Additional Evernote Support Information

EDIT: The moderators seem to have no objection to this post, so I hope it helps folks!

As there are a lot of new users on the forum these past few months since the closing of Springpad, I have taken it upon myself to provide some updated information regarding Evernote (EN) Customer/User Support.

ALSO, in reponse to comments by Grumpy Monkey (GM) and Gadzumped, two of our Moderators and resident Evernote experts, I have made some SUBSTANTIAL EDITS to my original post from early this morning. (The use of the term "expert" is purely mine and is *not* how they refer to themselves. Like all the other Moderators, Evagalists and several other power users, they are far too modest!

PLEASE NOTE: I am a Free User and am writing this post based on my own knowledge as gathered here on the Forum and by digging through the Evernote Knowledge Base. This is most definitely NOT an official post by, or on behalf of, Evernote.

Feel free to Evernote any part or all of this post to your own EN database.

Grumpy Monkey has confirmed that while support for free users does technically still exists, for reasons unknown to them, the response time for free users in the last few monthes has slowed way down, and in a few cases, proved to be non-existent, so...

POINTS TO NOTE REGARDING EVERNOTE (EN) SUPPORT - For BOTH Free and Premium Users:

➡ I don't know, nor do the moderators, what happened in the few cases when free user support issues were not resolved. Did they just slip through the cracks despite due diligence on Evernote's part, or were those Tickets closed because there was nothing more Support could do? It's all speculation at this point and not worth the rest of us stressing over it.

➡ HOWEVER, such cases drive home the point that the onus about resolving any issues you might be having with Evernote, is in *you, the user,* just as it is with any other software problem

▶Either way, please note that if you are a free user and need to contact them, it could take up to 10 - or more - *business days* before they can get to your case. (More on this further down.)

▶As I understand it, Premium users can expect to hear back within 24 to 48 hours. (More on this further down.)

OTHER BASIC SUPPORT POINTS TO NOTE:

1) This post is aimed primarily at Free and Premium Users, as I have exactly zero knowledge about anything to do with Business Users & Market Customers.

2) As with my original copy of this post, I'm writing this on my Android phone and have no access to RTF formatting functions like Bold, Underline, Italics or *proper* bullets (that line up nicely), hence my use of CAPS and keyboard native symbols like these - ➡▶* - for example. Sorry it's not prettier!

3) Evernote is open Monday to Friday from 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM, Pacific Time.

4) Please remember that with *anything* you post, including posts asking Moderators to flag you Support Ticket # with EN staff, to post it in the appropriate section of the Forum, which is under the main Evernote section, above Evernote Business and other EN products.

If your post is not device specific and you can't decide where it should go, the post it in the General Discussions Board (area).

▶ Include the name of your device in your Post Title. i.e. "Android: How do I....?" State it again in your post body. This tends to speed up the process of getting replies as all basic vital info is easily spotted by the readers.

➡ If you are a Premium (paid) User, take their hours into account and realize that depending on their current workload, if you try contacting them late on a Thursday or on a Friday, they may not be able to begin attending to your case until Monday or Tuesday the following week.

So give them a few *business days* and if you still hear no reponse by say, late Tuesday, then create a post here on the Forum (*not* in this thread) so one of the Moderators can flag it for you with EN Staff. In your post be sure to include:

➖ Your Support Ticket Number

➖ The date you submitted your Support Ticket, and if you can recall, the approximate time (the time where you are)

➖ Clarify that you are a Premium User

➖ State what Client you're using, i.e. Mac, Windows, Windows 8 (and Touch if applicable), Ipad, Android or IOS (Web version)

➖ State as clearly as you can what your problem(s) are, as well as what, if anything, you have tried to correct matters yourself

I've asked you to include all the information listed above in addition to the Support Ticket #, which the Mods will need to flag it with the EN Staff for you, in case someone here at the forums can help you faster and they will need such info to try. Plus the additional info may also prove useful to the EN Staff.

➡ If you are a Free User, you *do* still have the option of submitting a Support Ticket. But do *not* expect a swift reply/resolution. We free users are at the very back of the pack and as such, our Tickets are dealt with after any from paying customers & and as they have time.

The latest estimates I've seen around the Forum Boards lately, seems to range from 10 *business* days up to as long as a couple or few weeks.

If you have thoroughly searched the forum & the Evernote Knowledge Base (KB) - on the EN Website - and already posted on the Forum seeking help, but still feel you have to contact EN Support (or were advised to do so if Forum members were unable to assist you), you are certainly FREE & ENTITLED to do so! Just please remember it could take while...

