Internal links in local notebooks

Recently my Evernote Windows client started to slowdown in terms of launch & shutdown. I had this issue a while ago & was advised by EN staff to install the latest beta version, which I did & which did the trick. However, lately I noticed a slowdown again, not as dramatic, but still.

This time staff advised me to export my local notes as an enex file, delete the synchronised ones & let the desktop client synchronise with the EN server to allow a refresh of the synchronised notes. After doing this I reimported the enex file I had exported & hooray EN reacted as it should, problem solved.

However ...... that introduced another problem. I noticed that all the internal links are broken ! I use internal links a lot & am therefore truly shocked that this approach to fix a problem is advised by engineers. This means that either one cannot/should not use internal links, or one should not use the enex export route.

Unless I am missing something, I feel that this is a serious shortcoming (another one) of Evernote. Has anyone else experienced this?

Well, now I have a reason to be glad my laptop is "indisposed" for the time being...

That's horrible! Hopefully Gaz, GM or another of our resident experts will have a fix for you in the morning. In the meantime, have you let Support know what result was and asked them:

A) If they knew it would happen & if so, why did they not warn you?

B) If they know of a way to fix it without your having to redo each one manually?

Recently my Evernote Windows client started to slowdown in terms of launch & shutdown. I had this issue a while ago & was advised by EN staff to install the latest beta version, which I did & which did the trick. However, lately I noticed a slowdown again, not as dramatic, but still.

This time staff advised me to export my local notes as an enex file, delete the synchronised ones & let the desktop client synchronise with the EN server to allow a refresh of the synchronised notes. After doing this I reimported the enex file I had exported & hooray EN reacted as it should, problem solved.

However ...... that introduced another problem. I noticed that all the internal links are broken ! I use internal links a lot & am therefore truly shocked that this approach to fix a problem is advised by engineers. This means that either one cannot/should not use internal links, or one should not use the enex export route.

Unless I am missing something, I feel that this is a serious shortcoming (another one) of Evernote. Has anyone else experienced this?

Well, now I have a reason to be glad my laptop is "indisposed" for the time being...

That's horrible! Hopefully Gaz, GM or another of our resident experts will have a fix for you in the morning. In the meantime, have you let Support know what result was and asked them:

A) If they knew it would happen & if so, why did they not warn you?

B) If they know of a way to fix it without your having to redo each one manually?

Yes, the solution will have to come from the forum because the engineer does not answer anymore :angry:

Hmm, that's annoying. After waiting to see what others here have to say, perhaps you might still consider posting your ticket number with a request that it be flagged for a different tech to investigate? Just a thought...

Anyway, it's after 1:00 am where I am and I gotta get up in a few hours for an appointment I dare not miss, so I bid you goodnight for now. And good luck!

Keep in mind the GUID (globally unique identifier) may change in certain circumstances.  IE, if the note you are linking to, gets moved from a sync'd notebook to a local notebook (even by accident), the GUID is changed & the link is now broken.  Even if you move it back to a sync'd notebook, the GUID is still different & the link is broken.  Or let's say you muffed up a note & want to pull it from a backup you have on your hard drive...importing that note will now give it a new GUID. 

So although they are nice, it may be good to not rely on them if it's very important. 

What I do is use the random password generator in Roboform & paste that into the notes.  IE, if I have note 1 & note 2 that I want "linked", I will add "Reference # abcdefghijk" in both notes.  Then I simply have to search on abcdefghijk to find all the related notes.

Keep in mind the GUID (globally unique identifier) may change in certain circumstances.  IE, if the note you are linking to, gets moved from a sync'd notebook to a local notebook (even by accident), the GUID is changed & the link is now broken.  Even if you move it back to a sync'd notebook, the GUID is still different & the link is broken.  Or let's say you muffed up a note & want to pull it from a backup you have on your hard drive...importing that note will now give it a new GUID. 

So although they are nice, it may be good to not rely on them if it's very important. 

What I do is use the random password generator in Roboform & paste that into the notes.  IE, if I have note 1 & note 2 that I want "linked", I will add "Reference # abcdefghijk" in both notes.  Then I simply have to search on abcdefghijk to find all the related notes.

Thank you for this BNF. So it seems the links are beyond repair. I will have to accept this then as a "fait accompli", unfortunately. Consequently, like you say, don't use internal links anymore, better to use some form of codes in the body of the note.

By the way, good to see you still participate in this forum  :)  ;)  :D.

Hmm, that's annoying. After waiting to see what others here have to say, perhaps you might still consider posting your ticket number with a request that it be flagged for a different tech to investigate? Just a thought...

Anyway, it's after 1:00 am where I am and I gotta get up in a few hours for an appointment I dare not miss, so I bid you goodnight for now. And good luck!

The links are beyond repair - see comments from BNF. Advice: DO NOT USE INTERNAL LINKS, use "body codes" instead.

Staying up till so late, and still answer EN posts? Thanks for your commitment, I appreciate it ;)

• Level 5*

When this happened to me I had the benefit of not having changed any of the linked text, so I can at least copy/paste into the search bar and find the local note.  Kind of like letting the "abcdefghijk" be the note title.   :)

Doesn't cover the two way look up though....

As far as I have been able to tell, note links for synced notes seem to survive a rebuild and an ENEX import of a local note maintains the link to a synced note.

