[Suggestion] Add a Fourth Column to View UI

risk

One suggestion that can prove helpful for users with many notebooks and tags is to add another (4th) column to the Snippet and List views to display Tags in it. 

I find it tedious and time consuming having to scroll through my many notebooks and tags in the first column of views. In fact, I usually don't, I just use search or notebook search/type-ahead.  But if tags were more accessible, I would use them more often.

With laptop and desktop computer screens being wide, vertical space is more precious than horizontal space nowadays. I think a fourth column will fit nicely on most computer screens.

If this is not the correct place for suggestions, I hope a moderator can move.

• Level 5*

If you're talking about the Windows client (this topic is tagged as "Windows")List View already allows you to add a tags column. Right-click, on the list header (the one that has the column header names), and check Tags.

Snippet View doesn't have columns per se, but notes in the Snippet View do show their tags, or at least as many of them fit on the second line of the snippet, after the date.

Thanks for the tip Jeff. 

I was suggesting this for the Snippet and Card views and not the List view. The reason I don't use the List view is because it takes too much of the vertical screen space. So if the other two views have a 4th column to display the tags, that would be helpful. Think of the 1st column with Shortcuts, Notebooks, Tags and what have you wrapping around to a 2nd column.

Having Notebooks in column 1 and tags in column 2 can offer a nice way of filtering notes.

• Level 5*

In case you are not aware, there are two list views, horizontal and vertical.  Use ctrl-shift-F5 to toggle between the two.  It still won't get you what you want but maybe one of those list views combined with exposing the tag column mentioned by Jeff, may help and get you closer.

Adding to this, to me what would really be helpful in List view would be to have a column indicating if there's a reminder associated with a note.

And another column indicating if there's an attachment. Sometimes I'm trying to find a note into which I dropped a Word doc or PDF and it gets pretty tedious to change views or use filters.

Having the choices for either of these in List view would be fantastic.

Thanks,

lena

In case you are not aware, there are two list views, horizontal and vertical.  Use ctrl-shift-F5 to toggle between the two.  It still won't get you what you want but maybe one of those list views combined with exposing the tag column mentioned by Jeff, may help and get you closer.

Thanks s2sailor. I was not aware of that option and it is helpful.

I'm just curious, how did you know about this option? I do not see a menu option to toggle horizontal vs. vertical but the keyboard shortcut you mentioned works. It not even listed in the KB: https://evernote.com/contact/support/kb/#!/article/23168552

• Level 5*

Thanks s2sailor. I was not aware of that option and it is helpful.

I'm just curious, how did you know about this option? I do not see a menu option to toggle horizontal vs. vertical but the keyboard shortcut you mentioned works. It not even listed in the KB: https://evernote.com/contact/support/kb/#!/article/23168552

I'm a long time forum reader and this was mentioned a while back.  I've been using it ever since.  I have no idea why EN has not exposed this in the UI.  It might be buried in one of their support documents but I would not be surprised if it isn't.  EN's documentation is a work in progress and tends to lag behind.

Archived