve the narrow issue.

Yeah, I considered that, but that would force me to undo my stack organization. And it wouldn't work at all on mobile, given that you can't limit searches by stack at all. Thank you for the idea, though, I appreciate it!

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
38 minutes ago, jyc23 said:

And it wouldn't work at all on mobile, given that you can't limit searches by stack at all.

Search   stack:aaaaaa

>>but that would force me to undo my stack organization.

Right, you don't want to do that.  With the current environment, the best solution I see is to exclude by tag (-tag:) or text (-intitle:aaaaa)

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Search   stack:aaaaaa

>>but that would force me to undo my stack organization.

Right, you don't want to do that.  With the current environment, the best solution I see is to exclude by tag (-tag:) or text (-intitle:aaaaa)

Well I’ll be damned, thanks for showing me how easy it is to search by stack on mobile. Had no idea! 

For now, I’m just tagging all of my Journal entries with a Journal tag and excluding them as you suggest. 

All that typing is cumbersome on mobile, but fortunately, I don’t need this level of filtering as much when I’m on mobile (mostly need it on desktop when I’m running searches with someone using the computer with me). 

Thank you!

BUMP for Premium users. Encryption is definitely not the answer for many of us.

For iOS and other devices, primarily the desktop app, encyrption the way it stands does not work for me.

Family (wife) has access to my phone. Work has admin access to my desktop. Look for a simple password, but not mandatory, only if selected as "always" by premium user or special advanced mode (similar to Ctrl-V, Ctrl-Shift-V option for paste), etc.

Edited by cpufox
Further explanation
  • Level 5*
13 hours ago, cpufox said:

BUMP for Premium users. Encryption is definitely not the answer for many of us.

Why just Premium users? I would have thought encryption/password could be used in some form by any user

Hi! I'd like to suggest that an entire notebook could be either encrypted or password protected (aside from the log-in or passcode to get into the app). I use Evernote for work and for personal. I like to keep a daily journal of personal thoughts and I'd love to do this in Evernote, but I've been relying on other password-protected apps. I like to leave my Evernote logged in, but that lack of security just worries me for keeping my personal journal entries in their own notebook.

• Like 1
On 7/27/2017 at 3:51 PM, DTLow said:

If Evernote had a paying user for ever post that declared “super easy”, “no time”; they would have the funds for a development team to implement such changes

Apparently jwc removed his comment.  However your response is not a reason to close the topic or ignore the request.

It's staggering that proper password protection / encryption is not available on a notebook basis. Evernote seems to focus on chucking in endless features which few people seem to use but simply disregarding what most of we paying customers have been requesting for years. The problem seems to be that they know that they don't have any real competition for many of us; OneNote, Zoho, etc. are just not in the same league. Unfortunately, the lack of real competition does Evernote no favours. I don't want  to shift but, honestly, if anyone else comes up with a proper alternative with the level of security we should not have to beg for, I'll be handing over my money to them.

I totally can't understand why evernote reject to give such a basic feature. Maybe markdown support has some technical challenge, but an encryption protection,  almost all other similar software has this feature.  Since there is no password protection, It's very dangerous to write diary in evernote unless you want everyone in your apartment, your office to watch your privacy. And of course, it is also impossible to keep any personal information like SSN- number, bank account in Evernote.  

Sad. 

• Level 5*
14 hours ago, Labibi said:

And of course, it is also impossible to keep any personal information like SSN- number, bank account in Evernote.  

Evernote has a text encryption feature
I also use the native encryption of attachments; pdfs, office/iwork documents

>>Since there is no password protection, ...

My computer has password protection.  My Evernote account has password protection

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
12 hours ago, Labibi said:

Since there is no password protection, It's very dangerous to write diary in evernote unless you want everyone in your apartment, your office to watch your privacy.

Your computer certainly has password protection. Is there some reason you don't use it?

What DTLow said about text encryption.

27 minutes ago, DTLow said:

1. The text encryption feature is far away from a user friendly interface.

2. The native encryption from office or pdf documents is note secure.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, Frank Blome said:

1. The text encryption feature is far away from a user friendly interface

Please explain.   I select the text, right click, and select Encrypt

>>2. The native encryption from office or pdf documents is not secure.

