Installation Trouble

Emmers2012

Hi, 

I'm relatively new to Evernote and have had horrible trouble trying to install it on my Windows 7 32bit PC. I have downloaded it directly from the website as well as trying a few other sources and when I try to install it, after I agree to the User Agreement and the status bar appears, it just freezes and freezes my computer. I've been searching Google for a few days and haven't had any luck finding a solution since I have never installed Evernote before so I'm wondering if there's something I'm doing wrong or anything you know of to fix it?

Thanks so much!

• Level 5*

Hi - it shouldn't be a problem to install the software.  Is this a computer that you've had for a while now,  or is it a new machine?  Is it possible the hard drive is getting full?  I'd suggest you switch everything off and back on again.  Download the installer (again) from Evernote.com,  and retry the installation.  If you see any warnings or errors during the process,  try to write down as much of the content as you can.

Hi, thanks for the reply!

It's a machine I've had for about two years now and I did try downloading it from the EN site and reinstalling it. I did just check my hard drive is less than half full. I've turned off my machine multiple times now because that's the only way I've gotten it to function after the set up freezes.

• Level 5*

Hmmn - weird that you're having such an extreme reaction to the install.  Any other software or downloads running at the same time?  Are you connected to the internet while the install is going through?

• Level 5*

Now you're just being difficult.  ;)  Everything is perfect but it just won't install...

This could be a conflict with something else that's installed on your computer,  or maybe a previous installation gone wrong.

On the basis this is your own computer,  I suggest you backup your hard drive and install two free applications - Glary Utilities and Revo Uninstaller and use Glary to perform a 'one click clean'.  This will run several checks and delete unnecessary files and folders from your computer.  The default registry clean is fairly high level,  so leave the settings as they are and just let the software find any errors or problems.  Once that's done,  run Revo and check to see whether Evernote shows as installed.  If it does,  remove it.

Then try installing Evernote again.

Be aware though that using any registry cleaning software involves slight risk to your computer - read the menus carefully and keep a backup in case something goes wrong.

I suggest you also raise a support request - it's the weekend so nothing will be done until Monday anyway,  but just in case this is a long-running saga...

• Level 5*

There is a new beta version available. I decided that I wanted to do a clean install, so opted to uninstall the old version with Revo Uninstaller (Pro). It told me that there were remnants of an older version, in addition to the one I want to uninstall. It is possible that some of those remnants on your machine are preventing the installation of a new version. Suggest you try the Revo approach.

• Level 5*

As a follow-up, although with limited testing, this clean installation does seem to have improved the speed of processing, without the hanging that occurred sometimes. I also found a lot (26) versions of the installation package in the autoupdate folder. This shouldn't have made any difference, but I deleted them anyway. Maybe the installer is not doing a perfect job of clearing out the old stuff, and the occasional clean install is still necessary. BTW, I did back up my database before I did the uninstall, but the new version found the original database. No downtime to copy the database to the correct location needed!

Hi!

I'd just like  to thank everyone for their help and replies, it turns out there was an underlying problem with my registry that was throwing off my whole system, including Windows Installer which is where the Evernote installation just crapped out. After many frustrating days and much troubleshooting, I have fixed the problems! 

• Level 5*

Hi!

I'd just like  to thank everyone for their help and replies, it turns out there was an underlying problem with my registry that was throwing off my whole system, including Windows Installer which is where the Evernote installation just crapped out. After many frustrating days and much troubleshooting, I have fixed the problems! 

Regular maintenance on your computer (with appropriate back-ups) is always worthwhile! Congrats on getting the problem fixed!

Archived