Do annotations cause high upload trafffic?

I have a new account that's just about a week old. Right now I have a total of 26 small text notes and one note containing a 826kb pdf. 

Somehow I've already used 63.8 MB of my monthly upload allowance. 

I have annotated with highlights the pdf heavily... currently at 125 annotations...is this somehow responsible for 60+ mb of data?

• Level 5*

I have a new account that's just about a week old. Right now I have a total of 26 small text notes and one note containing a 826kb pdf. 

Somehow I've already used 63.8 MB of my monthly upload allowance. 

I have annotated with highlights the pdf heavily... currently at 125 annotations...is this somehow responsible for 60+ mb of data?

Hi. Every time you make changes to a PDF and save it, Evernote has to upload the entire PDF (it doesn't know what you changed and didn't change with attachments), so it is entirely possible. Or, if you deleted a lot of files and they are still in the trash, that could be throwing off the note count. Ideally, with Evernote, I prefer to put in attachments after they are finished in order to avoide unnecessary uploads.

(1) In practice, this means putting it in SpiderOak (if I keep it in the cloud) and moving it into Evernote when it is ready to upload.

(2) Alternatively, you could keep it in a local notebook (not synced, so no problems with the upload amount, but also inaccessible on mobile) and move it into a regular synced notebook when you are done.

I'm using the windows desktop version. Is there a way to make notebooks purely local on that platform? All the references about local notebooks seem to be in regards to mobile platforms. 

I can't take the annotating outside evernote because I need the annotation summary. 

It seems my only option is to turn off automatic sync and just sync manually every few days. 

• Level 5*

I'm using the windows desktop version. Is there a way to make notebooks purely local on that platform? All the references about local notebooks seem to be in regards to mobile platforms. 

I can't take the annotating outside evernote because I need the annotation summary. 

It seems my only option is to turn off automatic sync and just sync manually every few days. 

Yes. Offline notebooks are for mobile, and they mean notebooks which have their contents downloaded onto your device (this happens automatically on your desktop). Local notebooks are for the desktop apps, and they mean notebooks that are only on your local hard drive, never uploaded to Evernote's servers. The names are confusing. As you'll see from the CEO's comments about them (follow the link), he thinks the naming is confusing too! I don't know if the annotation tools work with local notebooks, but I don't see why they wouldn't. It is worth a try.

The local notebook feature exists, but is well-hidden (at least on Mac). I think Evernote discourages local notebooks, because they are anathema to the core service (the cloud).

In his one and only post on this forum, Phil Libin (the CEO) even said once that he regrets having made them.

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/24560-phil-libins-negative-comments-on-offline-notebooks/?p=129304

But, they are there, so let's use them, because they are a great way to deal with limited uploads and/or security concerns.

Here is a screenshot for Windows.

https://www.google.com/search?q=windows+evernote+local+notebooks&client=firefox-a&hs=k6R&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&channel=fflb&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=o636U6T5IcyKyASz7oD4Dw&ved=0CAoQ_AUoAw&biw=1172&bih=772#facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=D-l5SzOgtPvw-M%253A%3BmaLxqMfHQLXueM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.guidingtech.com%252Fassets%252Fpostimages%252F2011%252F11%252Fprivatenotebook.png%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.guidingtech.com%252F8643%252Fcomplete-guide-to-evernote%252F%3B369%3B235

Archived