Evernote as a database replacement

I have used FileMaker Pro in the past to build things to track clients and communicate with customers. I understand the importance of a database type structure and it being searchable. Is this something I could also do in Evernote instead of using FileMaker Pro? I would need to track, contact info, payments, various levels of account data, graphics, logos etc. I would love to have this in a form or chart type of format within Evernote vs. a blank page. Is this possible or am I better off with something like FileMaker Pro? Also, should I worry about security as I will be potentially storing credit card numbers and things for each client and Evernote is web based? I love the thought of this being accessible on all my devices, and I have so much already done in Evernote — that’s why I’d like to stay with it if I could.

I would appreciate thoughts and advice. Thank you.

• Level 5*

I have used FileMaker Pro in the past to build things to track clients and communicate with customers. I understand the importance of a database type structure and it being searchable. Is this something I could also do in Evernote instead of using FileMaker Pro? I would need to track, contact info, payments, various levels of account data, graphics, logos etc. I would love to have this in a form or chart type of format within Evernote vs. a blank page. Is this possible or am I better off with something like FileMaker Pro? Also, should I worry about security as I will be potentially storing credit card numbers and things for each client and Evernote is web based? I love the thought of this being accessible on all my devices, and I have so much already done in Evernote — that’s why I’d like to stay with it if I could.

I would appreciate thoughts and advice. Thank you.

Hi. Evernote is far more user friendly than FileMaker Pro, ubiquitous, and probably less expensive to maintain over the long term. For regular folks, it is going to be a great solution. For your use case,  though, I would recommend FileMaker Pro.

(1) Security

Evernote has a few security features, but does store data unencrypted on the cloud (unless you encrypt text blocks yourself or encrypt files before uploading them). I have a few thoughts on security and mobile devices here. I don't mention FileMaker Pro, but I really should have.

http://www.christopher-mayo.com/?p=1605

(2) Relational databases

Evernote doesn't have them, and the data manipulation capabilities in its stock apps are almost non-existent. It is a great place to store certain types of information for certain purposes, but for what you described, it sounds a little insufficient. Perhaps a third-party integration for Evernote, though, would work for you.

http://appcenter.evernote.com

(3) Mobile

Filemaker Pro has excellent support for mobile devices with FileMaker Go and it has encryption. 

http://www.filemaker.com/products/filemaker-go/

Archived