Anyone using Todoist with Evernote? Bug linking EN notes

lenarr

Todoist is an online To-Do and task list manager with a concept similar to EN -- multi-platform, local Windows version can be installed, syncs automatically. Enables many levels of nested projects and nested next actions, with good calendaring functions. In sum, it's potentially a great outliner for one's projects and next actions.

It's supposed to integrate with EN. The paid version (sign up and get 30 days trial for free) enables you to associate a Todoist task note with an EN note by merely pasting the EN's note link. Which is really, REALLY cool.

The problem is that every single EN note I link to a Todoist task changes the title of the hyperlinked EN note to 

Welcome Back

Every single EN note I bring into Todoist displays as  Welcome Back, which renders the system useless if I can't see the note title I'm linking to a task.

Another annoyance: I click on a link, and the note opens twice: in a separate window of my browser and on my EN app in Windows.

Their people wrote, "Our system auto changes to the title of the link. So it must be picking up Welcome Back from which ever Evernote note you are linking to."

Obviously, Welcome Back is not the title of my EN note, and isn't even on the text.

Can anyone explain this? How can every EN note be sending Todoist "Welcome Back"? Is my clicking on an EN note link make it log on to my EN account every single time?

And why does a note open twice? Is there a way to specify that I only want the linked note to open in my EN app?

All insight much appreciated. 

Thanks,

lena

• Level 5*

Links in EN changed recently.  If you use the copy note link option in the menu it will create a link to the web version of the note.  If I paste this into Todoist, I also see the Welcome Back hyperlink.  It looks like that is because it brings you to the login (Welcome Back) screen first before loading the note and it is grabbing the title from that screen instead of the later note screen.  This is new behavior in Todoist.  It is trying to make the hyperlink the same as the note title, but it is not quite working right.

If you instead hold the CTRL key while pressing the copy note link option you will create a link to the local note in your Windows EN database instead of opening the web version.  If you create links this way and copy them into Todoist I think you will find they work better.

Thank you both for your replies.

s2sailor, I had already tried using the local link also to no avail. Instead of Welcome Back I see the part of the hyperlinked path, as in evernote:///view/5313419/s48/2bbc0a... .

If I go to Evernote web version and look at my account, I'm not seeing Todoist as an authorized application. I'm guessing it's having to negotiate my login cookie in my browser each time it accesses the note, and also the reason why it can only see the local link instead of the note title.

Until Todoist and Evernote work together on this level of integration, I'm guessing nothing is going to change.

Does that make sense?

Thanks,

lena

Just emailed the Todoist forum asking for app integration to become an EN authorized service.

But just found a workaround.

Open the note in EN desktop, and use Copy URL on the toolbar instead of Copy Note Link. The correct note title appears. The note will open in the browser only, however; I need to click on the "View in Evernote" button to view it locally.

Complete workaround: In each Todoist task note, insert 2 links to EN note:

Copy URL to generate the note title

Local link to note to be able to access it offline.

All right!!

Thanks for the inspiration. I hope others find this useful.

lena

• Level 5*

Thank you both for your replies.

s2sailor, I had already tried using the local link also to no avail. Instead of Welcome Back I see the part of the hyperlinked path, as in evernote:///view/5313419/s48/2bbc0a... .

If I go to Evernote web version and look at my account, I'm not seeing Todoist as an authorized application. I'm guessing it's having to negotiate my login cookie in my browser each time it accesses the note, and also the reason why it can only see the local link instead of the note title.

Until Todoist and Evernote work together on this level of integration, I'm guessing nothing is going to change.

Does that make sense?

Thanks,

lena

I see the hyperlink path as you describe.  Since we are copying and pasting a note link into another application, I don't think Todoist needs to be an authorized application.  I believe that is only needed for an application that has to access the EN service using the API.

With both types of copy note link options, I've only seen the link path, never the note title.  I've not tried the copy URL option.  Looks like a better option.  Thanks for investigating and sharing this.

The same thing happens with Evernote links in The Brain.  They also say Welcome Back when you paste the note link. Takes a few extra steps to do the same workaround that lenarr mentioned but it works.  I wish there was an easier way....

• 2 weeks later...

Same problem here recently...

other workaround : 

in the Todoist note field, write the name of the shortcut you want to see and in brackets, the Evernote copy link note.

When I open the link, I have first to log in in Evernote Web, but after that, I'm automatically redirected to the note in Evernote desktop.

This is not elegant I know....

• 2 months later...

Arnaud68,

I've the same problem and I am very disappointed about this stupid situation because I both like Evernote and Todoist.

I would like to point you to the earlier tip of Lennar to copy the note link with Ctrl pressed: it than leads you directly to the desktop version of EN.

By the way if you want to open the note in the web version don't use the beta version of EN Web: it doesn't link to the note at this moment. Maybe it will if it is out of beta.

• 4 weeks later...

Hopefully I can help with a few questions:

• You don't need to be an authorized app to process App-links (to local app) or Hyper-links (to EN Web).  
  • EN App-links are not like hyperlinks and won't have a title in any system other than Evernote I believe
  • Zapier can work to get a filtered group of notes to create tasks in todoist and include a link in the note.  IFTTT can probably to do same if you have access to the same API fields
  • RTM connects to EN Reminders not notes
  • TaskClone (our app) sends EN tasks (with checkbox) to Todoist and can include due dates, labels and other parameters in Todoist.  Hyperlink, local link (soon both) can be added to Todoist task
  • Todoist has blog post on integrations - http://blog.todoist.com/2014/07/08/6-awesome-apps-and-services-integrated-with-todoist/
  • You should also be aware that support for EN links is not only app specific, but platform specific.  They may work on Mac, but not Win of the same app.

Whoever "I" is above, thanks -- found this video about TaskClone on YouTube,

and will most certainly try out. May be able to get rid of Zapier, which is leading me to the poorhouse.

TaskClone guys, you need market yourselves better. How come there seem to be no videos on your own website?

Lena

TaskClone guys, you need market yourselves better. How come there seem to be no videos on your own website?

haha.  You are correct, we do need to market better.  #1 goal for 2015.  Spent 2014 focused on getting the service solid and learning from clients.

Youtube channel has video for most popular task apps - http://www.youtube.com/user/taskclone

Working on video for Omnifocus and Nozbe, but TaskClone works with 40+ apps. Here's our post in 3rd-party apps.

Archived