This is the first I've heard of this.   Please explain

From https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Office_password_protection

Microsoft Office password protection is a security feature to protect Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) documents with a user-provided password. As of Office 2007, this uses strong encryption; earlier versions used weaker systems and are not considered secure.

The 128-bit key AES protection employed in newer Office 2007–2010 remains secure.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Frank Blome said:

I don't know why Labibi don't use it,

Well, Labibi already said it:

13 hours ago, Labibi said:

Since there is no password protection, It's very dangerous to write diary in evernote unless you want everyone in your apartment, your office to watch your privacy.

*shrug*

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, Frank Blome said:

for me there is one fact given: EN stores their data at Google!

Yes, Evernote uses the Google Servers facilities.  Would you prefer a different storage service?  Evernote used to maintain their own data servers, but it wasn't cost effective

I don't know why this is a concern; fwiw  there is encryption-at-rest

Some of these comments are silly. Password on your computer does nothing if the server side is breached, which does happen. Yes there is some encryption, the point was there is no notebook encryption, for times when encrypting on a note by note basis is impractical.

• Level 5*
9 minutes ago, Don0819 said:

Some of these comments are silly.   Password on your computer does nothing if the server side is breached, which does happen...

Evernote data on the server is encrypted-at-rest

I also use the firevault feature on my Mac; my disk is encrypted

5 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Evernote data on the server is encrypted-at-rest

It is encrypted with a key known to Evernote to access their server data, it is not encrypted with a key specific to each user and known only to each user. Which means it's as good as nothing if an exploit that gains elevated privileges breaches their system. It happens all the time, by the way, and data encrypted on the server side did not preclude tons of personal data being stolen.

Users should have the ability to encrypt a notebook, not just a note or range of text, with their own key unknown to Evernote, which checking the original post is the subject of this thread. That way, user notebooks are protected even if there is an exploit/breach on the server side. BTW it's not a terribly innovative or new security function to request after all, hard to imagine why there is resistance (and why I keep notebooks of data encrypted uniquely with my own key using other products).

• Like 1
1 hour ago, DTLow said:

Please explain.   I select the text, right click, and select Encrypt

>>2. The native encryption from office or pdf documents is not secure.

This is the first I've heard of this.   Please explain

Re. the user interface: Encryption should work seamlessly. And no interaction needed. This is a good interface.

And re. the office docs & pdf: I don't want to give you a step by step instruction but I can give you the hint to search at google for hacking any office document format. It's easy ;-)

And one last comment re. Google: Since I don't trust that company in all regards of my data they just get unimportant stuff from me. Evernote used to be my storage place #1 for all kind of notes, contracts and other data. But right after I heard the announcement of Evernote moving to Google storage I immediately removed all Crown Jewels out of my notebooks.

• Level 5*
38 minutes ago, Don0819 said:

Users should have the ability to encrypt a notebook, not just a note or range of text, with their own key unknown to Evernote,

Just Notebook level; not the entire database?

I'm currently paying Evernote to OCR and index my data for searching.  I see a problem if the data is encrypted and Evernote doesn't know the key.  This is why I only encrypt selective sensitive data

3 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Just Notebook level; not the entire database?

I'm currently paying Evernote to OCR and index my data for searching.  I see a problem if the data is encrypted and Evernote doesn't know the key

Oh come on now, I think you are just trying to start an argument, I suspect you know exactly how this works, but for some reason are trying to confuse people or get this off the topic. I am referring of course to the private key, known only to me, used to decrypt my data on the backend. Public-key encryption uses two keys for locking and opening up data: a public key that is shared with anyone, and a private key that stays with the sender of encrypted data. The private key is not stored on the server side, so if there is a breach maybe the public key is compromised but not my private key so my data is safe. Of course the entire database is encrypted, that's not secure enough and that's not what we are talking about.  And you absolutely do want Evernote not knowing the (private) key, but of course you knew that didn't you.

