FORMATTING Consistently Lost by EN

Howdy Power Users:

Before posting this thread, I conducted a Google search for "evernote formatting issues" and "evernote formatting problems" ... however the issue I am experience did not appear to be in the results.

I use a COLOR CODE system to enhance visual acuity when I return to notes:

• DATES:   7/8/2014 4:35 PM

• ISSUES:  undesirable results are colored RED

• HORIZONTAL RULE: I use to separate multiple records with SPACES between records within a large note like: ATTORNEYS - many attorneys listed and separated with the horizontal rule within the attorney note.

For some reason I have not figured out, EN consistently eliminates the above formatting on me (without my authorization). LOL!

Calling on all EN FORMATTING GENIUSES to help me resolve this issue.

Thank you much in advance for a prompt and detailed response!

Alan

The text editor inconsistency and formatting issues across platforms is an old, well known and much complained about problem in Evernote. Unless and until, it's fixed and consistent across *all* clients, your best bet is to create your documents, formatted however you like, outside EN in other other programs, such as, for example in MS Word or Excel, and save them as Evernote Attachments.

Keep in mind that all attachments saves to EN are *copies* of the original. So any changes you make to attached documents - whether directly from the original software use to create them, or by opening and editing them from within EN - which will automatically launch the other program - will NOT result in both the EN copy and the original (if you haven't already deleted the latter) both being updated. Theoretically, it could lead to note conflicts. Put simply, Evernote does NOT communicate with other programs on your computers.

My advice would be that if editing a document stored in EN as an Attachment, is:

➡ Open it from within Evernote, thus automatically launching the program you originally created it in.

➡ Make all desired edits and save to your computer hardrive. IF you kept a a copy of the original document on your hardrive, then *overwrite* it with this newer version.

➡ Now go back to your EN and Trash the attachment copy there - not the Note itself - then go into your Trash Folder and *permanently delete* the Attachment Copy.

➡ Now reattach a copy of the most recent document to your EN Note, Sync, double check to be sure it's there and that you had a *successfull* Sync. Use the Web version to check if you want to be super sure.

➡ Now decide if you want to keep the updated original copy saved under whatever program you created it in, on your hardrive.

Cheers

You may not necessarily need to keep an extra individual copy of that file on your hard drive. The reason is that all your EN data is stored on your hard drive & on the EN servers (except for local, non-synchronised notes). Furthermore, you may also have your own 3rd party back-up e.g on an external hard disk, a cloud provider (e.g. Dropbox), whatever .....

In that situation it is not really necessary to keep yet another individual copy on your hard drive because it may confuse or even mess up things, as Wordsgood has clearly explained above. It would be better to just work with the attachment from within EN. After you have opened & edited it, just click on the diskette icon to save it & then you can safely close it. By clicking on the diskette it gets saved within EN so you will always have the latest version.

Another benefit from this procedure, apart from avoiding confusion, is that you don't have a long procedure for eliminating potential conflicting situations. This is my workflow anyway & I have not had any problems with it.

• Level 5*

Yeah, just keep the attachment in EN, that way you get some version control through EN history as well.  

Don't know your use case, but if the note is not changed that often and you want "easy" access to it, create a note from a PDF print (or just copy/paste I suppose).  FWIW.

• Level 5*

There are definitely issues with the editor but the OP is reporting text color formatting changes and dropped horizontal rules.  I don't think I've seen those specific issues reported before.  I use horizontal rules extensively and some use of text color and have not experienced problems in this area.

@ab1kenobee, can you provide some additional details such as are you creating the notes on one client and then trying to view the note on a different client, or do you go back and view the note on the same client and find these formatting changes missing?

Appreciate all your comments.

1. My opening post was intended to cover NOTES created in WIN EN... not attachments... however the attachment comments are useful and practical in their own right... so thank you.  :)

2.  s2sailor - I was referring to NOTES created within the WIN version alone... nothing to do with cross-platform. I create notes formatted with BOLD, COLOR, HORIZ RULE (with spacing between paragraphs).

WIN EN apparently does not like my formatting techniques... and often replaces them... sometimes within minutes of the note creating.

Go figure!

Alan

• Level 5*

Hmmm ... puzzling.  Not sure what is going on.  As a test you might try doing some formatting edits and then immediately sync, then check the note on the web to see if the formatting changes show up there.

1. My opening post was intended to cover NOTES created in WIN EN... not attachments... however the attachment comments are useful and practical in their own right... so thank you.  :)

2.  s2sailor - I was referring to NOTES created within the WIN version alone... nothing to do with cross-platform. I create notes formatted with BOLD, COLOR, HORIZ RULE (with spacing between paragraphs).

WIN EN apparently does not like my formatting techniques... and often replaces them... sometimes within minutes of the note creating.

Go figure!

Alan

EN is lousy for formatting. In essence, EN is a digital filing cabinet good for storing & quick retrieval of documents & records. For all other types of work you are better off using another app. If e.g. you use OneNote for the rest, then the combination of the 2 is a powerful tool.

• Level 5*

Go figure!

Alan

Weird.  I keep my formatting simple, so I do use color, bold and horizontal lines.  Never have had any of my formatting get randomly adjusted.  Even my formatting within tables maintains itself.  Anything different or special about the notes where the formatting changes?

Go figure!

Alan

Weird.  I keep my formatting simple, so I do use color, bold and horizontal lines.  Never have had any of my formatting get randomly adjusted.  Even my formatting within tables maintains itself.  Anything different or special about the notes where the formatting changes?

Thanks. Just standard notes created within WIN EN... that I'm aware of.   ;)

Alan

EN is lousy for formatting. In essence, EN is a digital filing cabinet good for storing & quick retrieval of documents & records. For all other types of work you are better off using another app. If e.g. you use OneNote for the rest, then the combination of the 2 is a powerful tool.

I have OneNote through MS Office 2013... have not yet broken it out... however I guess I will now due to the many issues EN is causing.

Thx,

Alan

Archived