REQUEST: Templates for Evernote

This is actually really easy. I'm using a mac but there really is a similar workflow for windows I believe. What I do is drag a note (the one you want to use as the template) out of EN and put it on the desktop. It creates a file called NoteExport.enex. You can change the filename to whatever you want (like meetingtemplate.enex) but make sure you keep the extension the same. You have to store this file outside of Evernote (like a folder on your desktop or dropbox). The reason you can't store in EN is in the application of the template.

When you want to apply the template into a notebook simply drag that .enex file off your desktop into the desired notebook. Then change the note title and off you go. The other alternative to this is create a template note in the notebook where you will use it (or create a notebook of templates) and copy/paste into a new note.

Hope this helps. I'm sure there is a more elegant way Evernote could code this into the application however I would assume they haven't done this yet as it would be fairly complex to do across all platforms.

Tom

Wow works great! Thanks. I will use this very handy tip.  However, I also use Everynote on my Ipad for field work for recording exposure settings on my film camera. I'm thinking what would be a cool feature is a template that looks like a note pad on the side bar where I can drag a drop a template. I'm sure this is useful for other field work like note taking for sales people or nurses taking notes on vitals. 

Cheers!

• Level 5*

If you'vre working in Windows, you can also use the Copy Note functionality to make a copy of a note, say, to a different notebook. I use this all the time for template operations, a bit easier than dragging/dropping from the desktop. This functionality isn't available for iPad (or any mobile client), as far as I know, though.

You are making this harder than it needs to be.  I have a Project Management Template that I keep in my Collection Box notebook.  The title is Project Management Master Template, which came from gieglas.com.  My wife manages 568+ recipes in Evernote using a similar master template for easy creation.  

Whenever I need to create a new note based on the template, I create a new note, copy the template and paste.  This allows me to create a PMMT based note when I only have my iPad or Phone, not my laptop available.  It would be easy to create a notebook called Templates and keep them all there.  

• 8 months later...

1.      KustomNote is a web app that links to Evernote letting you create templates/forms, fill them in and save the data into your Evernote account.

2.       Export a Note from Evernote and use this as a template. Create your template note in Evernote. Select “File” –> “Export Note” and save it to somewhere handy (e.g. your desktop) under a suitable name. This will create a file in .enex (Evernote export) format. When you want to create a note using the template, just drag & drop the .enex file back into Evernote and a new note will be created with the template contents and even the same tags as the template.

3.      Use a Text Expander. Text expanders are apps that let you enter a preset keystroke sequence, preceeded or followed by a “hotkey” combination which will then insert a string of text. More powerful text expanders when triggered can produce a pick-list, open an app or even a web page.

You are making this harder than it needs to be.  I have a Project Management Template that I keep in my Collection Box notebook.  The title is Project Management Master Template, which came from gieglas.com.  My wife manages 568+ recipes in Evernote using a similar master template for easy creation.  

Whenever I need to create a new note based on the template, I create a new note, copy the template and paste.  This allows me to create a PMMT based note when I only have my iPad or Phone, not my laptop available.  It would be easy to create a notebook called Templates and keep them all there.  

Now you are making it harder. Perhaps Jefito's answer isn't clear but if you have a note with a standard lay-out residing in a notebook (it does not even have to be on the desktop), you can right-click on that standard note, then click on "Copy to notebook ...". When you do, you are even given the choice of whether to preserve created & updated dates & preserve tags. If you uncheck the dates bit, your copied note will appear at the top of your list of notes with today's dates.

You can't have it any simpler than that.

• Level 5*

If you'vre working in Windows, you can also use the Copy Note functionality to make a copy of a note, say, to a different notebook. I use this all the time for template operations, a bit easier than dragging/dropping from the desktop. This functionality isn't available for iPad (or any mobile client), as far as I know, though.

You can double click the ENEX on the desktop and the note appears in your "INBOX".  Easier for me than shortcut bar and then the copy process.  FWIW..

I have a Managers report I have to fill out every week.  I would like to store the content blank "template" so that I can fill it out for the meeting and make notes at the bottom to include any action items that come out of that meeting.  Does anyone else do this and if so how?

I just don't want to have to type the same stuff each week.  I could just save one note and use it each time and rename and save, but thought maybe there was an easier faster way.

Thanks

Brendalee

• Level 5*

I have a Managers report I have to fill out every week.  I would like to store the content blank "template" so that I can fill it out for the meeting and make notes at the bottom to include any action items that come out of that meeting.  Does anyone else do this and if so how?

I just don't want to have to type the same stuff each week.  I could just save one note and use it each time and rename and save, but thought maybe there was an easier faster way.

Thanks

Brendalee

Hi. Welcome to the forums. I have done this in the past:

http://www.christopher-mayo.com/?p=459

This is actually really easy. I'm using a mac but there really is a similar workflow for windows I believe. What I do is drag a note (the one you want to use as the template) out of EN and put it on the desktop. It creates a file called NoteExport.enex. You can change the filename to whatever you want (like meetingtemplate.enex) but make sure you keep the extension the same. You have to store this file outside of Evernote (like a folder on your desktop or dropbox). The reason you can't store in EN is in the application of the template.

When you want to apply the template into a notebook simply drag that .enex file off your desktop into the desired notebook. Then change the note title and off you go. The other alternative to this is create a template note in the notebook where you will use it (or create a notebook of templates) and copy/paste into a new note.

Hope this helps. I'm sure there is a more elegant way Evernote could code this into the application however I would assume they haven't done this yet as it would be fairly complex to do across all platforms.

Tom

I like this idea. Sadly it didn't work in Windows 8.1 when I tried it. Must be a Mac only process.

• Level 5*

I like this idea. Sadly it didn't work in Windows 8.1 when I tried it. Must be a Mac only process.

Works fine on the Windows desktop client, at least in Win 7. Running a beta release (5.6.2) but I'm pretty sure it's been there all along.

I still don't see this process as being any easier than just using Copy Note...

• Level 5*

Works fine on the Windows desktop client, at least in Win 7. Running a beta release (5.6.2) but I'm pretty sure it's been there all along.

Half the clicks.

• Level 5*

Half the clicks.

You're counting clicks, but you're not counting the drag/drop operation and the need to arrange your windows so that you can drag effectively (I have very cluttered desktops). Clicks are easy, dragging is complicated. I don't need to leave Evernote and find a .enex from somewhere else and drag it into Evernote.  For occasional use (2-3 times a week), when I'm already in Evernote, I don't see much any reason to leave it.

And your mother wears army boots. :)

• Level 5*

Half the clicks.

You're counting clicks, but you're not counting the drag/drop operation and the need to arrange your windows so that you can drag effectively (I have very cluttered desktops). Clicks are easy, dragging is complicated. I don't need to leave Evernote and find a .enex from somewhere else and drag it into Evernote.  For occasional use (2-3 times a week), when I'm already in Evernote, I don't see much any reason to leave it.

And your mother wears army boots. :)

Nice! Two 23" monitors, right one dedicated to EN, ENEX template always visible at right edge of left monitor. Double click the ENEX when the need arises (does that count as 1.5 clicks in reality?), go to Inbox and we're off! Used multiple times a day.

Get you some of that! ;-)

• Level 5*

At work I have two of those. Matters little to me. I could clutter up four of them.

The Inbox trick is a good one, for sure. No drag/drop required, so I'll give you that one.  :)

• Level 5*

A template is fine but some smarts - like prompting you to choose dates and things from lists - would be really valuable.

I'm sure that someone clever could put together an unholy combination of, say, AutoHotKey (or its OS/X equivalent) and Perl to do something like this. :)

Archived