• Level 5*
14 minutes ago, Don0819 said:

a public key that is shared with anyone

I think you've gone off topic.  You started with an encryption key "unknown to Evernote" and now you're suggesting giving the public key to Evernote

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, Frank Blome said:

Since I don't trust that company in all regards of my data they just get unimportant stuff from me.

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.  :)
It does seem strange that you're using a service you don't trust

There has to be an element of trust.  I trust Evernote with my data  (but I encrypt my sensitive data)

2 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean you're wrong.  It does seem strange that you're using a service you don't trust

There has to be an element of trust.  I trust Evernote with my data  (but I encrypt my sensitive data)

Thanks for calling me paranoid. I quit this discussion now.

16 minutes ago, DTLow said:

I think you've gone off topic.  You started with an encryption key "unknown to Evernote" and now you're suggesting giving the public key to Evernote

Why are you in here just challenging everything everyone says? Why don't you just let posters ask for a feature and leave it at that? Off topic began when the original post was "I would like to see notebook level encryption" and you replied "Evernote data on the server is encrypted-at-rest", which was an inaccurate off topic remark , which is why I suggested some research into public-private key encryption. I am done arguing with you, since you are a "Guru" I can only assume for some reason you like to pick fights with people so I guess you win, Mr. Guru. Nice job deflecting the OP's issue. Do you you have anything to say about that other than 'everything is already encrypted'?

7 minutes ago, Frank Blome said:

Thanks for calling me paranoid. I quit this discussion now.

It's what he does. Picks fights. I too will not be back, if anyone from Evernote reads this thread, I hope (a) they consider implementing notebook level encryption, the OP's suggestion, and (b) that Evernote realizes how toxic this thread become thanks to 'Gurus' who really didn't contribute anything to the original suggestion. Thanks for the help DTLow, it was truly beneficial. 

• Level 5*
19 hours ago, Don0819 said:

Why don't you just let posters ask for a feature and leave it at that? 

It's called discussion, and correcting inaccurate information

The request has been posted, and users can indicate their support using the voting buttons at the top left corner of the discussion.

You are not required to participate in the discussion

I posted to this thread in 2014 and have been watching it since. Personally, I've moved on. My specific use-case was for journaling. After some consideration, I realize that Evernote is not a journaling app. Nor do I want it to be. I cannot enjoy the "search everything" feature in parallel with journaling. And I don't want to deal with workarounds to that conflict.

For me, I am finding that I like having a dedicated journaling app and a dedicated "everything else" app (Evernote) is ideal. I use Penzu.com and  Stigma for journaling/reflection. They are excellent as are other options available. And Evernote is still king knowledge collection and organization.

In the more general sense, I second what aefla said in their recent post.

• Level 5*
7 hours ago, Don0819 said:

that Evernote realizes how toxic this thread become thanks to 'Gurus' who really didn't contribute anything to the original suggestion. Thanks for the help DTLow, it was truly beneficial. 

Let's get one fact straight here: the term "Guru" is chosen by Evernote based on number of forum posts, and not any special knowledge of how Evernote works.  That's all it is -- you could be one, too. That being said, a lot of the people with the 'Guru' tag -- DTLow most definitely included -- are indeed often helpful to other users. Flip side, we too are forum users, just like you, and have opinions that we're allowed to express here in the forums.

All in all, the request is valid, but Evernote hasn't chosen to implement it. If you're ok with the way that Evernote manages your data's end-to-end security then cool. If you're not -- and that's entirely valid as well --- then you should consider using a different product, as it's not clear that this situation will change any time soon. We should all have tools that work for us, and which we can trust. As usual, your mileage may vary from mine...

• Level 5*

From my perspective the power of Evernote is search, and encrypting entire notebooks takes the bloom of that rose.  You can put the stuff in local notebooks (protect thyself) but the downside is you lose access from a mobile device.  Anybody ever try putting a cloud service folder tree in a Veracrypt or the like partition? 

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, TylerWilliams said:

Personally, I've moved on. My specific use-case was for journaling. After some consideration, I realize that Evernote is not a journaling app. Nor do I want it to be.

