REQUEST: Easy scroll to bottom of note

Ed Catmull

Idea

When I keep logs on Evernote and view them on my iPhone, I have to scroll to the bottom to make an addition.  Scrolling to the bottom every time is a real time waster.  My ask is for some simple way to be able to quickly move to the bottom of the note so that I can add to it.

• Like 6

58 replies to this idea

On 3/31/2016 at 9:41 AM, visualist said:

I agree, this feature would be extremely useful for me for laptop, desktop, and phone, Android in my case. This is especially true for the phone use-case. I tend toward journal-like writing in a top-down manner. To make matters worse, I often sync between more than one device (e.g., working on both laptop & desktop back and forth)—a sync on the "receiving end" auto-scrolls back to the top. So, for long notes, I'm forever scrolling and scrolling down to the bottom. I accept that bottom-up notes would "fix" this for me, but that creates a new problem—bottom-up does not work for me. How would you write a chapter of a book? Bottom-up is very clumsy for this style of work, if not impossible. A general purpose tool like Evernote should not force a certain practice, rather offer flexibility for everyone to work in the manner they prefer.

Please, Evernote, consider adding this feature. For the laptop and desktop case, a key shortcut would be perfect. For the smartphone, obviously something else—I suggest to include this item to the menu available at the top-right (icon is three dots vertically positioned), at least this is how I see it on Android; I'm assuming it looks similar on iOS.

Otherwise, I love Evernote. It's a great tool that I use almost every hour of every day.

I very much agree. If one is a professional writer* or researcher; or a student (from high-school age to PhD candidate) who spends hours writing essays & reports; or a business person who writes business plans and proposals; or or any individual who keeps a journal, they each want something that can be written in the standard format & instantly & easily be printed for review (even if they'll eventually transfer the text to other software to reformat it for distribution).

I, too, use Evernote every day and love it--except for the mandatory cursor at the top. Granted, I do use it that way too, but some of my most important and frequently used notes require me to scroll to the bottom. Using tips from other users, just today I put text at the bottom of a key note that I can search for with "Control+F" to search and jump there. (I suggest using something like "zzz", or any other term you're unlikely to otherwise ever need to search for.) This workaround for this note and others will keep me assuaged for now.

All this to say, is that I'd ADORE having a toggle button where I could choose where the cursor starts in a particular note. It'd be nice if it could be in a default state, but allow the user to alter for individual notes as needed. 

P.S. I'm guessing that Evernote encourages most folks to put new entries at top because it probably improves syncing speeds. Therefore, our ardent suggestions to allow "bottom feeding" is probably a pickle for them. I also wonder if Evernote might perceive their product to primarily only be for (brief but copious) note collecting, and fully expect users to use other software programs to pull their writing together. Sometimes you just can't be everything! 

Thanks for listening! I'll keep my fingers crossed! 

*Examples: journalist, speechwriter, policy analyst, author, public relations staff, marketing staff, screenplay writer, copy writer, corporate writer, technical writer, marketing professional, historian, novelist, poets.

--------------------------------

UPDATE on May 30, 2016. I'm embarrassed to say that I didn't realize (but should have) that a standard Windows command works within Evernote! That is, if you click within the note and select both the Control and the END key, then the cursor hops to the end of at particular note. Of course, this won't work on the iPhone, and thus, it would still be nice to have a toolbar option to hop to the end of a long note.

• Like 3

I always add the latest logs to the top of a note...

Very same here for my large notes that need to be updated on a regular basis.

@Catmull: I think this should be made possible by Apple generally in iOS, but it appears there is no way to do that. Up-down-uuuup in one single finger movement would seem pretty natural if you ask me. As for now: there is no way to do it in Evernote and standard iOS apps by my knowledge.

I always add the latest logs to the top of a note...

I started by adding to the bottom of a note, then discovered the issue with the app and instead now add to the top. It has benefits inasmuch as the start of the last note is the first thing you see in snippets and when opening the note.

However, I then received an email relevant to an existing note. Naturally, I forwarded this to my Evernote account and then merged the two notes - of course, the email is at the bottom. If I were adding to my logs at the bottom of notes, this would be just fine.

Further, adding to notes at the bottom also makes later reading easier. Consider keeping a journal in a single note: would it make good (or even easy) reading if the entries were in reverse order?

So Evernote, please, either position the cursor at the end of the note when editing, or give us a quick way to jump there.

