Incorrect passphrase - when it isn't

I have been using EverNote for 2 years (and using passwords in general for about 35 years) and just had a nasty problem. I have several files in EverNote all password encrypted with the same (strong) password. I just went to look at my file of Internet passwords, double-clicked the little "lock with 6 squares" icon, typed in my password and the file came up. The a second later it went back to the little lock with 6 squares icon - I might have accidentally pressed a keyboard key.  So I double-clicked and retyped my password and EverNote came up with a red error message "Invalid passphrase. Try again." I have tried many times. I also tried typing the password into a text file to see that there is nothing wrong with the keyboard - then copying and pasting it. I have tried opening other encrypted files with the same password and they work fine.

I have never seen anything like this before. It really looks like some sort of bug in EverNote has changed my password.  This is very serious as I do not store this information anywhere else.  Luckilly I just checked and my phone has not been synced with the new password and I can still see the file on my phone.  If EverNote had synced with my phone then I would be in real trouble.

Has anyone else seen this sort of problem? It's possible that EverNote was displaying some sort of prompt and I accidentally hit the Enter key. But it should not be this easy to accidentally change a password.

Using EverNote 4.5.6.6884 on Windows 7.

I have been using EverNote for 2 years (and using passwords in general for about 35 years) and just had a nasty problem. I have several files in EverNote all password encrypted with the same (strong) password. I just went to look at my file of Internet passwords, double-clicked the little "lock with 6 squares" icon, typed in my password and the file came up. The a second later it went back to the little lock with 6 squares icon - I might have accidentally pressed a keyboard key.  So I double-clicked and retyped my password and EverNote came up with a red error message "Invalid passphrase. Try again." I have tried many times. I also tried typing the password into a text file to see that there is nothing wrong with the keyboard - then copying and pasting it. I have tried opening other encrypted files with the same password and they work fine.

I have never seen anything like this before. It really looks like some sort of bug in EverNote has changed my password.  This is very serious as I do not store this information anywhere else.  Luckilly I just checked and my phone has not been synced with the new password and I can still see the file on my phone.  If EverNote had synced with my phone then I would be in real trouble.

Has anyone else seen this sort of problem? It's possible that EverNote was displaying some sort of prompt and I accidentally hit the Enter key. But it should not be this easy to accidentally change a password.

Using EverNote 4.5.6.6884 on Windows 7.

I suggest you use a true password manager like Roboform, 1password, Lastpass, etc.

• 6 months later...

Evernote is not really suited to storing passwords.

i think you are missing the point. If you encrypt something you should be able to decrypt it again with the same password!!!  This is basic stuff.

The problem I had went away but has now happened again (which is why I came back here).

I like EverNote a lot in many ways. But it is absolute ***** in other ways.  Sorry, but that is the way it is.

• 1 year later...

btw I have switched to ON. One reason was the display of encrypted files. There is an option in EN but I was either 1. continually typing in my password (every time I switched away it would lock the file and I would have to enter the password time and again which is really annoying if trying to view info to enter somewhere else) or 2. Come back to my computer days later to find all my encrypted info on the screen for anyone to see if they turned on the monitor.

ON works much better with encryption (and in many other ways).

Archived