Tags not in alphabetical order

Vulcanbomber

Evernote for Windows 5.5.3.4236

If I list the tags in the web interface they appear as follows (eg Correctly)

M-Classical

M-Easy Listening

M-Movie

M-Pop

In windows Evernote they appear as (eg Wrongly)

M-Classical

M-Easy Listening

M-Movie

Movie

M-Pop

The same thing happens with other tag labels

• Level 5*

Are these newly created tags? If I recall correctly, the Windows client has long had the quirk that tags don't get shown as alphabetized until you restart Evernote, or something like that. I know that there's been discussion about this; you might try a forum to find it.

• Level 5*

Optimising the database is not a cure-all for Evernote. I don't think I've ever done it, actually.

Actually, now that I think about it, this may just be a case of the way that Evernote sorts the tag list: they're ignoring the '-' character for purposes of sort order. In other words, they're sorting as if the tags were:

MMovie

Movie

MPop

This may seem counter-intuitive (though lots of things related to sorting text are counter-intuitive), but I believe that this is consistent with the way that Windows sorts file / directory names in Explorer. At lease when I made directories with the names "M-Movie", "Movie" and "M-Pop", they sorted in the same way that Evernote does.

• Level 5

Here is how I create sorted tags using a parent / child hierarchy.

movie

mov-classical

mov-easy-listening

mov-no-theme

mov-pop

The child tags are created by dragging them onto the parent tag.

The 3 character prefix keeps similar tags grouped together.

The Parent tag (movie) is just a place holder and does not have any notes. 

If I wanted to find all movies, I would search for tag:Mov-*

• Level 5

jbenson, OPs issue is not the creating of it's the getting them in the right sequence of...

Yup, I know. And I have hundreds of tags (last count was over 1,400).

So I understand his question very well. 

My method works for me and keeps my working tags in alphabetical order. 

As I explained the parent tag is just a place holder and has no notes.

All of my children level tags are in the right sequence.

• Level 5*

jbenson, OPs issue is not the creating of it's the getting them in the right sequence of...

All of my children level tags are in the right sequence.

Mine as well.  I just know sometimes when I add or modify a tag it just doesn't sort right until you exit EN and return.  Then the tag gets in line where it is supposed to be.

• Level 5*

Jeff,

Your first impulse is correct, I believe.  

Which first impulse? The Windows Explorer sort order thing, or the Shut down/restart Evernote thing? I'm leaning towards the Windows Explorer explanation currently. If I was feeling less lazy, I'd look up the Windows API for the string compare functions that I'd guess are being used. Of course, they could also be home-grown...

• Level 5*

Mine as well.  I just know sometimes when I add or modify a tag it just doesn't sort right until you exit EN and return.  Then the tag gets in line where it is supposed to be.

The restart thing is a known (or vaguely remembered) quirk in the Windows client. Vulcanbomber's issue is a different thing altogether, that I believe is related to sorting in the presence of '-' characters in the name. You can solve it by not mixing tags that include '-' with those that don't, as jbenson does, or live with it and hope that Evernote changes their mind if the behavior is intended (that Explorer uses it is some justification for this) or fixes it if the behavior was not intended.

• Level 5*

Jeff,

Your first impulse is correct, I believe.  

Which first impulse? The Windows Explorer sort order thing, or the Shut down/restart Evernote thing? I'm leaning towards the Windows Explorer explanation currently. If I was feeling less lazy, I'd look up the Windows API for the string compare functions that I'd guess are being used. Of course, they could also be home-grown...

I meant the start/restart EN to get them sorted.  Still happens every once in a while.  

But, you are right that Vulcanbomber's issue has to do with the "-" being dropped in the sort sequence.  Just did a test and M-Dummy sorted before Meetings.  

• Level 5*

Well it's not a function of Windows file system

I crated three files

M-Classical

Music

M-Pop

In Windows they appear as

M-Classical

M-pop

Music

Got around it by using Mother-child system in Tags

Yes, it apparently still is. Your counterexample actually does sort correctly if you leave out the '-':

MClassical

Mpop

Music

Archived