Formatting Lists in Notes

Evernote is a great experience.

Except for making lists/bullet points.

They're bulky, waste space, and don't format well. Trying to copy/paste into/from other apps results in a huge mess, so I just avoid using the built in tools altogether.

In this sense, it needs more word processing power. A few more settings like the ability to manage lists, control numbering, indent, and spacing to fix this problem.

• 2 weeks later...

I just went to format text to a numbered list. Upon indenting a sub item under item 1, I expected to see "a" or "i".

Instead I saw yet another "1"!

Someone needs to rationalize to me how item 1, subitem 1 is going to make a note taking platform seem legit.

For kicks, I'll try it here since I see formatting options to do so:

How to make a pie.

1. Go to the store
    1. Buy ingredients:
      1. Butter
      2. Eggs

As I suspected, doesn't work here either. Details mean everything, especially simple ones that shouldn't be missing. 

As has been mention many times all over the forum, the EN text editor isn't great. In any client.

The best workaround is still to create formatted text in a word processor or a full, 3rd party text editor, then copy and paste it into an EN note or save as an attachment.

• Level 5*

The best workaround is still to create formatted text in a word processor or a full, 3rd party text editor, then copy and paste it into an EN note or save as an attachment.

Perhaps, but unfortunately pasting into Evernote often does NOT preserve the format from the source application.

At a bare minimum, Evernote needs to fix copy/paste issues, both in and out of Evernote.

For example, pasting a bullet or numbered list from EN Mac into this forum removes the bullets and numbers.

Hmm, then save as an attachment might be the best option.

Perhaps, but unfortunately pasting into Evernote often does NOT preserve the format from the source application.

At a bare minimum, Evernote needs to fix copy/paste issues, both in and out of Evernote.

For example, pasting a bullet or numbered list from EN Mac into this forum removes the bullets and numbers.

• Level 5*

I just went to format text to a numbered list. Upon indenting a sub item under item 1, I expected to see "a" or "i".

Instead I saw yet another "1"!

Someone needs to rationalize to me how item 1, subitem 1 is going to make a note taking platform seem legit.

Not justifying it, but I believe it's because EN uses HTML in its formatting of notes, and this is how HTML treats lists/sublists. EN is essentially a database, much more than a simple note taking platform. I do agree that the way lists are handled is a bit stinky, though, and there's lots of room for improvement in general with the note editor.

• 1 year later...

I want to create indented lists without going to the drop-down menu. Short cuts are shown there which look as if they represent tab to increase and shift-tab to reduce the indent.

As I understand it even if one is working in the app [in my case Mac] html is used rather than rtf. So, if I use the drop-down menu option I get an indent more than twice as big as using the tab key, and it seems to be a true tab whereas the tab key itself gives multiple spaces.

And shift-tab does nothing.

Add to this the bonkers spacing changes that occur when one modifies anything in iOS make any serious amount of text a 'mare in Evernote.

Is this a feature or a bug?

• Level 5*

Thanks for that. I don't entertain great hopes from a company that admits it develops for the different platforms separately: I thought that went out at least a decade ago as too expensive and leading to the inconsistencies that plague Evernote 6.1 on the Mac [my current version] or the current version for iOS which I find I have

I see no mention of:

an improvement in indented lists [without numbers or bullets]

string search that works

tabs that work the same from the menu or keyboard

CR that don't add two line spaces in iOS

Conflicted copies when you know you have done an update

With some notes in excess of 10,000 which I've had to 'de-conflict' several times with what was meant to be a mature product I can't afford to mess with a beta.

For a free app it's great, but for a subscription model it is as primitive a text editor as I know.

Sorry to moan, I know you did not write it!

Archived