• Like 3

Definitely prefer bottom up.

Running my business with some 20,000 Notes, I find it works simply and intuitively .

So Evernote, keep it as it is please.

Best regards

Chris

Running my business with some 20,000 Notes, I find it works simply and intuitively .

Best regards

Chris

The point is, scrolling from the bottom to the top on a device is simple (e.g. on iPhone, just tap the bar at the top of the screen), not so the other way around.

Therefore, positioning the cursor at the end of the note makes it easy for the user, whichever s/he prefers.

• Like 4

After reading this discussion, I decided to add a keyword at the bottom of my log file. When I open that file I tab search and enter the key word. I agree that there should be a quick way to bottom. It should be in settings, so there is a choice for those who want it, and those who don't. This is really pretty basic. I can't believe that Evernote has not already addresssed this.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
On August 4, 2015 at 9:15 AM, JanineB said:

Please please please Evernote, add a 'jump to bottom of note' keyboard shortcut...

•  

Is this still an IOS request?  Most of us aren't using external keyboards and can't make use of shortcuts.

I would be concerned with the UI getting cluttered for something with a small use requirement.  I understand the log files, but generally Evernote works better with a series of short notes. Do you think there are enough users to justify this?

• Like 1
On November 17, 2014 at 5:04 PM, C6REW said:

Best regards

Chris

I support the concept of some way to scroll quickly to the bottom, this would serve everyone's needs. Even if it was a "slider" on the side like Adobe or other applications that use pages vice continuous text, where you can hold your finger on the slider and get a small preview of the screen as you 'slide' down to the pertinent part of the note you wish to access. 

It's  win-win for those of you that are 'bottoms-up' and those of us 'top-down'

• Like 2

I agree, this feature would be extremely useful for me for laptop, desktop, and phone, Android in my case. This is especially true for the phone use-case. I tend toward journal-like writing in a top-down manner. To make matters worse, I often sync between more than one device (e.g., working on both laptop & desktop back and forth)—a sync on the "receiving end" auto-scrolls back to the top. So, for long notes, I'm forever scrolling and scrolling down to the bottom. I accept that bottom-up notes would "fix" this for me, but that creates a new problem—bottom-up does not work for me. How would you write a chapter of a book? Bottom-up is very clumsy for this style of work, if not impossible. A general purpose tool like Evernote should not force a certain practice, rather offer flexibility for everyone to work in the manner they prefer.

Please, Evernote, consider adding this feature. For the laptop and desktop case, a key shortcut would be perfect. For the smartphone, obviously something else—I suggest to include this item to the menu available at the top-right (icon is three dots vertically positioned), at least this is how I see it on Android; I'm assuming it looks similar on iOS.

Otherwise, I love Evernote. It's a great tool that I use almost every hour of every day.

• Like 2

I agree with the consensus that Evernote needs to add the flexibility for whatever style the user wants or needs. It would seem that the very simple menu bar at the top could include Home and End icons for quick navigation, or that a rapid scroll bar could be added on the right similar to Contacts, but using % of file (0-100) rather than A-Z.

• Like 2

I too would like a way to jump to the end of the note. It seems like a simple but very useful thing to add. Great idea about going bottom up, but I'm not going to redo some very large notes/logs I'm already using. That would be a larger pain.

• Like 1

Like others I do a lot of writing and therefore cannot do bottom up.  Very tedious to have to scroll (especially when moving back and forth between notes!).

Please add quick way to get to bottom, or even better a preference to always go to bottom (I am a Mac and iOS user)

Thanks!!

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Rona said:

Like others I do a lot of writing and therefore cannot do bottom up.  Very tedious to have to scroll (especially when moving back and forth between notes!).

Please add quick way to get to bottom, or even better a preference to always go to bottom (I am a Mac and iOS user)

Thanks!!

My workaround is to put [END] after a couple of blank lines at the foot of most notes. Then, if I need to add to them on the phone etc, I can search for [ to quickly go to the end. You could use other rarely-used punctuation (combinations), as works for you. (This idea has been mentioned by others, above.)

Come on, Evernote - put an end to "making do"!

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
11 minutes ago, Ed Catmull said:

All of this is outstanding. Now, does anybody know if someone at Evernote even reads the comments?  

My understanding is they do read the comments and take note of the user vote count

They issue software upgrades often, and address to address high priority items

• Like 1
6 hours ago, ColinT said:

My trick of using [END] (or similar) IS and iOS trick - see the OP. On a Mac, just use cmd+down arrow, as Rona stated.

