How best to Manage my growing Movie lists in Evernote & then sort?

I've been using Evernote more and more and it is now my only way to capture and organize my notes, I now have Notebooks and over 300 notes, I LOVE it.  I would like to try to figure out a way to manage my Movies, books or other growing media and lists.

Say I currently have a list of 300 DVD's or 100 Books in Excel, I can add a new title to the bottom of the document and then quickly SORT alphabetically & my list evolves.  I don't see any sorting or alphabetical options inside a note, any suggestions?  

I'm not looking to link to the excel document more so a simple LIST I can add to and then sort alphabetically again.

• Level 5*

Just add your movie or book as a note title,  and add a tag <book> etc as appropriate.  FInd all your books with a search for tag:book,  and sort the results in List view.  You can obviously add much more information about individual entries if you wish,  and find those notes again b searching on keywords.

• 6 months later...

Any way this can be done in 1 Note, I'd love to be able to add DVD's and movies to a growing list but also SORT alphabetically.  

Same for my books, audio books and eBooks, I have them in Excel now and would love for it to go into Evernote if I could Sort.

• Level 5*

It depends how you want to sort stuff,  but in Evernote add the DVD,  movie,  game or book by title.  Tag each one as "DVD",  "movie",  "game" or "book".  Add your comments to each note.  Now you can sort your whole collection by title;  find all the books with titles containing a word (like "battle") with "intitle:battle",  and use listing,  tags or searches to find any part of your collection.  Something similar should work in OneNote if you want it to...

• Level 5*

Any way this can be done in 1 Note, I'd love to be able to add DVD's and movies to a growing list but also SORT alphabetically.  

Same for my books, audio books and eBooks, I have them in Excel now and would love for it to go into Evernote if I could Sort.

1 note, or OneNote?

Evernote doesn't offer in-note sorting, in any of the clients, that I know of. 

• Level 5*

Since you can't sort text within a Note in Evernote, you're probably better off just attaching the Excel file to an EN Note.

If you are a Premium account owner running EN Mac, you can display the Excel attachment inline in the Note.

The cool thing Evernote could do for you is to get you to expand what can be captured about a movie or book beyond what a spread sheet can capture. That's where I'd lean more towards having each movie have its own note. You can clip webpages, add trailers, your own notes, etc. I'd add a set of tags to sort movies by type and maybe rating. 

• Level 5*

Sorting by tags doesn't really work very well if you have multiple tags per Note.

One option would be to attach the Excel file to maintain and sort your list of movies/books, and then put a EN Note link in the Excel row for each item you want to have separate EN Notes for.

I say put your lists into an outliner like WorkFlowy where you can organize them hierarchically by genre and/ or tag them. Then, as JMichael suggested, you could link to an Evernote note by way of a link. Or if you are willing to invest the time, @Gazumped's solution is highly versatile.

• Level 5*

Frank, if you know of a good technique to sort Notes based on multiple tags, please let us know!

Here are the challenges I have found trying to sort on tags using EN Mac 6.0.6:

(may be different in EN Win)

1. Snippet view does not offer a Tag sort option
  2. So, must use either Top or Side List views although I prefer the Snippet view since it gives me thumbnail for the book, movie, album, etc.
  3. Let's say genre (e.g. Rock, Jazz, C&W, etc) is one of my tags, but I also have tags for the artist, rating, etc
  4. If I sort on genre using Tags, Evernote puts the tags in each Note in alphabetic order, so sometimes, for example, the artist name might appear before the genre name
  5. Thus, I don't get a pure sort on just genre name.

If there is a way around this, please let us know.

I'm not talking about sorting by tags. One would sort by title as @Gaz mentioned... and use tags for genres - comedy, drama, etc. - duration, imdb/ rotten tomato rating, directors commentary... Whatever might add more dimension.

EDIT: I totally echo/ acknowledge the points you outlined. Nicely put.

Maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree, but if I'm not mistaken, one can see a list of tags available for your notes in Snippet view by clicking on the tag icon in the note list toolbar... Both on Mac and Windows. Plus when you filter by a certain tag and subsequently click on the tag filter icon again, you'll see what other tags are associated with the notes already filtered, if there are any. That may have some application in all of this... Dunno. But I wasn't really getting at sorting by tags. Just being able to filter by (tag) category if desired... As a secondary thing.

• Level 5*

OK, "filtering" is different from "sorting".  I have noticed that people (not you) sometimes use the word "sort" when they really mean "filter".

Filtering by tags works great!  So if I want to see a list of only my jazz albums, I could press CMD-SHIFT-J to bring up the tag filter, and enter "gen.j" and EN would autoselect my tag "GEN.Jazz", and which point I just hit the ENTER key.  If I have movies, books, etc that are also of the genre "Jazz" then I would need an additional filter for type:  Type.Album

I just can't get a nice list of my albums sorted by genre in Evernote.  Excel does a much nicer, better job of that.

OK, "filtering" is different from "sorting".  I have noticed that people (not you) sometimes use the word "sort" when they really mean "filter".

Filtering by tags works great!  So if I want to see a list of only my jazz albums, I could press CMD-SHIFT-J to bring up the tag filter, and enter "gen.j" and EN would autoselect my tag "GEN.Jazz", and which point I just hit the ENTER key.  If I have movies, books, etc that are also of the genre "Jazz" then I would need an additional filter for type:  Type.Album

I just can't get a nice list of my albums sorted by genre in Evernote.  Excel does a much nicer, better job of that.

Agree excel does a much nicer job.  Right now I have 300+ DVD's listed and if I add a 301st then SORT it puts them in Alphabetical order.  In ever note it would be newest at the bottom or manual.  

• Level 5*

The nice thing about EN Mac is that it will display an Excel attachment inline (like a PDF).  So I can actually see my list in EN, but then just double-click on the attachment to update.  Of course EN also includes the Excel attachment in searches.

I'm not sure if EN Win offers inline viewing of Excel and Word, or not.

• Level 5*

EN Windows doesn't 'do' inline file views of anything but PDFs and pictures (yet) - though it's possible to paste a table from Excel or Word into a note. 

@ Shanezam203 - your notes can be sorted any way you want - by title,  recently updated first or last,  and recently created first or last.

@ Shanezam203 - your notes can be sorted any way you want - by title,  recently updated first or last,  and recently created first or last.

I can sort my notes and notebooks I understand, I would like to have 1 note that is DVD's and sort the list inside it.

Right now in Excel I have my 300 DVD's and Movies and can sort them, if I add a 301st movie, I sort it and they are in alphabetical order.  In Evernote I have to sort the data in excel first then paste inside Evernote for it to be in order.

@ Shanezam203 - your notes can be sorted any way you want - by title, recently updated first or last, and recently created first or last.

I can sort my notes and notebooks I understand, I would like to have 1 note that is DVD's and sort the list inside it.

Right now in Excel I have my 300 DVD's and Movies and can sort them, if I add a 301st movie, I sort it and they are in alphabetical order. In Evernote I have to sort the data in excel first then paste inside Evernote for it to be in order.

That's why @Gazumped walked you through the solution for Evernote. You've explained your challenge clearly a couple of times. And unfortunately you are not going to have Evernote do things the way you want. EN does not sort within notes. Read carefully through the options given again, which include 3rd party apps, creating separate notes for each movie title and popping the excel document into EN.

Archived