Just curious.  Can you briefly share details on the requirements for journaling.  I file a daily journal in Evernote, but I'm guessing there's more to it..

edited: keeping on topic, I should have mentioned my daily journal is password protected

1 minute ago, DTLow said:

Just curious.  Can you briefly share details on the requirements for journaling.  I file a daily journal in Evernote, but I'm guessing there's more to it..

Well, a. I want absolute certainty that I am the only one with access to the information and b. I want to feel confident that prudent security measures are taken to prevent data loss in the event of a breach. That was my initial reasoning for contributing to this post.

I've found the other applications which are purpose built also include a helpful and even proactive reflection component--such as a word cloud or look-back. Also, they can facilitate journaling prompts and mood/feeling check-ins. In general, journaling app developers can distinguish themselves apart from a solution which aims at capturing everything.

在 1/22/2018 在 PM12點26分, DTLow說:

My computer has password protection.  My Evernote account has password protection.

在 1/22/2018 在 PM12點26分, DTLow說:

My computer has password protection.  My Evernote account has password protection

I means the password for a special note :), some office's computer, even it is your computer, other people can log in by their account, like my office.  Account password is not enough, unless each time you AFK, you remember  to log out all of your accounts. More choice is better. A password for a special note is a basic feature, just take a look for any similar software, like onenote, even it is not as good as evernote in other aspec 

在 1/22/2018 在 PM2點29分, jefito說:
在 1/22/2018 在 PM2點29分, jefito說:

Well, Labibi already said it:

*shrug*

Yeah, yeah, you are right, since I have password in computer and in evernote account, then it is enough. You are so smart and thank you for telling me that. But Evernote still do not have a password to a special note.

Anyway, Perfect software!!! 

*shrug*

3 小時前, DTLow說:

You are correct - no password protection at the note level
The best I can do is encrypt specific text within a note, or use the native encryption of file attachments; for example Word documents

I could use the text encryption feature for items like SSN- number, bank account

I could use an encrypted word document for my diary

Yes, it right, but not convenience.

This topic is discuss feature A. And you means why you need feature A. You can use feature B and feature C instead. The fact is the software still do not have feature A. 

If these ways really match most people's need, this topic would not be so hot. It is clear many users complain about it. 

I know a couple of ways to use Google drive in Linux, but I still complain Google drive do not  have a formal license in Linux like a lot of other people. I think you know what I mean. 

You mention WORD, so you also means the feature, (password for a note) is necessary and evernote do not support it, so you have to use WORD, is that right? But not all users have money to buy Office, and also, a lot of users use Linux system. It is still a problem for them.  

• Level 5*
On 2018-01-21 at 9:38 PM, Xihaha said:

Since there is no password protection, It's very dangerous to write diary in evernote unless you want everyone in your apartment, your office to watch your privacy. And of course, it is also impossible to keep any personal information like SSN- number, bank account in Evernote.  

On 2018-01-23 at 5:08 PM, Xihaha said:

I mean the password for a special note :)

A password for a special note is a basic feature

You are correct - no password protection for notes, only text within a note

We can use
- Evernote's text encryption feature for items like SSN- number, bank account
- an encrypted word document for a diary

I prefer encrypted attachments.  I'm not a fan of being locked in by Evernote's text encryption

Warning: Encrypted text is not included in search indexing

• Level 5*
On 2018-01-24 at 3:59 PM, Xihaha said:

You mention WORD, so you also means the feature, (password for a note) is necessary and evernote do not support it, so you have to use WORD, is that right? But not all users have money to buy Office, and also, a lot of users use Linux system. It is still a problem for them.  

Password for a note would be a new feature request.  You should post it

The purpose of my post was to suggest a solution for including SSN Number, Bank Acct # and diary in Evernote.  You mentioned it was dangerous/impossible

I also don't have the money to buy Office.  I'm using Apple Pages, it came free with my Mac and iPad

I don't understand why evernote do not support entire note encryption (with attachments) and/or notebook encryption. Titles and tags can be sufficient for searching, and as others have said, if we lose our encryption keys, more fool us ... but with the likes of lastpass etc, we ought not to lose them ...

