A year of notes lost

I used to use Evernote on my phone to store entries in my dream journal (to help with lucid dreaming) and I recently had to do a factory reset but thought that my notes would be safe. After I found out that not a single note since February 2013 had been synced. I found that they still seem to be stored on the sd-card in a html-format. Is there any way to get them back into Evernote? I have read a few threads about similar problems but have not found any answers.

• Level 5*

I used to use Evernote on my phone to store entries in my dream journal (to help with lucid dreaming) and I recently had to do a factory reset but thought that my notes would be safe. After I found out that not a single note since February 2013 had been synced. I found that they still seem to be stored on the sd-card in a html-format. Is there any way to get them back into Evernote? I have read a few threads about similar problems but have not found any answers.

Sorry to hear about your loss of Notes and failure of Evernote to properly sync.  I don't know why this would happen as it seems very unusual.  I'd strongly suggest that you submit an Evernote Support Ticket (see link below).

Recently I've seen a lot of users reporting loss of data due to failure of Evernote to properly sync.

As you have painfully learned, you can lose data if you don't take proper precautions.

Do NOT assume that Evernote (or any other company/app) will take care of you and always protect your data.

I highly recommend the following:

• Manually sync ALL EN apps after entering important notes or changes to notes
  • If you enter the Note/changes on a smartphone/tablet, make sure these Notes are sync'd and appear on your desktop EN app (EN Win or EN Mac).
  • Backup your EN Win or EN Mac Notes on a frequent, regular basis.
  • Double-check that your Notes are properly sync'd to the Evernote Cloud by viewing your Note using the EN Web app
  • Before you reset your smartphone/tablet, reinstall your PC/Mac OS, or change computers, make sure you have a full backup of you latest EN Notes, and that all Notes properly appear in the EN Web app.
  • Remember that Notes in EN "Local Notebooks" on your PC/Mac are NOT sync'd to the Evernote Cloud.  So the ONLY copy is the copy on your computer.  Make sure these are backed up to an external source (like a USB drive).

Hm, yeah I guess I should have checked the web interface before. It seems like my only hope is to write some script to extract the text data from the files i found and manually reenter them one by one. The title or creation date does not seem to be included in the files though which is a bit of a problem. Anyways, thank you for your help.

Archived