Evernote for Mac 5.6 Beta 6

Jackolicious

Idea

• Level 5
Hey all!

Evernote for Mac 5.6 Beta 6 is out. 5.5 users with "update to beta" checked in their preferences should start seeing this build as available for download. Here's the link just in case: http://goo.gl/Cm11r2

This release is mostly stability/sync fixes. Looking forward to hearing how it's going!

48 replies to this idea

Ok, managed to get it back up again by deleting the reverse domain files as well i.e. com.evernote, amateur oversight on my behalf. The only minor issue now is that in Snippet view I get to see only the note's title & a preview of the contents of an attached file but I no longer can see the first few lines in that note. Some notes, however, (the minority) do show those first few lines.

Misc. bug reports:

1. Regression from 5.5: unable to hide Evernote “Elephant” status menu item when using background service (see this report on beta 1)
  2. Bug since 5.6 beta 5: Spotlight search only works on notes added or edited after beta 5
  3. Localization glitch: background services menu item in preferences misspells “Evernote” as “Evernot” in German localization (Freudian slip?)

Config: Evernote 5.6 beta 6 on OS X 10.9.4  (13E28) German locale

Not very happy at the moment. Have installed beta 6 & after adding a Word document to one of my notes things went awry. First double-clicking would not open it (the attached Word doc) & after quitting Evernote & restarting it I keep getting a message about a note no longer being available. Regardless of whether I then click cancel & create note, Evernote crashes a few seconds later.

I have deleted all the pref files but no change. I have deleted the beta & re-downloaded but no change. Next thing will be to remove the Evernote files from Application Support in the Library.

Not very happy at the moment. Have installed beta 6 & after adding a Word document to one of my notes things went awry. First double-clicking would not open it (the attached Word doc) & after quitting Evernote & restarting it I keep getting a message about a note no longer being available. Regardless of whether I then click cancel & create note, Evernote crashes a few seconds later.

I have deleted all the pref files but no change. I have deleted the beta & re-downloaded but no change. Next thing will be to remove the Evernote files from Application Support in the Library.

Just checked here and it opens word doc and leaves the note in tact.  Using Mac that is.  Keep sending them the Crash report and Jack picks these up.

Sorry if this is a duplication...

On Beta 6 or maybe before too, the option to right click and import note is / has been removed?  Export Note remains.  Import is only available from File, Import Notes...

Is there a benefit for having it this way?

• Level 5

On Beta 6 or maybe before too, the option to right click and import note is / has been removed?  Export Note remains.  Import is only available from File, Import Notes...

Where were you right-clicking to see the Import Note menu and in what version?

5.6.0 Beta 6 and yes right clicking to see what I was of the understanding was always there, Import Note

• Level 5

5.6.0 Beta 6 and yes right clicking to see what I was of the understanding was always there, Import Note

I’m not seeing the Import Note context menu in 5.5.2 either.

Context menus change depending on where you click (hence the name). Where are you expecting to see this one?

I am on a Mac 10.9.4 & I thought that I had sent several i.e. whenever I have relaunched the Beta I got the window offering to send the cash report. It appears to crash when it tries to sync as I can see the blue sync arrows start to spin for about a second, then they stop & then Evernote quits/crashes.
I have Yosemite running on another partition & I installed the Beta on it yesterday & it worked/synced without a hitch.
That makes me think that there is some file/database left behind when I delete the Evernote folder from the Library/Application Support folder & all the Preference files. Are there other files that I can nuke?

• Level 5*

We are back to syncing at regular intervals EXCEPT in the case of shared notes and in situations which require the service (like note links). We were not respecting the sync interval preference in earlier betas.

Jack, I think most of us would find it very helpful if you guys would publish info like this in the release notes and forum post for new updates (both GA and Beta).

Thanks.

Tried beta 6 just now, and found notes import/export to be very slow, compared to v5.5.2. I've gone back to v5.5.2 as a result, since I'm in the middle of moving a lot of notes from Devonthink.

I wouldn't mind installing betas on the side and test it again as new betas become available. This would be possible if not for a slight problem in the new data folder scheme used by 5.6 betas. In the past, Evernote data was stored in "~/Library/Application Support/Evernote" on a Mac. Now 2 new folders are created:

~/Library/Application Support/com.evernote.Evernote.link
~/Library/Application Support/com.evernote.EvernoteHelper.link

with the first being the the main data folder, while "Evernote" folder is used only for "quick-notes".

This design has made the "Evernote" folder incompatible with old versions. It would be great if 5.6 betas could use the 2 new folders exclusively (including for "quick-notes"), leaving the "Evernote" folder alone. In that case, I would be happy to test the betas on the side.

After recovering from my earlier problem (crashing upon starting Beta 6) I now have a never ending sync issue. It has been going for close to 24 hours (very slow connection ~ 150KB/s) & it is still syncing (down) but neither the Evernote nor the com.evernote folders in Application Support are getting any bigger. So where is all this download going?

I think I'll have to reinstall my Evernote app. Yesterday it crashed and never managed to get on it's feet again. On restarting the app after it had crashed it went on 'migrating notes from previous versions', without really doing anything. Have to force-stop Evernote.

Hello,

Really big problem found

if you buy a 1Gb extra for uploading the App counter does´t match with the real data.

