Running Eratically

Sail DC

I've had Penultimate on my iPad Mini Retina since I purchased it in March.

It is generally a fantastic product, and has eliminated my use of notebooks completely.  I probably get more people coming up and asking me about it than any other thing I've ever had.  In fact, there are at least a half dozen senior Obama Administration officials (in various agencies) that are using Penultimate (or at least have tried it out) after seeing me use it in a meeting.  

It really is a game changer (for me at least) and something lots of people notice and immediately figure out.   

I don't have the penultimate bluetooth stylus, but have instead been using an Adoint Jot Pro which until recently has worked perfectly. 

In any case, over the last two weeks or so, it seems that its become more trouble than its worth.  I'm not sure what happened, but I've noticed that:

• It has a VERY difficult time recognizing that that the stylus is touching the screen,
  • Accurately recognizing and replicating on the screen my pen strokes (ie: I get partial letters, or no letters/lines showing up)
  • The wrist protetion seems to have disappeared and what used to work perfectly for me all of a sudden places unwanted marks all over the page
  • The auto movement of the page has sped up considerably (it actually is moving much faster than I write)
  • If I turn the auto movement off (I hit the anchor button), it becomes very difficult to use my two fingers to move around the page: that is it either only recognizes a single finger (and places a line on the page) or it will move to where I want it, but as soon as I lift my fingers off the screen with either jump back to where it had been, or jump back to a full page view instead of the zoomed in view).

I don't know if there was an app update recently.  It seems to me that perhaps there should be a way to re-calibrate the program and how you write with it, but I've not found any way to do that other than for people using the Penultimate branded bluetooth stylus (and I'm not paying $80 for a stylus).

Any thoughts or advice would be MUCH appreciated.  Thanks!

I can verify your performance issues exactly.  I am using the jot script with equal problems in addition to the Jot script constantly breaking connection while writing.  This of course causes ink under palm as soon as the jot script disconnects.  I thought all of the issues were related only to the JS but now I realize there is a combination of issues with both the Penultimate and the JS.  I have been in series of emails with Adonit and only be offered superficial remedies which do not work.  I bought the pair Penultimate and the JS specifically because I thought it would be the most compatible combination. Well......

It was helpful to read your post because while I can duplicate my JS disconnection issues on other note apps, I will not attempt further troubleshooting using Penultimate until the stability conditions are remedied.

ty

• 2 weeks later...

i have the same problem.

I´m Using Penultimate with the Jot Script Evernote edition in my Ipad Air with IOS 7.1.2

Problems are more frequently when the battery level in the Jot pen decrease.

best regards

PS: its really frustrating ... Paying a lot of money for one bad gadget..

Archived