Pictures: Date taken and other camera info

lisec

Oh my. 

I've discovered an awful lot about relying on Evernote for a vacation. (I've written about all of the Android limitations I discovered)

Here's one more. Not sure if it is Android related or Windows related.

I took all my pictures directly with Evernote because the ability to write notes immediately under the pictures is just too fantastic.  My entire trip is sorted by date created, the pictures are in order, it is just wonderful.

So now I'm ready to save all my pictures onto my dedicated media hard drive, where I will merge my photos with my husband's photos. I normally open them with JRiver Media Centre, sort by date/time taken, rename the photos with that info and voila, a permanent record of the photos we took, in order.

Alas, I can't do that.

It never occurred to me that all that photo information would be lost when using the Evernote camera.

I selected all my trip photos within Evernote and used the "save attachments" to get them to their permanent home. My heart sank when I discovered that every single picture is dated today. You know how usually you have that camera information like when you actually take the picture and at what time?  None.

Unless someone knows of a trick to get the real date created info back, this is yet another warning to those who plan on relying on Evernote for their trip.  If you plan on keeping your photos in Evernote forever, you're good to go. But if you have a picture database somewhere else in your house and rely on date created to make sense of your chronology, DO NOT use the Evernote camera.

• Level 5*

OK - that seems good advice;  Evernote retains the created date and time of notes,  so if your pictures are individually saved to notes you could recover that detail.  Digital cameras record quite a lot of 'hidden' information when taking a picture - the date / time and camera settings - so if that's available from mobile device cameras (which is not guaranteed) maybe Evernote should record that extra data with the picture.  Something for the developers to look at,  anyway...

OK - that seems good advice;  Evernote retains the created date and time of notes,  so if your pictures are individually saved to notes you could recover that detail.  Digital cameras record quite a lot of 'hidden' information when taking a picture - the date / time and camera settings - so if that's available from mobile device cameras (which is not guaranteed) maybe Evernote should record that extra data with the picture.  Something for the developers to look at,  anyway...

Or perhaps retain the date of the note creation for attachments when they are saved elsewhere. Not sure if that is possible (telling Windows what the creation date is) but that could be an option.

• 4 months later...

I just discovered that even though the date and time that the note was "created" is saved, this doesn't seem to apply to notes that were created on android device while it is not connected to the internet.  I have a bunch of notes with photos in them that I was hoping would be aligned with their respective times of day but not so...

I would like to see all meta data from photos stored with the photo in Evernote.  GPS coordinates included.  

And while on the subject, I accidentally set the coordinates to my present location while viewing a note and couldn't figure out how to undo that change.  It didn't show up in the history for the note.  

Archived