Clearing 'Find' dialog box upon dismissal - Ctrl-F

Syncubus

I frequently use the [CTRL]F 'find' dialog in the reading panel of Evernote 5.5.3.  Once I find the text I want, I press ESCape to dismiss the 'find' dialog box.

When I subsequently press [CTRL]F to search for something else, my last query remains.  This is a pain, as I have to manually delete what's in the dialog box, rather than typing my query.  This behavior is different from almost all other Windows applications, so it isn't intuitive for most users.

Can we clear the dialog box after dismissing it?

• Level 5*

I frequently use the [CTRL]F 'find' dialog in the reading panel of Evernote 5.5.3.  Once I find the text I want, I press ESCape to dismiss the 'find' dialog box.

When I subsequently press [CTRL]F to search for something else, my last query remains.  This is a pain, as I have to manually delete what's in the dialog box, rather than typing my query.  This behavior is different from almost all other Windows applications, so it isn't intuitive for most users.

Can we clear the dialog box after dismissing it?

Isn't text in the Find box selected?   You should be able to just start typing new text which automatically replaces the text in the Find box.

• Level 5

Yes, this feature seems broken. It is frustrating.

Position cursor inside a note

Type Ctrl F

Enter search term

Press Escape

Type Ctrl F again

The field is already filled with the previous search term

And to make it just a bit more frustrating, the cursor is positioned at the beginning of the search term, so backspace won't work unless you jump to the end of the search term.

If you try to type in a new term, the previous term does not disappear

• Level 5*

Thanks for the clarification/confirmation JB.

The last time I used EN Win, the Find text was selected when CTRL-F was used again.

That is also the way it works now in EN Mac 5.5.2.

Once again, it looks like Evernote has made things worse in its updates.   :(

• Level 5*

Yes, this feature seems broken. It is frustrating.

Position cursor inside a note

Type Ctrl F

Enter search term

Press Escape

Type Ctrl F again

The field is already filled with the previous search term

And to make it just a bit more frustrating, the cursor is positioned at the beginning of the search term, so backspace won't work unless you jump to the end of the search term.

Workaround: type Ctrl+A (select all), and start typing the new term.

I note that the Chrome implementation of page search maintains the previous search term, but when you dismiss it via Esc, and press Ctrl-F again, the old term is presented pre-selected, which I think is nicer, and probably not too hard to implement (it's just a Windows message, if I recall correctly). Either way, it's nice to have the previous search term available to you.

• Level 5

The "Next" and "Previous" buttons (from Ctrl F) allow me to search through the note to find the correct location. Once I find the item, I seldom have a need to re-run the search for the same term again.

And more frustrating - if I use the Ctrl F later on in the day for a new search, the old search term reappears.

My work around: create short notes - usually no more than one page long. The Evernote general search field usually finds what I want, so I can avoid the Ctrl F feature.

• Level 5*

The "Next" and "Previous" buttons (from Ctrl F) allow me to search through the note to find the correct location. Once I find the item, I seldom have a need to re-run the search for the same term again.

You may not use it, but I find it handy. Jump to a match, do some editing (the search control disappears), jump to the next match.

And more frustrating - if I use the Ctrl F later on in the day for a new search, the old search term reappears.

Yes, that does seem to be what the topic is about. Evernote is retaining the last Ctrl-F search that you did, and offering it as an option again.

My work around: create short notes - usually no more than one page long. The Evernote general search field usually finds what I want, so I can avoid the Ctrl F feature.

Guess it's not that big a problem for you after all...

It might not be a "big problem", but it is a problem.

I agree.  It's not a "big problem" and there are obvious workarounds, but it is different from most "common dialogs", which is what users are habituated to/expecting.

Providing a consistent, intuitive interface should be a goal for good software development.  There's no reason to 'reinvent' common controls.  I appreciate that this may be a hurdle with cross-platform development, but it contributes greatly to the user's experience.

Archived