If, after say 10 *business* days, you still have not heard back from EN Support, then post about it in the Forum and include ALL of the information as listed above for Premium Users.

* Except change the first bullet to clarify that you are a Free User.

▶ ALSO: If you somehow run into major problems that require fast and/or extensive help, there is the option to purchase a one month upgrade to Premium status for $5.00 USD.

NOW, ONTO ACTUALLY CONTACTING EN SUPPORT:

Below is a pinned Forum post written by GBarry, an Evernote Employee. If you are unfamiliar with accessing Evernote Support, please do take the time to read GBarry's post *in full.*

In his post, GBarry details:

➡ The "Best Practices" of submitting Support Query with Evernote, as well as what information you need to have at the ready when contacting them, and...

➡ At the post bottom, links to the company's main (first) Support Page on their website. Click on the provided link.

➡ Assuming you could *not* locate the assistance you require back at the Community User's Forum, or in the Evernote Knowledge Base (KB) that you just landed on, now scroll down the page until you reach the "Contact Us" section and Click on the provided link.

➡ The Contact Us Link will take you to a page with two options:

▶If you are a paid user, you can access both the Live Chat or Submit Ticket (email) option. Fill-in the required Fields, the click either the Submit Ticket or Chat Now button, as is appropriate.

▶If you are a free user, your only option is email. (You must also first fill-in all the required Fields.)

▶For both the Live Chat option (open *only* to paid users) and the Submit a Ticket option (which is the 1st step in initiating the Email Support option - and is available to *both* Free & Paid Users - the appropriate Window will pop up on your screen. (*After* you have filled out all the required fields and *then* clicked on either Live Chat or Submit Ticket.)

➡ For a Live Chat Window, just follow any prompts that may flash up until you get an actual EN Support Tech online with you.

➡ For a non-live chat Window that will pop up after clicking on the Submit Ticket option, fill in the Subject Line, then describe your question(s) or problem(s) as clearly and concisely as possible. Even though you probably already indicated what device your using when filling out the Required Fields to get this far, state it again in this message.

When satisfied with your message, click the Submit button. If your message went through - and it should - you should recieve an auto-reply email very shortly (to your regular email) acknowledging successful contact and assigning a Ticket # to your case. All other contact with EN Support will now take place via email.

Remember that your Ticket email and possibly any future emails from Evernote might be tagged as Spam by your email provider. So if you don't see the auto Ticket one within a 1/2 (depending on your internet speed), check your Junk/Spam folders before submitting a new Ticket request. Do the same for any follow-up messages you're expecting but don't see in your Inbox.

PLEASE NOTE:

➡ As of this writing on August 4th, 2014, the first page of the Knowledge Base is out of date and *incorrectly* states that Live Chat is still available to free users. It is not.

➡ There is no phone option for free or premium users.

➡ I don't know if Business Users or Market Customers have a phone option or not. In fact, I possess zero knowledge about anything regarding Business Users or Market Customers.

Link to GBarry's pinned post:

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/51807-best-practices-submitting-a-support-ticket/#entry254984/

OTHER LINKS YOU MAY FIND HELPFUL:

➡ If you haven't yet signed up for Evernote and came to checked out this Community User Forum, and somehow managed to land on my post, or....

➡ You are a current user but have had to reload the program (for whatever reason) and originally got it from a 3rd Party site (such as Google Play), it is recommended that you download whatever version you want/need, directly from the Evernote Company website. (This is true of ANY software. To help avoid technical and billing errors, always try to download new software - or new copies of it - directly from the company site.)

▶ If you are brand new to Evernote and have *not yet* signed-up with them, then click on the below link to see three options:

* Free * Premium *Business

▶ Choose the desired option and follow the steps as appropriate to all your devices, that come up.

FIRST TIME SIGN-UP & DOWNLOAD LINK:

http://evernote.com/sign-up/

▶ If you're a returning user and need to re-install Evernotes on any or all of your devices, then use the below link. Click on the Down Arrow beside the green bar on the left side of the screen that says "Evernote." Choose the appropriate download for your device.

http://evernote.com/download/

NOTE: If the Google Play Store pops-up when you click on the above link, back out of it and return to the Download page. (Not sure if that just keeps happening to me or others as well, but it is annoying.)

On a related and final note (phew!), let's now discuss the concept of a *clean* uninstall and REVO UNINSTALL SOFTWARE:

should you need to *re-install* Evernote due to technical problems, it is recommended you use the free version of Revi Uninstall (or the equivilent). But do not rely on your system's native uninstall software to get a *clean* uninstall of all the hidden program files, which can come back to haunt you later. This is particularly true of Windows. (Trust me on this one.)

http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html#download

The pro-version (which is on my personal hit list of *must have programs*) does even more than the free version and you can find a features comparison on the above linked site.

