Evernote 5.5.3 update failure

Joe M

I was running Evernote 5.?.0 when the auto update showed 5.5.3 available and I elected to do the normal update install. Got a message that IE and Outlook needed to be closed during install. I closed them and gave the installer the go. It said it could not close them automatically (!) and continued. I then got MsiInstaller error event 11316 "Product: Evernote v. 5.5.3 -- Error 11316. A network error occurred while attempting to read from the file: C:\Users\Joe\AppData\Local\Temp\Evernote.msi" followed by a Setup Error pop-up with the message "(.\Bootstrapper.cpp915) 0x643 Fatal error during installation". "Program Files (x86)\Evernote\Evernote is empty.

I am running Win7 Home Premium 64 bit (current on hotfixes), Norton 360 (current). Outlook 2010, MSIE 11 (current), and Firefox 31

1) What went wrong?

2) How do I get the current Windows Evernote on without losing my data?

Thanks,

Joe

• Level 5*

Hi - I've had Evernote updates go sadly wrong from time to time;  I assume it depends on exactly what's open when the old version is being removed,  or if the install runs into any unexpected problems.  The first order of business is:  did the uninstall work?  Can you still start Evernote by clicking on a shortcut?  If so,  backup your database as a precaution,  use Revo Uninstaller Free to remove the app,  download the new version from Evernote.com and install.  Log in with your normal details and everything should be fine.

If Evernote won't start normally we can assume the uninstall worked.  Can you install the new version?  Download from Evernote.com and install.  Log in with your normal details and everything should be fine.

If you have a problem uninstalling,  try Glary Utilities' One Click system clean - also free for private use and then retry.

If none of the above applies,  please give us more details...

@gbarry In the interim do you suggest that I wait or follow @gazumped's suggestions and try to install the newer version of Evernote (Windows). The failed upgrade/update managed to remove all the old programs. I don't know what other files and registry entries are still around.

Thanks,

Joe M

Gaz's response is a good first step, and wouldn't hurt to try, since it may be a registry key or something left from the uninstaller. I'm personally unaware of Glary Utilities' tool, but since Gaz has used it that usually means it's moderately reputable :)

If it helps, here's the Windows error file entry

Version=1
EventType=PCA2
EventTime=130524068602637565
Consent=1
UploadTime=130524068603467648
ReportIdentifier=147c9665-22e6-11e4-bc1c-0002723defe8
Response.BucketTable=5
Response.type=4
Sig[0].Name=Problem Signature 01
Sig[0].Value=Evernote_5.5.3.4236.exe
Sig[1].Name=Problem Signature 02
Sig[1].Value=5.5.3.4236
Sig[2].Name=Problem Signature 03
Sig[2].Value=Evernote Installation Package
Sig[3].Name=Problem Signature 04
Sig[3].Value=Evernote®
Sig[4].Name=Problem Signature 05
Sig[4].Value=Evernote Corp., 305 Walnut Street, Redwood City, CA 94063
Sig[5].Name=Problem Signature 06
Sig[5].Value=1
Sig[6].Name=Problem Signature 07
Sig[6].Value=201
DynamicSig[1].Name=OS Version
DynamicSig[1].Value=6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.4
DynamicSig[2].Name=Locale ID
DynamicSig[2].Value=1033
State[0].Key=Transport.DoneStage1
State[0].Value=1
FriendlyEventName=Program compatibility problem
ConsentKey=PCA2
AppName=Evernote Installation Package
AppPath=C:\Users\sXXXXXXX\Downloads\Evernote_5.5.3.4236.exe
ReportDescription=This program might not have installed correctly

Windows recommends XP SP2 compatibility settings, ran as Admin, but this didn't work
  • Level 5*

Any progress on this?  Trying to install Eversoft as new user to 64-bit Win 7.  No data to save!  Fatal error 0x643 on install.  Can I at least get to an installer for the last working version?  I can't find one!

I'd suggest a support ticket (below) to work through exactly where you are now in terms of installation,  and how best to get back to a working version that includes your current notes database.

Thanks Gaz and @gbarry. I backed up the area of the disk where I guessed the data was stored and reran the installer. It seems to have worked. the program runs with my data. Not sure that there isn't some gremlin lurking somewhere, but otherwise fine.

I did not run any cleanup program.

Joe

• Level 5*

Evernote > Tools > Options > General will show you where the database is stored.  You may feel a little more secure if you copy the EXB file to another location as a backup!

Gaz, I searched for the database with Windows and backed up the whole AppData\LocaEvernote\Evernote folder. The "Evernote > Tools > Options" option was not an option until I got Evernote reinstalled. I did use it to verify that I had backed up the right area.

• Level 5*

Gaz, I searched for the database with Windows and backed up the whole AppData\LocaEvernote\Evernote folder. The "Evernote > Tools > Options" option was not an option until I got Evernote reinstalled. I did use it to verify that I had backed up the right area.

Yah - that last advice was for the new situation where things seem to be running again.

• 3 weeks later...

So much for submitting a ticket.  I suppose the free version simply isn't supported (which certainly raises my personal threshold for considering an upgrade).  I can understand the no support thing, but the three week wait time to hear of no support, only to be sent back to the forum that suggested I open a ticket in the first place, is certainly suboptimal

I did manage to work out a fix, for those unwilling to mess with their registry on their own.

1) Run the MS fixer for install issues

2) Reboot

3) Find and run the msi directly.

Finding and killing registry keys that this forum pointed me to did not work, and I'm not particularly big on installing third party system cleaning tools in managed environments, so that wasn't an option for me.  I was happy to find a microsoft tool to address the issue.

Evernote Support (Evernote Support)

Sep 02 11:50

Thank you for contacting Evernote customer support. We are unable to personally answer your inquiry. I'm closing this request today and encourage you to find the answer to your inquiry via a search on the Evernote Support page or with our active user community in theEvernote forums.

Archived