Nice idea - using Roboform to generate a unique code.

I love Evernote and use it not only to store data, but as my prime tool to apply the Getting Things Done time management system. So it's important to me.

My preference is to keep things pretty simple with Evernote and don't use too many of its bells and whistles. This brilliant as a simple tool – especially now the iPad version has improved massively.

I, for one, will be cautious about using the internal hyperlinks from now on.

Good luck, Pete, with sorting your links out.

Malc

• Level 5*

When this happened to me I had the benefit of not having changed any of the linked text, so I can at least copy/paste into the search bar and find the local note.  Kind of like letting the "abcdefghijk" be the note title.   :)

This is my approach as well.  If the link is broken I just search on the link text to find the original note and then recreate the link.

I, for one, will be cautious about using the internal hyperlinks from now on.

This discussion has focused on local notebooks.  If you only use sync'd notebooks you should be ok.

• Level 5*

This discussion has focused on local notebooks.  If you only use sync'd notebooks you should be ok.

Umm...no. Please read my reply in post #5.

I'm not sure which statement you are objecting to but the OP was commenting on local notebooks and as long as you don't use local notebooks you "should" be ok.  Granted there are other circumstances that could cause the GUID to change but I still find note links reliable enough for my own usage, but yup, user beware, they are not perfect.

I plead for simplicity again – I find Evernote fantastically useful. But the sophistication they add as they go along could lead to problems.

Once I had a syncing problem between devices and it was taking me ages to talk to support to try and sort it out. To be honest, they didn't seem to have much of a clue at least, not enough to give me confidence. Then when I suggested me opening a new account and transferring the best known data over there, they readily agreed.

Since then all has been fine.

All this reinforces in me the knowledge that Evernote is not PowerPoint, it's not Word, it's not a very good PDF reader, it's not even fantastic with images (resizing?); but it is brilliant at searching, storing, tagging, and (usually) syncing.

So I won't be relying on its hyperlinking power to build up some massive filing cabinet of hyperlinks. I might use one of them now and again, but Evernote is not an HTML document.

I think any of the complications of Evernote are best used in moderation. I'll just keep using it for what it is great at.

Malc

I'm not sure which statement you are objecting to but the OP was commenting on local notebooks and as long as you don't use local notebooks you "should" be ok.  Granted there are other circumstances that could cause the GUID to change but I still find note links reliable enough for my own usage, but yup, user beware, they are not perfect.

The part that is not correct is the general assumption that " If you only use sync'd notebooks you should be ok" which tends to give a false sense of security, to someone reading that statement.  Any of the circumstances I mentioned above will break internal links on sync'd notes.  To each his own.  But I think people who use internal links should be aware of these pitfalls.  If they choose to continue to use them, knowing this, then that's fine & certainly their choice.  Personally, IMO, if it's important enough to link to, I don't want to lose that link.

• Level 5*

I tend to agree with s2sailor here.  The qualifier in his statement is "should" be okay with synced notes.  My use case, I don't see a high risk in one of the fringe events occurring, so I'll skip the overhead of adding my own links.  And should a fringe event occur, it's not like I can't find the note.  Which I know has the attendant risk of me changing the title of that note.  (A good reason to not go too OCD in clean up mode.)

I tend to agree with s2sailor here.  The qualifier in his statement is "should" be okay with synced notes.  My use case, I don't see a high risk in one of the fringe events occurring, so I'll skip the overhead of adding my own links.  And should a fringe event occur, it's not like I can't find the note.  Which I know has the attendant risk of me changing the title of that note.  (A good reason to not go too OCD in clean up mode.)

As I said...

The part that is not correct is the general assumption that " If you only use sync'd notebooks you should be ok" which tends to give a false sense of security, to someone reading that statement Any of the circumstances I mentioned above will break internal links on sync'd notes.  To each his own.  But I think people who use internal links should be aware of these pitfalls.  If they choose to continue to use them, knowing this, then that's fine & certainly their choice.  Personally, IMO, if it's important enough to link to, I don't want to lose that link.

So...knowing all that, if anyone chooses to continue to use them, then fine.  But apparently there are some people who choose to not take that chance. 

• Level 5*

As I said...

The part that is not correct is the general assumption that " If you only use sync'd notebooks you should be ok" which tends to give a false sense of security, to someone reading that statement Any of the circumstances I mentioned above will break internal links on sync'd notes.  To each his own.  But I think people who use internal links should be aware of these pitfalls.  If they choose to continue to use them, knowing this, then that's fine & certainly their choice.  Personally, IMO, if it's important enough to link to, I don't want to lose that link.

So...knowing all that, if anyone chooses to continue to use them, then fine.  But apparently there are some people who choose to not take that chance. 

Got it the very first time, without the highlights, go figure.  And I thought I was just sharing an opinion, though perhaps from the willing to take a risk perspective, and the why of that.

Got it the very first time, without the highlights, go figure.  And I thought I was just sharing an opinion, though perhaps from the willing to take a risk perspective, and the why of that.

Then I don't know why the continued back & forth on this.  But feel free to carry on. 

• Level 5*

I was actually done at post 16, just sharing an opinion.  But the red highlight and recent discussions in the forum re civility compelled me to respond.  I am truly done now.

Archived