See the attached image

post-211891-0-93551400-1409256165_thumb.

now i  can´t modify or edit any of my notes because the cuota is exceded

but isn´t real, see the screen capture of my Evernote web version

post-211891-0-92490300-1409256166_thumb.

best regards

Is it still necessary to email support about this problem?  I've been waiting for days for my upload allowance to reset - but now that I log into the web version it says my upload allowance has reset and will reset in 26 more days.  I've quit the Mac app and restarted.  Still says my upload allowance hasn't reset.  Version 6.0.3 (451151 App Store)

I noticed in this beta that the syncing is less frequent / automatic. In the previous 5 betas, new notes would sync immediately, making things like note links available. In this release I seem to have to manually sync.

Not sure if anyone else has experienced this - may be just me!

Hi all, relative newbie here. I downloaded Mac OS Yosemite Beta on Sunday and it seemed logical to try EN Beta afterwards. Functionality wise happy so far. Will test much more tomorrow. However one "design" question which I could not see that was asked in earlier beta discussions (apologies if it was). The font size for tags is a lot smaller than I expected (and want). Even a one point increase would help. I have attached a screenshot so that you can see what it looks like on Macbook Air 13" screen. The link for the screenshot is  https://db.tt/Qa0zEPMu

Thoughts?

• Level 5*

The font size for tags is a lot smaller than I expected (and want). Even a one point increase would help. I have attached a screenshot so that you can see what it looks like on Macbook Air 13" screen. The link for the screenshot is  https://db.tt/Qa0zEPMu

Thoughts?

I agree, the font size for Tags is too small.  I really don't understand it.

Evernote continues to ignore readability issues, and continue to provide UI with low contrast text and very small text, which makes it very hard to read.

• Level 5*

The font size for tags is a lot smaller than I expected (and want). Even a one point increase would help. I have attached a screenshot so that you can see what it looks like on Macbook Air 13" screen. The link for the screenshot is  https://db.tt/Qa0zEPMu

Thoughts?

I agree, the font size for Tags is too small.  I really don't understand it.

Evernote continues to ignore readability issues, and continue to provide UI with low contrast text and very small text, which makes it very hard to read.

If you've seen the Yosemite beta, then you know this thinking is widespread. *sigh* I saw some of the same terrific disregard for readability and accessibility there, but, to be honest, a lot of Apple's stuff has been trending this way. I showed it to a colleague without mentioning my own opinion, and he immediately cringed. It's a statement, to be sure, but not one I agree with. I am hoping that if Evernote redesigns its app for Yosemite, it tries to avoid following some of these design cues.

Tried to install Beta 6 and it crashed on Finishing Installation, now it won't run!!! I will try the link again to see what happens before I create a ticket... Ahh....

I have reinstalled using the link as previously on Beta 5 I think it was it prompted automatically and failed installation.  I still do not see reliability for me now, it crashes on load, send error to EN and then it will load, so right now the App is running but who knows when I reboot.

Phil, found your recurring crash. Thanks for submitting the report! On it!

You might have seen one or few.. As of now it is allowing me to sign out of all accounts which as you know doesn't close the app.  Logging / Signing back in OK.  I will try close the App in full tomorrow morning and revert with updates.  Hopefully it has stabilised.

In every Beta of 5.6 I cannot or hardly search in PDF files. No text is found inside the PDF's which is key for my workflow.

If I log into my account on the web I can find all the texts in the PDF files. When will this feature be put back in the Mac desktop version? It should be there right, it is the key benefit of having Evernote.

Hope I will get a reply this time...

Hi,

I've noticed that the "Move note to" submenu (I think it was under "Note") is gone in beta6. I noticed because I had mapped keyboard shortcuts to some of those items to be able to do one-key moving of notes to common notebooks. Now I have to invoke "Move to notebook" and select the destination notebook, which is much less efficient. Would it be possible to bring back the "Move to" menu?

Hi all.

Long time Evernote user here but new to the world of software betas - so bear with me...

One thing I have noticed since upgrading from B5 -> B6 is that sometimes I am unable to nest one tag within another. I'll drag the Tag A but it will refuse to place it within Tag B. 

Hope that makes sense :S.

Liam

I noticed in this beta that the syncing is less frequent / automatic. In the previous 5 betas, new notes would sync immediately, making things like note links available. In this release I seem to have to manually sync.

Not sure if anyone else has experienced this - may be just me!

I just checked there on Mac and it is sync'ing as before, make a change (exp card view) and you can see the arrow on the note and wheel spins without intervention manually so it works for me.

• Level 5*

No, I'm seeing the same sync behaviour.

Same as drben or as before in Beta pre 6 and as expected? Mine works as expected automatically and whenever a change is made.

Same as drben - i was seeing the new behaviour up until this beta.

I have this beta release and I'm not sure if the issue I have is because of it, but here it goes anyway. (FYI, I already submitted a support ticket.)

My upload allowance was supposed to reset today and I confirmed that it has reset on the web version of Evernote, but my mac app did not. I've tried quitting EN and logging out a few times but the upload allowance still won't reset.  Since I've reached my upload limit yesterday, it won't allow me to add a new note unless I upgrade to an extra 1GB of upload allowance even though it says it won't reset again for another 30 days. 

Anyone else have this issue?

Ticket number: 692260

Phil, found your recurring crash. Thanks for submitting the report! On it!

You might have seen one or few.. As of now it is allowing me to sign out of all accounts which as you know doesn't close the app.  Logging / Signing back in OK.  I will try close the App in full tomorrow morning and revert with updates.  Hopefully it has stabilised.

Jack, in relation to the above, I have quit the APP several times today, it loads without issue...

• Level 5

We are back to syncing at regular intervals EXCEPT in the case of shared notes and in situations which require the service (like note links). We were not respecting the sync interval preference in earlier betas.

The sync error I reported now happens before syncing - so there's now no syncing at all possible.

Please PM me your Activity Log file

Archived