So I can only think of two reasons why they haven't done it: either they are monetising our data in some way, or they are simply lazy rent seekers - there are plenty of existence proofs that the encryption task would not be hard to implement in such a way that the only thing that leaves a device would be encrypted, but we could decrypt locally (e.g. saferoom).

So which is it?  Evernote has an ulterior motive, or they are lazy and haven't really understood the importance of security to those of us who hold sensitive data?  I use Evernote professionally, but come May and GPDR, like everyone else in Europe, I wont be able to risk the leakage of personal information into Evernote. So, Evernote, you have four months to fix this, otherwise I'm gone!

• Level 5*
On 2018-01-22 at 2:08 PM, CalS said:

Anybody ever try putting a cloud service folder tree in a Veracrypt or the like partition? 

No, I've found no generic cloud solution for an encrypted partition.

It works so well at the device level, transparent and secure.  Then I undo the security by uploading my data.

Meanwhile, I'm committed to the Evernote service and my hope is that Evernote will implement this security.  At the database level, not just the notebook level.  Transparent encryption driven by my Evernote password.

Until then, my solution is independent encryption of sensitive data

• Level 5*
On 1/27/2018 at 1:10 PM, DTLow said:

No, I've found no cloud solution for an encrypted partition.

It works so well at the device level, transparent and secure.  Then I undo the security by uploading my data.

Meanwhile, I'm committed to the Evernote service and my hope is that Evernote will implement this security.  At the database level, not just the notebook level.  A transparent encryption driven by my Evernote password.

Thanks.  I know some folks have put their EN data base in such a partition and interested in how such would work with a cloud file storage service.  Not interested enough to give it a go, just wondering.  :rolleyes:

• Level 5*
18 minutes ago, joeldegiovanni said:

I hope this can be implemented, soon!
Thank you!

This is a posted feature request,  5a6e6773b5be0_ScreenShot2018-01-28at16_14_16.png.fd1e4b469ef164ef53d1e1b816d5752d.png
To indicate your support, use the voting buiitos at the top left corner of the discussion

• Level 5*
On 2018-01-27 at 7:10 AM, bnl said:

they are monetising our data in some way

I've seen no evidence of this

>>they are simply lazy rent seekers

The software is provided at no cost, and the majority of accounts don't pay for the service.  

They are doing all this work, and there's no "rent".  

>>haven't really understood the importance of security to those of us who hold sensitive data?

Security is important to me.  I make sure my sensitive data is encrypted

As you mentioned, Saferoom is a third part product to encrypt data at the note level.  
I make use of Evernote's text encryption feature, and native encryption for attachments

>>I use Evernote professionally, but come May and GPDR, like everyone else in Europe, I wont be able to risk the leakage of personal information into Evernote.

I don't know many details of GPDR.  Are you aware of any non-compliance by Evernote?

There's a discussion in the note linked below. 

On 29/01/2018 at 11:20 PM, DTLow said:

>>they are simply lazy rent seekers

The software is provided at no cost, and the majority of accounts don't pay for the service.  

Security is important to me.  I make sure my sensitive data is encrypted

As you mentioned, Saferoom is a third part product to encrypt data at the note level.  
I make use of Evernote's text encryption feature, and native encryption for attachments

>>I use Evernote professionally, but come May and GPDR, like everyone else in Europe, I wont be able to risk the leakage of personal information into Evernote.

I don't know many details of GPDR.  Are you aware of any non-compliance by Evernote?

1) I am paying for the service. Many people do.

2) Encryption needs to be easy enough to use.  With GDPR we cannot put any personal data (about third parties) on a cloud host without holding the encryption keys ourselves.  That means, for anyone in a management role, nearly nothing.  For ordinary users, no copies of email addresses of a group of people ... in fact nothing about anyone.  Saferoom works, but the workflow is prohibitively cumbersome. 

Sure I can carry on using Evernote for things which don't hit any of those pain points, but it now means I have to be thinking about "can I use Evernote for this task or not" ... which means "if in doubt, not" ... which means in practice, I'm going to look for a solution which doesn't require me to be thinking about legislation every time I want to save something.

