New UI - unusable for me! Has anyone found a workround?

JP Spoons

Idea

Hello all,

I hope I'm posting this in the right place. I've been using Evernote on a Kindle Fire for a while, and yesterday a new UI "arrived" - at least I don't recall being asked to install a new version. It's v5.9.1.

At first I thought "great", because the overall page looks much cleaner and the reminders at the top of each page look really good. However, on scrolling down to the non-remindered tasks, the changes are not so great...

I have three related problems with the new UI:

1. You can no longer choose between list view and snippet view - or if you can, I can't find it

2. The different sorts now seem to default to either list view or snippet view. I sort by notebooks all the time, and this produces a list view, with any tag details appearing halfway along the line and cropping the note title

3. The effect of these together is that I can now only see one or at best two words of the title for most of my notes.

This is useless for me, as it means that I have to open every note to know what it is. Has anyone else found this, and has anyone found a way around it?

BTW I use Evernote primarily for GTD and use TSW so not being able to quickly scan through all of my tasks renders it pointless as a productivity tool. I can't imagine that it doesn't impact negatively on other uses of Evernote as well though.

If it needs further clarification I'll try to get a screen grab from the Kindle but I'm hoping other people will have seen this on other devices.

Thanks, J.P.

6 replies to this idea

Yeah, got 5.9.1.

Ehm. So far...

1. list view is shown when you sort by  "recently updated" and "date created". List view is shown if you sort by "title" and "notebook". So, yes and no is the answer. You can choose, but it depends on how you sort your notes. Anyway, this may (and I certainly hope) change back to what it was. Big downgrade in terms of functionality if you ask me.

2. Same problem.

3. Same again.

Some other observations....

4. I can't select all the notes in a stack anymore. If I click on a stack, all it does is expand on the stack and show the notebooks. I used to be able to do both, but no more. Again, big downgrade in functionality, which I hope (assume?) is only temporarily. 

5. I used to be able to multiselect tags on the tablet version (though not the phone version). I.e. I select a tag, and when you return to the list of tags, it will only show those tags that are associated with the first tag so you can drill down. Not anymore. Again, downgrade.

6. None of the functionality that can be found on the ipad version (colour, business cards, etc.). Anyway, not expanding on that... I'm sure (?) this will come. 

What can be said is that it looks pretty. I do like the tablet landscape mode, where you can view notes and browse through notes simultaneously. Need more time with it, but so far this is what I found. All in all, in terms of functionality it has gone downhill. Big time. Shame.

• Level 5*

5. I used to be able to multiselect tags on the tablet version (though not the phone version). I.e. I select a tag, and when you return to the list of tags, it will only show those tags that are associated with the first tag so you can drill down. Not anymore. Again, downgrade.

If you long-press on a tag in the list, it will maintain it and produce a new list that has relevant tags to the first tag. Tap on a tag in the list; now you have two tags selected. Tap on "View Notes" to see the notes that have those tags. Tested on my phone and tablet. Version 5.9.2 beta.

If you long-press on a tag in the list, it will maintain it and produce a new list that has relevant tags to the first tag. Tap on a tag in the list; now you have two tags selected. Tap on "View Notes" to see the notes that have those tags. Tested on my phone and tablet. Version 5.9.2 beta.

Correct -seems I spoke a bit soon, without properly testing it. Or maybe it wasn't in 5.9.1.

Either way, glad the functionality is not removed. Have tested it and it does suffer from slowness on both my nexus 5 and 7 as it may take up to 5-7 seconds to load the second "batch" of associated tags. More delays occur when I further narrow it down (3, 4 or even 5 tags). Could be a result of me having approx. 400 tags and many of my 10,000+ notes having at least 5-10 tags each. Anyway, just glad the functionality is there I suppose. 

Archived