Sorry Colin, I missed that. 

I would like to see Evernote and Apple incorporate 3D Touch to provide a "scrolling feature or menu" and based on how far you move your finger from your "peek" press, determines how fast it scrolls. 

More it brings up a menu like (can't believe I'm saying this) Balackberry, where they have a "jump to top/ jump to bottom" menu item. I'm sure apple and Android can develop something much better. 

• Like 1

I think it should just be an option in the settings for the desktop app and mobile apps. The user just sets a preference. I found this thread because I'm also a top down note taker and even though I do use many notes, some of them end up getting long as I take daily notes on a particular piece of a project. It's really annoying have to scroll all the way down after a resync to get drawings I did on my iPad Pro to show up in the Desktop app. First world problems, but it seems like it'd be a very simple fix for the developers. 

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
18 hours ago, jmason86 said:

it seems like it'd be a very simple fix for the developers

Hi.  And congratulations,  you are the first person to use the 'simple fix' cliché today...  the problem being that while it may be simple (no idea),  the other thousands of simple (and much less) simple fixes that have already been demanded by users have been scheduled into a 2+ year work calendar.  Which one should this replace?

Not saying it's not a validly good idea - just that Evernote will have to evaluate it and add it to a l-o-n-g list of other works.  Change may come - no telling when.

• Like 2
18 hours ago, gazumped said:

Hi.  And congratulations,  you are the first person to use the 'simple fix' cliché today...  the problem being that while it may be simple (no idea),  the other thousands of simple (and much less) simple fixes that have already been demanded by users have been scheduled into a 2+ year work calendar.  Which one should this replace?

Not saying it's not a validly good idea - just that Evernote will have to evaluate it and add it to a l-o-n-g list of other works.  Change may come - no telling when.

A little bit harsh, Gazumped, especially to a newbie's first post - and he's making a valid point.

Otherwise a great explanation, which helps us understand why it's still awaited.

• Like 2

As the originator of this thread, and as someone who is over a software group, I do agree that the software group has a very long list of requests.  Of course they have to be sorted by some criteria, such as show stoppers, bugs, impact on users, and ease of implementation.  For this software, I wouldn't know the difficulty of making any changes.  I do understand that the devopers read these posts, appreciate the feedback since it means people care about the product, and then have to make some judgement call. So, in that spirt, I have a continued annoyance, which I have learned to live with, but still an annoyance.  The only thing that can move it up the list, is more people reporting that an option to go quickly to the end of the document would be greatly appreciated.

-Ed Catmull

• Like 1
On 9/30/2016 at 11:05 AM, gazumped said:

That's why I said it "seems" like it would be a simple fix rather than stating that I knew it would be, but as a developer myself I do have some idea of the complexity. I also didn't say it was urgent. I've since flipped all my notes around so that more recent stuff comes first, following the solution proposed by many people here. The (minor) annoyance now is that in the web app, when you drag in a photo it always goes to the bottom of the note. That's not a problem on the native apps fortunately. 

• Like 1

Different versions of this solution have already been suggested, but I'll add my approach.  I put the word "endofnote" at the end of all my longer notes.  Then I can just search for that word, and it will go right to it.  I've seen other suggestions like putting the word "end", at the end of the note, but if you have that word in the body of your text, you'll have to skip through several of those before you get to the actual end of the note.  Putting "endofnote" guarantees it will go right to the end.

2 hours ago, Timbo813 said:

Different versions of this solution have already been suggested, but I'll add my approach.  I put the word "endofnote" at the end of all my longer notes.  Then I can just search for that word, and it will go right to it.  I've seen other suggestions like putting the word "end", at the end of the note, but if you have that word in the body of your text, you'll have to skip through several of those before you get to the actual end of the note.  Putting "endofnote" guarantees it will go right to the end.

Perhaps my tip was unclear: to use [END] including the square bracket, to avoid the search finding words like friend, commend, or even end!

"endofnote" would work equally well, if autocorrect doesn't keep jumping in to add the spaces! I guess "end of note" is also relatively unusual text, yet both are significantly more to type, just to reach the end of the note.

Come on, Evernote, please: either a button or a default position at the end of the note!

• Like 1

There are many good and free apps now with capabilities to compete with EverNote, that are focusing on what the biggest are leaving out, and this small thing with EverNote is surely one of them.