I have been waiting for this feature for so long...you can only encrypt bits and pieces from a note - you can't for example, encrypt the whole note, either via Cmd + A (Select all), nor through manual select...

Apparently you need to encrypt bulleted points singularly...this is plain ridiculous and it's the reason I won't be renewing my subscription. 

It's a very reasonable feature that customers have been asking for years - at this point it's legitimate to believe Evernote is just not listening.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
5 hours ago, bnl said:

With GDPR we cannot put any personal data (about third parties) on a cloud host without holding the encryption keys ourselves. 

This was my understanding, and under GDPR regs I can't see Evernote being used as a business tool for storing personal third party data.  Even without GDPR, I have concerns about storing business data in the cloud.   Note: the US currently has HIPPA regs which also address unencrypted data; and there's also the issue of storing data in the US given the political climate

I'm ok with encrypting my personal sensitive data but mass encryption is not practical

>>I am paying for the service. Many people do.

I'm paying for a Premium account.  I like the feature enhancements, including upload limits

• Level 5*
On 2018-02-06 at 3:37 AM, ericat said:

at this point it's legitimate to believe Evernote is just not listening.

Evernote continues to pay for these forums to solicit feedback from the users
I think it's legitimate to believe Evernote is listening

Sometimes the answer is No, or Not at this time

Evernote needs (!!)  the capacity to lock or password-protect individual notes or notebooks.

I have lost count of the number of times I have accidentally bumped my iPhone and found that pages of data has been deleted in one of my Notes, or replaced by a line of 'aaaaaaaaa'; requiring me to retrieve a previous version from the 'History' file (I subscribe to Evernote Premium mainly because it allows me to restore from 'History').

I would like the ability to 'lock' a Note, and then to unlock it only when I want to update it.

• Level 5*
On 2018-02-21 at 9:44 PM, lesleyalan2@gmail.com said:

I would like the ability to 'lock' a Note, and then to unlock it only when I want to update it.

I think you're indicating a different request than this topic for password protection

Please consider adding your vote to the request linked below
Voting buttons are at the top left corner of the discussion

I wish I could see a development by Evernote so they can allow us to add password protected notebooks so no one can access them when we are not around. Certain things are very personal and private, therefore, I abstain myself from putting them in Evernote because such a service is not available. What is your take on this?

• Level 5*
On 2018-02-25 at 10:55 AM, NIzi said:

so no one can access them when we are not around

Most devices have password protection
Your Evernote account has password protection

On mobile devices Evernote has a pin password protection (I use my fingerprint)

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, NedPG said:

explanation why this is not reasonable I am really looking forward to response:

Your use case is reasonable, and the request has been posted.  To indicate your support, use the voting buttons at the top left corner of the discussion.

Since this feature is not currently offered by Evernote, you might wat to look at the posts offering work-arounds.

>>I mean, notebook or note lock will do the job and it's kinda surprising to see that this topic is open for almost 5 years now and I haven't seen any NO, NOT NOW or MAYBE's from EN officials. Maybe there is but I missed it though....

I've seen no response from Evernote, either pro/con.  I just know from the start that the Evernote service isn't a solution for note/noteboook/database encryption.

• Level 5*
19 hours ago, NIzi said:

I wish I could see a development by Evernote so they can allow us to add password protected notebooks so no one can access them when we are not around. Certain things are very personal and private, therefore, I abstain myself from putting them in Evernote because such a service is not available. What is your take on this?

You didn't say what kind of device(s) you are using to access Evernote, but the devices I am familiar with (Windows, Android) allow you to sign out of your Evernote account, which will require a password to log back in. Also, as DTLow says, your device already has facilities for logging out, and preventing other people from using it. If you have a different scenario, then you should specify it.

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, NedPG said:

can provide an explanation why this is not reasonable I am really looking forward to response:

I want to lock/encrypt/password protect a table and image inserted in a note. I'm listening.