THIS blurb is directly copied from their website:

"Purchase of a License includes free lifetime technical supportand free updates , till the next major version! Also, after your purchase you get special discounts for major upgrades and other products!"

REVO PRICES:

1 Computer - $39.25 USD

3 Computers (no option for just 2 listed) - $58.86 USD

5 Computers - $98.10 USD

And done!

• Level 5*

Hi. Great advice! Thanks for helping everyone out with this.

I am afraid the (non-employee) moderators do not know the current support policies either. It does appear that Free users can submit support tickets using the online form (no one has email support, at least on the initial contact). This suggests that there might be some kind of support possible. However, I do not know if / when they will actually receive it. Anecdotal evidence from the forums suggests that the queue is long, if it is even being dealt with at all, so I recommend Free users try and post their problems here as well so that other users can offer advice. 

As GM said, we moderators (some have the label "evangelist" but not all), have no more information than you do.  I do know from the postings on this board and from my own personal experience (b/c I submitted a support ticket from one of my free accounts) that EN's support for free users currently seems to be non-existant, unless you submit a ticket, get the ticket number, wait a few days & then post your ticket number here so a mod can esclate it & then someone from EN can (hopefully soon) get someone to address it.  (Note: submitting a ticket & then posting your ticket number here immediately or on the same day will not help...so please do not do this.)  IOW, the current state of affairs is that free users should not expect a timely reply.  I (and some other mods) have pointed this out to EN staff at least a few times.  I'm sure they are aware of this.  Until recent months, Evernote support was excellent, even for free users.  I don't know what else to say other than...sorry...

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you for your comprehensive post Wordsgood! I think you highlight some of the major things that users should keep in mind seeking support currently. I especially want to draw everyone's attention to Wordsgood's point about posting all relevant information about your computing environment when submitting a post to the forum. We fellow users can help a lot faster if we know how many systems of what type you are working on, and how. Since brand new forum users are limited to 5 posts on their first day (to prevent spammers from FLOODING the community), save yourself your posts and just put all of this info in your FIRST post!

Good posts from all the people above. One thing that baffles me a bit is, if there is so much demand for support, why does management not dedicate more resources to it? I know full well that resources cost money, but, on the other hand, not putting sufficient resources can have a greater detrimental effect in the long run.

I don't pretend to want to tell Phil Evernote their business, but surely somewhere someone in that world of theirs must be able to do something about this situation.

• Level 5*

My guess is that Evernote is struggling with the business model behind providing support for free users.  A significant percentage of the user base is free and the cost to provide support for those users must be quite high.  I wouldn't at all be surprised to see either support officially dropped for free users, or at least changed.

• Level 5*

Perhaps some sort of self service model based upon a Pareto of the requests, or better yet, make the requests go away.  Always nice to remove the work if you can.

My guess is that Evernote is struggling with the business model behind providing support for free users.  A significant percentage of the user base is free and the cost to provide support for those users must be quite high.  I wouldn't at all be surprised to see either support officially dropped for free users, or at least changed.

That's fine, if that's their choice.  However, the reality is that the ticketing system currently allows free users to submit a ticket...that most likely is never answered.  I know this for a fact b/c I and another moderator have both submitted support tickets from free accounts.  This has been over a month ago.  Neither of us have received a reply.  Also, please note the increase of ticket numbers posted on the board so mods can flag them b/c they have not received a reply.  So if they are going to drop support for free users, say it & don't let free users generate ticket numbers so that they are under the impression they will get a reply.

• Level 5*

I completely agree.  Whatever they decide they should be completely open about it and properly communicate the change and not just let support for free users die on the vine which seems to be currently happening.

We all know & agree as to what should happen but nobody seems to have the influence to get something done. Is it not possible that a group of Evangelists make an appeal with 1 voice to management? I know Evangelists individual voices don't count for much more than the regular users, but then again, Evangelists are "more equal" than the regulars otherwise they would not have been designated as such.

in my opinion the Evangelists as a group must be able to get something done, perhaps backed up by electronic signatures collected from the user base.

• Level 5*

We all know & agree as to what should happen but nobody seems to have the influence to get something done. Is it not possible that a group of Evangelists make an appeal with 1 voice to management? I know Evangelists individual voices don't count for much more than the regular users, but then again, Evangelists are "more equal" than the regulars otherwise they would not have been designated as such.

in my opinion the Evangelists as a group must be able to get something done, perhaps backed up by electronic signatures collected from the user base.