Why can't EverNote just add this feature??? its SOOOOO simple!, WhatsApp for instance, already did this, and its much more complicated because even with a 20 or more people inside a chat, typing everyone their messages and interacting, the app gives you an arrow down to scroll till bottom in a real time-interacting and ever populating and growing chat.

There is so much many small things I would add to EverNote to make it the only app for everything (Individual reminders for To-Do inside a note.... not just a reminder for a complete note..... snooze.... , for instance....)

DEFINITIVELY, this scroll to bottom request is a MUST.

• Level 5*
16 minutes ago, Meridius13 said:

Why can't EverNote just add this feature???

You're imagining a roomful of developers sitting around,  watching TV,  thinking "I wish I had something to do..." ?

Evernote has 200MILLION users - about the same as the population of Japan.  They're running on 5 separate operating systems,  plus multiple variations of same.  And all the OS's,  browser techs and device manufacturers are bring out new variations on their standard product on their own individual timescales,  and Evernote has to check that it will still work after the next update.

There ain't no such thing as a simple add.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
On 12/2/2016 at 9:47 AM, ColinT said:

Perhaps my tip was unclear: to use [END] including the square bracket, to avoid the search finding words like friend, commend, or even end!

May not be of any importance, but if one ever wants to find all notes with [END] in them I would recommend _END since square bracket is not searchable.  FWIW.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, csihilling said:

May not be of any importance, but if one ever wants to find all notes with [END] in them I would recommend _END since square bracket is not searchable.  FWIW.

???

Open the note, Search in Note, tap the square bracket: goes straight to it! _END works equally well.

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, csihilling said:

May not be of any importance, but if one ever wants to find all notes with [END]

36 minutes ago, ColinT said:

???

Open the note, Search in Note, tap the square bracket: goes straight to it! _END works equally well.

[ is searchable in the note, but not in the search bar.

On 2/25/2017 at 0:52 PM, gazumped said:

You're imagining a roomful of developers sitting around,  watching TV,  thinking "I wish I had something to do..." ?

Evernote has 200MILLION users - about the same as the population of Japan.  They're running on 5 separate operating systems,  plus multiple variations of same.  And all the OS's,  browser techs and device manufacturers are bring out new variations on their standard product on their own individual timescales,  and Evernote has to check that it will still work after the next update.

There ain't no such thing as a simple add.

hahaha

I kind of imagine a room like that one you describe. I believe it that such a room, should be a must have in a company as big as EverNote.

I've worked in systems and I know what you are talking about.... I know there is not a "simple add".... nevertheless.... 

... Exactly this kind of complications is what big companies can't fix quickly and thus, they give space for dynamic young small companies that can do that movements relatively easy.... 

If I was EverNote, I would have such a team of developers in a room just thinking and gathering ideas from all this discussions.... and do something about it in a developer ambient.....  

It can be done..... I am sure about that, don't you?

* FIX Mobile - as an aspirin fix, I now take all my on the go notes on paper or in voice recorder in EverNote.... and that way it goes pasted at the bottom, as it should..... 

* FIX Desktop - at the deskTop, I just press cmd and arrow down.....

Cheers!!

EverNote for me, still is the best of its kind.

• Like 2
  • Level 5*

Actually I like the idea - a small 'hit squad' of fast-track developers to add polish to existing features...  mind you Evernote ain't such a 'big company',  I think last time I looked they have less than 300 people worldwide...  :)

4 hours ago, gazumped said:

Actually I like the idea - a small 'hit squad' of fast-track developers to add polish to existing features...  mind you Evernote ain't such a 'big company',  I think last time I looked they have less than 300 people worldwide...  :)

agreed. Nevertheless, a company with a NetWorth as big as the many publications.... its kind of sufficiently big to support such a squad of developers.... (https://www.quora.com/How-much-revenue-is-Evernote-doing-Valuation) <-- I know its not reliable... but its approximately to this discussion needs.  

EverNote Rules! ;)

• Like 1

I've been over some large software projects. I know that you have to set priorities on major company initiatives, and that there are never enough resources for all of the requests. Nevertheless, we do set aside some resources for the smaller requests that make a difference in the user experience. It is worth it. 

Ed Catmull, Pixar and Disney

• Like 2

Hello All,

Maybe I'm too late but I found a way to jump from Top to Bottom & Bottom to Top of a Note & I can not believe that

in all the lists of Evernote shortcuts I searched, It Was Not There!   And that it took me this long to figure it out!

