Customer service terrible, why do they avoid simple questions?

Mr Nick

So On Monday I discovered that HALF of my tags had just disappeared (roughly 75-80 tags), Day 1. I reported this via chat, got asked to send logs, was told it would be escalated.  Day 2 got email asking what the format of the tags was, Day 3 asked for update via chat - agent, Matt, ended it half way through answering my questions claiming inactivity my end (he was literally half way through a paragraph and hadn't asked me to respond to anything).  I have asked now on 4 separate occasions if I am OK to use evernote in the meantime, or if it is best not to (fear of losing any work if they find a fix, fear of it reducing the possibility of finding a fix), and every agent has just ignored this question, literally just ignored it.  I am a premium user and would expect better.  I use evernote for work as well as personal stuff, so have basically lost 3 days already, with no update, no estimate of length of time to fix, no answer to the question of using it in the meantime.  And I pay for this s***.  What do I have to do to get customer services to respond? How can I make a complaint? what are good alternatives to evernote?  If I can't trust evernote not to lose information, and if I can't trust evernote to fix it if they do, how can I use evernote in the way they advertise it? I really used to like evernote, got my whole team to sign up, encouraged a number of them to buy the premium upgrade.  I am starting to really regret that.  What do I have to do to get this fixed? 

Ticket #690439

• Ex Employees

Thanks for sharing your Ticket #. Your ticket is currently in queue for our L2 TSR. I've contacted them and shared your forum comments. You will be reached via email shortly with further instructions. 

If you do have a backup of your data, this is a great place to reimport missing data. Unlike Mac, Windows requires users to manually create a back up, which for future best practice, we suggest users to periodically backup data. You can find instructions on how to back up and restore data for Windows desktop here: https://evernote.com/contact/support/kb/#!/article/23186097

• Ex Employees

You can locate Mac Purgatory (backup) in the finder, open the "Library" folder in your home directory. (This is in the directory with your name under "Users" , NOT under "Library" at the top level of your hard drive.) (Note: On MacOS 10.7 Lion or higher, Click on "Go" and then Hold "Option". This allows you to select the hidden "Library" folder). Then go to: Library / Application Support / Evernote / accounts / Evernote /<your username>/ purgatory or ~/Library/Containers/com.evernote.Evernote/Data/Library/Application Support/Evernote/account/<your username>/purgatory.

That directory may contain one entry for each note that was emptied from the trash.  You should be able to open the *.html files in that directory from a web browser like Safari.

If you are using Time Machine or another backup program, you may be able to restore to a previous database state.

• Level 5*

I have Purgatory folders in other locations in my Library - but not in either place you suggest. None of them seem to contain data. I'm running the latest beta - 5.6.0 Beta 6.

If this is a backup, how often are the changes logged? And for how long are they maintained?

Just a note. For Non-App Store installations, Purgatory is actually located:

~/Library/Application Support/com.evernote.Evernote/accounts/Evernote/<Random digits>/

​The contents of that folder seem.... random at best. Looks like it is definitely a last-ditch effort to recover lost notes if the user hasn't made a backup of their own. But it could definitely save some people's butts!!

• Level 5*

I'm running the latest beta and don't have that folder, I have:

~/Library/Application Support/com.evernote.Evernote/accounts/www.evernote.com/random number/purgatory

I have 2 random numbers, 2 accounts. Both the purgatory folders are empty.

It is possible you haven thing purgatory worthy.... Figuring it was related to trash, I tried sending some notes to the trash, that didn't make them appear in Purg... Then thinking it might be notes ​permanently deleted, I then tried erasing some notes from the trash itself, those also did not appear in purgatory. 

I really imagine this is a super-duper, end of the rope, no other choice, good-luck kind of situation. 

Archived