pdf editing within evernote

using a pdf in evernote on the ipad recently I was suprised to be able to edit it within evernote, without using skitch. I had options to highlight text, draw lines etc, edit photos and copy text, and even do audio recordings. It was like having Preview on the ipad. My edits have been saved within evernote and are still visible. No other app has been accessed at all.

BUT - now i cant get back into the same mode. I can open the pdf in skitch and my edits arent visible in skitch, although they are still visible without skitch.

This is presumably code that evernote is trialling - and it will completely remove my need for goodreader, iannotate etc. I dont use skitch - highlighting is too difficult and you cant copy text - so Id really like to know how to get into this mode on a regular basis. Anyone?

You are looking for conventional PDF text highlighting in Evernote, rather than they "drawing" sort of annotations currently offered? (keep in mind that when you annotate a PDF in evenote, you haven't done anything with Skitch, EN has just used a similar interface and tools for EN's native PDF editor).

As far as I know, and rather dismayingly, standard select and highlight annotations are not available. It's been this way for a good number of months now... Definitely since Evernote version 7.0 came out last fall.

I suspect this may change a bit for the better when Evernote and other PDF annotation app makers leverage the new technologies built into iOS 8 in the fall.

I was using EN in the standard EN app on an iOS air.

Usually, if you dont go into skitch, and you highlight text in a PDF, you see the options 'copy, search, define' and nothing else. In this brief interlude described above I had options for highlighting text, strikethrough, underline and copy. Once highlighted I could select the highlight and change its colour, opacity and add notes to the highlight. I could also had a sort of marquee tool for selecting images and could draw lines and other contextual buttons I didn't get a chance to explore. There was also the recording option mentioned above. There was also a stamp option - I presume it was a timestamp, but didn't use it. 

It's very frustrating. I have been shown Narnia behind the cupboard but now I can't get back there. Every time I open a pdf in evernote now I"ll be randomly prodding the screen in an attempt to get the options back. 

• Level 5*

I don't know of any way you could wander into an undocumented test area in Evernote - the app does what it does,  and any updates are going to stick around,  not just appear and then melt away..  If you find you have super powers again,  please let us know!

OK, but I'd really like to be able to invoke these editing tools again!

That is not currently possible. 

Things like this may change with the new features available to developers in iOS 8 which will be released this winter. If Evernote and other PDF application developers take advantage of these features in the new OS, you might be able to use some other applications PDF annotation tools within Evernote. Again, this depends upon the developers taking advantage of these new OS features. 

In the mean time, you have Evernote's annotation tools, or you can use the really clumsy workaround of opening a PDF in a more capable annotation application, then opening it back into Evernote, ultimately copying your file around several times (ugh).  

As a side note, I've posted elsewhere, and at length, about the limitations of the unique PDF annotation tools in Evernote, and why I keep the majority of my PDFs in a cloud storage solution like Dropbox and Box, and rely primarily on PDF Expert for annotations on my mobile device. I LOVE Evernote's PDF tools for some very small set of tasks I only do very periodically. 99% of my PDF work takes place in Preview on my Mac, or PDF Expert on my iPad.... all of the notes I take on those PDFs, however, live in Evernote :)

• 1 month later...

Archived