Thanks for the suggestion. We have "made an appeal with 1 voice" and, while I've found the employees to be transparent and forthcoming on things of this nature in the past, they have not responded yet, so it would appear that whatever the situation is (we do not have any inside knowledge), they need a little while longer before they are ready to say anything.

I don't think we as Evangelists are more equal than any other users, though. Evernote provides us with an opportunity to contribute here as moderators, but, beyond that, I do not think we have any special influence. If I did, some of my brilliant suggestions would have been implemented -- I won't bore everyone by listing them all here (they are in various places on the forums and I am sure (tongue in cheek) every Evernote employee has a special notebook or tag for my pearls of wisdom).

But, some of the ones relevant to this conversation would be a request for 365/24/7 customers service for everyone, detailed documentation (manuals and the like), and a public bug-tracking system of some kind (even just regular posts of major bugs / issues / idiosyncratic behaviors). Yeah, I know some of these might sound impossible, but they would be implemented in my ideal world. 

The Evernote employees I have interacted with (online and in person) have all struck me as enthusiastic, dedicated, and knowledgable, so I think that they want to give us the best user experience possible. However, somewhere between the intentions and the reality things are getting a little muddled. Hopefully, we can get this all straightened out sooner rather than later.

Thanks for the suggestion. We have "made an appeal with 1 voice" and, while I've found the employees to be transparent and forthcoming on things of this nature in the past, they have not responded yet, so it would appear that whatever the situation is (we do not have any inside knowledge), they need a little while longer before they are ready to say anything.

I don't think we as Evangelists are more equal than any other users, though. Evernote provides us with an opportunity to contribute here as moderators, but, beyond that, I do not think we have any special influence. If I did, some of my brilliant suggestions would have been implemented -- I won't bore everyone by listing them all here (they are in various places on the forums and I am sure (tongue in cheek) every Evernote employee has a special notebook or tag for my pearls of wisdom).

But, some of the ones relevant to this conversation would be a request for 365/24/7 customers service for everyone, detailed documentation (manuals and the like), and a public bug-tracking system of some kind (even just regular posts of major bugs / issues / idiosyncratic behaviors). Yeah, I know some of these might sound impossible, but they would be implemented in my ideal world. 

The Evernote employees I have interacted with (online and in person) have all struck me as enthusiastic, dedicated, and knowledgable, so I think that they want to give us the best user experience possible. However, somewhere between the intentions and the reality things are getting a little muddled. Hopefully, we can get this all straightened out sooner rather than later.

Your focus is on the employees, and although I agree totally with your positive comments about them, they are just the soldiers carrying out orders from the generals, which in business parlance is called the management.

Management have to be made aware & persuaded of the necessity to do something about the way things are organised at their end. If support for the free users is the problem, then they have to tackle it head on. But like I said, we all know & agree what needs to be done.

I don't have the answers, but somehow attention needs to be drawn to users' plights. That's why I suggested perhaps a campaign of collecting signatures subscribing to a statement, like in a referendum.

Yes, I can assure you that we Evangelists have, on a number of occasions over the last couple of months, raised our concerns in as unified a fashion as we can, regarding the ongoing support strangeness. We've received no real information in return, and whatever changes are occurring seem to relate to cogs and wheels well above anything any group of users could likely influence.

Your focus is on the employees, and although I agree totally with your positive comments about them, they are just the soldiers carrying out orders from the generals, which in business parlance is called the management.

Management have to be made aware & persuaded of the necessity to do something about the way things are organised at their end. If support for the free users is the problem, then they have to tackle it head on. But like I said, we all know & agree what needs to be done.

I don't have the answers, but somehow attention needs to be drawn to users' plights. That's why I suggested perhaps a campaign of collecting signatures subscribing to a statement, like in a referendum.

While I wish I could say "rock on", I do no think such a petition or outcry would be terribly effective. I suspect whoever it is that has made these decisions has their own logic to support them. They ultimately have a lot more information than we do, and without that additional information we are simply not in a position to assess the soundness of the decisions being made.... we don't even know what these decisions are and what the desired outcome is, we just a few signs that things are in the process of changing. 

What I think is frustrating for the majority of the members of this online community is that there are all of these inexplicable and hazy changes going on but we all have absolutely no way of making sense of them or understanding the rationale behind those changes, which could be, well, perfectly rational... But we have no way of knowing or understanding currently, and that is rather vexing. It ultimately puts us all in a position of just sitting around and waiting while these changes occur around us until there's some indication of why they are happening (such as an official announcement). 