Anyway it's simple:  To go to Top of the Note: CTRL+Home.   -   To go to Bottom of the Note: CTRL+END.

That's It.

Good Luck.

• Like 1

Thanks MrGLOOG,

The problem for me is that I use the iPhone, and since I add information to the bottom of a document, I need to scroll to the bottom.  The CTRL+END isn't an option on the iPhone. 

I can get to the bottom by doing something wonky, like searching for XXX, but as I said, it is pretty wonky.  Since this is not a difficult problem to solve, I think that it can't get on the list of things they want to fix.

-Ed

• Like 1

Hi Everyone,

I saw the question above if Evernote reads these comments, and I wanted to let you know that we are listening diligently to our customers through these forums and other ways of getting your feedback. Our aspiration is to create an experience that works for all of our users, whether you want bottoms-up or tops-down notes, so as Ed points out, we're in a constant effort to prioritize asks. Please know that every one of your thoughts is heard by our herd!

Sincere thanks for all your thoughts, and please keep it coming,

Malc (SVP Marketing, Evernote)

• Like 1
On 5/17/2017 at 6:44 AM, Malcolm012280 said:

Hi Everyone,

I saw the question above if Evernote reads these comments, and I wanted to let you know that we are listening diligently to our customers through these forums and other ways of getting your feedback. Our aspiration is to create an experience that works for all of our users, whether you want bottoms-up or tops-down notes, so as Ed points out, we're in a constant effort to prioritize asks. Please know that every one of your thoughts is heard by our herd!

Top-down notes please! I want old notes to open at the bottom.

• Like 1
On 5/17/2017 at 9:44 AM, Malcolm012280 said:

Hi Everyone,

I'm glad to hear that you are diligently listening! I'm still interested in Evernote offering a toggle/settings choice about how to use your product (I generally prefer top-down, but have some notes that do the reverse). I had a chuckle to myself today when I realized that this very discussion forum is top-down! I appreciate this as it is, indeed, intuitively easier to quickly read through the material this way! 

• Like 1

I am entirely in favor of supporting top-to-bottom format for logging.  I would hope that EN acts on these requests for a quick way to scroll to the bottom of a long note, as I would hope that they allow choice of Thumbnail images and the ability to search for punctuation.  That said, my current workaround for the problem of quickly locating the bottom of a note is to suffix it with the characters: zzz.  Simple and effective.  Still requires far too many keystrokes but it can work.

I would hope that EN continues to improve its core product.

Bumping this up. Evernote, we really need this feature in iOS. 

Yes, I should become a bottom-up note taker, but it doesn't work for writing & there are too many notes the old way to re-do them all.

So please just add an option in settings "place initial cursor at end" and that's all we need.  

• Haha 1

If comment count is what it takes to fix iOS notes - add mine to the pile.

Last I looked the Western model for writing is left to right, top to bottom, so all you happy short note takers that can shove a new line in at the top of note, big ‘Hooray’,  joy filled days for you. But, some of us have written significant lengths of text, which amazingly we still add to - and those additions go at the bottom. So, yes, a quick way to get to the bottom of note in iOS would be much appreciated since this was an obvious use case that was missed or dropped out of the backlog.

Oh no, I just replied to a post from 2014 on the same topic and now I see that there multiple posts on the same topic that of course the moderators don't merge because then it would be a huge mega post dating back at least six years! Give your users what they want! 

Like many, I now add text to the top of a not. But here is a little hack that I used to do if you really want to add text to the end of your note: At the end a note, add a unique code word (like "xENDx") and then use the menu in the note to search for that word. It will take you straight to the end of the notes. I guess this only saves time if the note is very long lol. And you can put other markers in the notes to search for specific locations.

I am still upset that Evernote has known about this glaring problem for six years and has completely ignored their users. I like so much about Evernote and I use it every day but this is ridiculous and frankly insulting that they won't make such an simply update to their app!

• Like 1

Well, your dream came true awhile ago. We who liked to jump to the end of our super long docs just need to use CTRL+End on our keyboard, and ta-da, we can see the end! 

Hope this makes your day! 

• Level 5*
On 4/2/2021 at 4:26 AM, OPEN WITH CURSOR AT BOTTOM said:

Evernote has known about this glaring problem for six years and has completely ignored their users.

...And let me point out,  once again,  that the current version of Evernote didn't exist before 6 months ago...