The reasonableness of the request isn't in question in my view.  The priority to EN product management and development would seem to be the question.

4 hours ago, NedPG said:

I mean, notebook or note lock will do the job and it's kinda surprising to see that this topic is open for almost 5 years now and I haven't seen any NO, NOT NOW or MAYBE's from EN officials. Maybe there is but I missed it though....

To paraphrase, No news is news.

• Level 5*
2 minutes ago, SWSL said:

that text passages within a note can be password protected. 

The text encryption feature is useful, but it's retricted to text only.

I also make use of encrypted file attachments PDFs, office/iwork documents, ...

• Like 1

Hi,

First off, sorry for posting here! I am NEW-B! I've been looking around in the Forum for the past half hour, but I can't seem to find out how to make a new thread or make a new post for the questions I am having. That said, could you guys help me with the following 2 questions. I'd very much appreciate your insights: 

1- I am wondering if there is a way to decrypt an encrypted note, for which you've lost/forgotten the password for it?

2-I've noticed that whenever I am working inside an Encrypted Note, I can
not make use of the 1,2,3,... numberings, or the bullet points feature that appear in the header of the Note I am working on. 

Please look at the attached diagram below to better understand what I am referring to. I have made 2 orange boxes around the features that greys out on  Encrypted Notes. Is there any way I can have those useful functions inside an encrypted note?

Screen_Shot_2018-02-26_at_7_58_21_PM.jpg

Well I guess concerns about people accessing things "when we are not around" is a general concern about any information held on any device.

A concern that's often raised here is the privacy of the stuff we put up in the cloud using EN. 

I use EN extensively for all sorts of stuff but there remain some things I just won't put up there. I tend to use offline books for some of this stuff, and the feature that I would LOVE, is that EN would sync notes across these offline books using secure transport but without storing them on EN severs. So, I'd have access to all my cloud-based notebooks from anywhere, like a browser, or my PC, for example. But, I could create an offline book on my Mac and have it replicated on my PC, and be able to choose which devices held which books. Marvellous.

I kind of do this now, using directory replication software, but to see it in EN's functionality would be great. 

• Level 5*
25 minutes ago, MRJ said:

I tend to use offline books for some of this stuff, and the feature that I would LOVE, is that EN would sync notes across these offline books using secure transport but without storing them on EN severs.

The servers are the hub in the sync process:   device <> server <> device.  This does not allow device <> device sync; it's do-able, but would be a completely different process

>>I tend to use offline books for some of this stuff

Actually called Local Notebooks.  Make sure you backup your data; Evernote only looks after data on the server

>>But, I could create an offline book on my Mac and have it replicated on my PC

My solution is to protect my sensitive data with encryption (password); it's then sync'd and available on all my devices and backup

Evernote has a text encryption feature, and I use encrypted attachments (PDFs, office/iwork documents, ...)

4 minutes ago, DTLow said:

The servers are the hub in the syncing process:   device <> server <> device.  This does not allow device <> device syncing; it would be a completely different process

Umm, yeah, I know. A completely different process I would love to see it do.

Since 5 years ago,  a large numbers of users have suggest to Add a very very simple Function: Password Protection.

1. We need PASSWORD to Protect personal notebook!

NOT encrypt the Note or NoteBook! Just use password to prevent accidentally open!

(Don't mention there is encrypt text function in your product. That's not what we are talking about now.)

2. Why? 

We Stored some  personal stuff in it.

When we use the function called ---Present notes, We‘d like to hide personal Notebook or use password to protect it!

Imagine it : When you guys are presenting A Note, you accidentally click on the notebook  which stored some personal stuff , it's a disaster!

I'm a Premuim client, and the reason why I purchased premium account because I was looking forward to enjoying a very good software and service.

At least I think I can use such basic function like password protection just as other software.

• Like 1

+1 to this idea.

Being able to encrypt selected text is a nice feature. My use case is that I like to put my taxes in Evernote. With the document scanning and everything, this is fantastic. But this stuff is a bit more sensitive than my usual notes so I would like to have a second layer of protection.

If I could encrypt an image/attachment like I can text, that would also suffice.