EN client opens without asking for password

What I want is, that I have an option to select, that every time I start EN it ask me for password. But then, while it's on, it doesn't ask for password every time it synch. It was working that way, but now (perhaps after last update - I have 5.5.3.4236 (272236)Public) it doesn't. I know that there is option to sign out but it's not practical. Many times I shut down PC while EN is in system tray. And when I start PC, and then start EN it just opens. Did I miss something?

• Level 5*

The option to start Evernote at startup is here: Tools / Options / General / [ ] Launch Evernote at Windows Logon

To completely shut down Evernote: File / Exist (or use the shortcut key Ctrl+Q)

Use Win+L to lock Windows while you're  away from your computer

• Level 5*

Perhaps I wasn't clear enough. I don't want to start EN at startup.

The option to start Evernote at startup is here: Tools / Options / General / [ ] Launch Evernote at Windows Logon

This checkbox governs that behavior. You need to uncheck it.

But when I start it I would like that it would ask me for password.

You'll need to sign out, then. I don't know of any way to accomplish this automatically in the Evernote for Windows client. The solution that I use is to leave Evernote running all the time, but lock Windows using the Win+L hotkey.

I also keep it running at my home PC. But at work I don't want that someone else can open/look my Evernote. It would be also helpful if EN would have selective sync. 

FYI, your Evernote database on your PC is not secure.  Anyone with the ability to use Windows Explorer & view a MySQL database can view your notes.  The password is used primarily for syncing to the EN cloud.

Please search the board on the word security for more information as this has been discussed at great length already.

• Level 5*

I also keep it running at my home PC. But at work I don't want that someone else can open/look my Evernote. It would be also helpful if EN would have selective sync. 

I use a separate account at work for work-related information. You can share notebooks between accounts, if you need to. And you can use a mobile client to access your personal account.

As BnF says, you have no expectation that anything on your work computer is private; companies generally consider their computers to be, well, their computers. If you want to prevent a co-worker from accessing your stuff, then you use a personal account on your OS, and lock it when you're away from your desk.

• 2 years later...
  • Level 5*
On 2016-10-20 at 5:01 AM, Wesmiami said:

I agree with Mirtma65. It would be extremely beneficial to be able to set a pin to open EN client regardless if you are at work or home.

Did you see the reponse suggesting logging when you're finished an Evernote session

Regardless - a PIN feature has been requested for the Windows/Mac platforms.  Its available on the mobile platforms.
You could check in the feedback forums and add your vote

Archived