I'm still counting on some official announcement in the near future to shed light on what is going on... some may call me a dreamer....

You are assuming management is unaware & would make changes, if they were aware.  For all we know, the changes are coming down from management.  As GM & Scott have said, evangelists have little (if any) more cred than any other users.  And as we have also said (including me, if you read post #3), we have confronted Evernote directly on several fronts.  Our pleas have gone largely unanswered.  We have done all we can do.

FYI, GBarry, an Evernote employee has indeed confirmed that there is some kind of "transition" occurring:

Thanks for the feedback--we are working on fixing this, though it is happening in a staged manner and may cause some dissonance while we transition. We're doing our best to filter and handle as many free user issues as we can, but in some cases users will end up receiving the message you received. Removing the support expectation for free users and also ensuring you have strong resources available to you here in the forums (and KB) are top priorities.

Though not entirely clear, I gather from this that there is some major restructuring of the support system. What we are seeing are some hurdles or "dissonance" while they transition to whatever they are transitioning to (seems to me from this post to be premium-only support). 

So... I suppose we wait out the turbulence, and I suppose try to discourage free users in our community from submitting support tickets. 

• Level 5*

GM,

Great ideas, hopefully not impossible.  Transparency is an overused word these days, but a visible error tracking system could help clear some things up.  A bit of risk for a company to have their laundry that out in the open, but it's not like the EN user community is looking to hang anyone.  Most seem to want to help and understand.  The silence doesn't help the process. 

As far as I am concerned the situation is crystal clear, as transpires through the various Evangelist answers.

Evernote management are aware of the situation & are planning or already doing something about it. They have stopped short of making an official announcement, for reasons only known to them.

Conclusion: there is no need to keep moaning about this because we cannot influence decision-making any further. Any newbie who posts a complaint about poor support can be answered very succinctly: change will be/ is on the way, just sit tight & keep your fingers crossed.

In fact, as long as they don't make an announcement people will understand that as: take it or leave it. But the outlook for Free users does not look too good, as the end of this post (https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/65412-why-is-en-tech-support-so-bad-and-what-can-i-do-about-it/#entry296614) show.

Let's hope not too many people vote with their feet.

FYI, GBarry, an Evernote employee has indeed confirmed that there is some kind of "transition" occurring:

Thanks for the feedback--we are working on fixing this, though it is happening in a staged manner and may cause some dissonance while we transition. We're doing our best to filter and handle as many free user issues as we can, but in some cases users will end up receiving the message you received. Removing the support expectation for free users and also ensuring you have strong resources available to you here in the forums (and KB) are top priorities.

Though not entirely clear, I gather from this that there is some major restructuring of the support system. What we are seeing are some hurdles or "dissonance" while they transition to whatever they are transitioning to (seems to me from this post to be premium-only support). 

So... I suppose we wait out the turbulence, and I suppose try to discourage free users in our community from submitting support tickets. 

Some clarification to my previous post from that other thread: we are doing our best to handle as many free user issues as we can. Going forward, we are focusing on self-support for free users. I want to be clear that throughout this process we are monitoring all changes. We will adjust accordingly based on the resources we have available. 

In the future, this is what support free users should be able to expect: 

* Continually improving Community, guide, and self-help (knowledge base) resources
* Support from our agents for login/account access issues
* Support from our agents for payment issues
* Ability to report bugs to our developers (although we will only reply if more information is needed to identify the bug)

Some clarification to my previous post from that other thread: we are doing our best to handle as many free user issues as we can. Going forward, we are focusing on self-support for free users. I want to be clear that throughout this process we are monitoring all changes. We will adjust accordingly based on the resources we have available. 

* Continually improving Community, guide, and self-help (knowledge base) resources

* Ability to report bugs to our developers (although we will only reply if more information is needed to identify the bug)

Thanks, gbarry, for clarifying! Whether people like the changes or not, knowing what's going on is very helpful for everyone.

Excellent post !!! People know what to expect now & do not need to keep moaning. It would be good to have this made part of the standard info on the website.

Gbarry, I know you & perhaps 1 or more colleagues follow the General Discussion forum, but it might be good to involve 3-4 of the evangelists in discussions as to which issues  should have priority. One of the frustrations of users is that they are not sure that Evernote is aware of what is a "burning" issue. If Evernote were to engage some Evangelists they could moderate the discussions more effectively. This would also be to Evernote's benefit because people would feel not "abandoned" & be less inclined to walk for the wrong reasons.

Archived