Conversations in Evernote

akhilaryan

Idea

Hey Guys,

I am new to Evernote and apart from taking notes I would like to use Evernote to document conversations that I have with my friends and colleagues.

Since conversation are almost always unique between myself and another individual, making a notebook for every friend that I have and sharing it with them is quite a tedious task. I see the value of sharing a notebook instead a note (because then we can speak about various things and have separate notes within the notebook) and so I was wondering if there way a way to create a collection of notebook and put it into one name on my main dashboard which I would like to keep simple to distinguish between work and personal.

Please help.

3 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Hi.  There's a limit to the number of notebooks,  so I'd suggest just having a note with your friends' full details tagged <gazumped> <home> (for example) and separate notes for each subsequent conversation tagged <gazumped> <phonecall> (again, for example).  Then if you search for "tag:gazumped tag:phonecall" (without the quotes) you'd get all my phone calls,  or if you just search on the name you'll get all conversations.

Hi.  There's a limit to the number of notebooks,  so I'd suggest just having a note with your friends' full details tagged <gazumped> <home> (for example) and separate notes for each subsequent conversation tagged <gazumped> <phonecall> (again, for example).  Then if you search for "tag:gazumped tag:phonecall" (without the quotes) you'd get all my phone calls,  or if you just search on the name you'll get all conversations.

Thank you for this.

But then how can I share it with my friends in a way that only they can see/edit the conversation between both of us?

Is there a way to maintain a notebook shared with multiple people such that a single person can only view/contribute to specific notes within the notebook?

Thanks for your help.

• Level 5*

Ah.  Sorry;  sharing each set of conversations is a whole other ball game.  First,  to share with more than one other person,  you need to be a Premium member;  and second,  to receive a notebook share,  they also have to be Evernote users.  (Not necessarily a bad thing,  but another thing to explain...)

And you're right.  A notebook per friend will have to be the standard.  What you can do is to put all those notebooks into a 'stack' so there's a quick way to find them - but you can't (AFAIK) create any kind of a shortcut directly to that stack,  apart from saving it into the 'favourites' bar in the main Evernote app.

The most effective use case (I think) would be to use third-party apps to record/ document the call,  then email the files to your Evernote address using the @<notebookname> #<tag> subject line to ensure it's filed in the correct notebook.

Bear in mind your notebook max is 250,  including any other work and personal notebooks...

Archived