iOS app crashing on business cards

gophigure

Idea

Not sure if this is just me or if there is a larger problem. Trying to scan in a couple of business cards this morning. The app sees the card, frames it, snaps the photo, then the app crashes. Repeated it a couple times, reset the app, still the same. Anyone else?

43 replies to this idea

I have the same problem. I have iPhone 6 plus. to be sure I deleted Evernote app and installed it from Appstore again. But nothing changed, it is still crashing while scanning business cards. 

Business card scanning feature was perfect before Evernote guys introduced Smart! auto mode camera feature. Business card feature was the reason for me to upgrade Premium. Now I cannot scan any card. I am afraid I will cancel my premium if Evernote will not solve the issue soon.

• Level 5

I have the same problem. I have iPhone 6 plus. to be sure I deleted Evernote app and installed it from Appstore again. But nothing changed, it is still crashing while scanning business cards. 

Business card scanning feature was perfect before Evernote guys introduced Smart! auto mode camera feature. Business card feature was the reason for me to upgrade Premium. Now I cannot scan any card. I am afraid I will cancel my premium if Evernote will not solve the issue soon.

Hi,

I'm sorry about the problems you (and others) are experiencing scanning business cards. We are actively trying to resolve the issues that we're having with the camera, and the iPhone 6 Plus is affected more than other devices. We have noticed that when the device gets into a memory-constrained state (while using Evernote or other apps), it may crash while processing a captured image. We have also noticed that when the device gets into that state, several apps may have similar issues.

Rebooting the device has been found to fix the problem, at least temporarily. We don't like that solution any more than you do, and we aren't satisfied with it. We'll keep working on isolating the issue and making it better. We have submitted a new version (7.7.6) to the App Store and it is currently "waiting for review." That has additional fixes that should make this better for more users.

Thanks for taking the time to provide your feedback. 

Thanks for the reply. Nice to know you are on top of it.

Just wanted to also say it's not just bussinescards. Also maybe taking a picture of a book or news item with any form of number or box anywhere on page.

So it's basically any time I want to take a picture. Often when I switch off the smart picture thing (top right corner) it gets better.

Even if it works sometimes it takes a picture of a box on the page instead of the page.

Just some feedback. Wouldn't it be better if the smart picture was the 1 button option.. Instead of the normal? Makes taking a quick shot of something highly annoying. Whereas when I want a bussinescard saved, I can enable that? Personally I am more likely to take pictures of various text for digital storing. More so than business cards.

I have a feeling maybe its location services that is the problem. Seems to happen with apps that keep asking for location or using location. An apple problem I guess. But surely there is a work-around? 

This is shout in the dark. But those other apps or should I say single app I am having a problem with, is hardly an established tech company like Evernote, who probably has 'more' of a working relationship with apple.

They surely is some problem. This is the second app that just shuts down. But I would hardly call the first app a 'top class-first tier tech company'. In fact their bussiness is not even tech at all.

I have a 4s with up to date os and my phone crashes each time a picture is taken in auto mode for business cards.  In the manual mode, I got one to work, then the phone crashed.  

Will the bug fix address this?  When is the fix expected?  

It's the same here for me and my iPhone 6 plus. Everytime I try to capture a business card in Evernote it crashes.

I cannot confirm

We have noticed that when the device gets into a memory-constrained state (while using Evernote or other apps), it may crash while processing a captured image. We have also noticed that when the device gets into that state, several apps may have similar issues.

Only Evernote is crashing, no other apps behave strange after the Evernote crash.

Is there an update on this problem?  I upgraded to a paid account primarily for the business card scanning feature.  I have an iPhone 6+.  The app will take 2-4 pictures.  Then it crashes after taking the photo each time.  Closing and re-opening the app does not work.  The only temporary fix is the several minute process of powering down the phone and powering it back up.  I am using version 7.7.9 and have updates flowing automatically.  I do not buy the argument that this happens when the phone is in a memory constrained space - and that something similar will happen with other apps.  I checked the activity log and at the time of the crash it said I had 14.3GB free size in t he file system against a 55.4 gb file system size.  Evernote is the only app that I have this problem with.  Right now I am a very unhappy paid user.  Is there any update on when this will be fixed??

I have this problem with the iPhone 4S despite the latest version 7.7.9.  However, Scannable on the iPad is able to do the job as a work around and I think it is actually easier.  I had assumed that it was a 4S issue.

Still would like it fixed if it not a 4S only issue as I am upgrading the handset when the new iPhone comes out.

I have been meaning to follow up on my last post for a while. I just want to say that the last update corrected my crashing issues related to business card scanning. I also want to express my appreciation for Evernote's timely response to my post and to correcting the issue. So thank you Chuck (cifip). The quick update to let me know you were aware of this issue and doing something about it, certainly went a long way to extending my patience. I am definitely willing to ride through some small growing pains in Evernote's evolution as long as the direction is forward. So thanks again and you can put me down as a happy customer.

My Evernote is updated to latest app store version. Have an Iphone6 plus. And still experiencing this. Cant say its a 4s issue, or resolved. Better than before i guess, which made camera useless.

• Level 5

Hi all,

We continue to work on this issue and have improvements in every release, but the iPhone 6 Plus has been especially troublesome for us. We've found that some of the fixes work for some of the users. It's been a very frustrating exercise for everyone, and I'm sorry that it continues to affect some of our most active Evernote users. 

The best results continue to come from rebooting the device on occasion. We hope to have a better solution available shortly.

Thanks,

Chuck

Mark me down as another 6+ user who signed up for premium account for this feature, but can't use it. For me it is not only business cards, but any document that I use camera to scan causes it to crash. Scannable is just as wonky. I have 85.7GB free on my phone and am not experiencing any flakey behavior in any other apps other than Evernote and Scannable. I have tried closing all other open apps - that doesn't help. The only that does help is the rebooting, but that only gets me a couple of scans before we right back where we started, and isn't worth the hassle.

I appreciate that this is on the radar for your team, but is it a priority? I've seen similar posts going all the way back to when the iPhone 6+ first came out just about a year ago.

Chuck from Evernote-

Is there a way that we can escalate this issue within the Evernote bug fix team?  I was originally a LinkedIn CardMuch user.  When they discontinued that very nice product they migrated me and many others to Evernote.  I am pretty much only using Evernote for the card scanning feature because of the ability to connect cards to linkedin profiles.  Until this is fixed I am not willing to invest my time using and learning other Evernote features.  When my Cardmunch transition period ran out, I upgraded to the paid version of Evernote, just for this business card scanning feature.  I feel as if I am throwing money away every month because it is really not usable.  The solution of rebooting my phone is not just about the time it takes to power it down and power it back up.  But then for many apps I have to re-enable fingerprint scanning etc.  It has been almost a year since the iPhone 6 and 6+ launched.  And new models are about to come out.  It really is time to get this fixed.  Please.  Tell us how we can get this issue elevated as a priority!

• Level 5

Hi all,

We released version 7.7.11 to the App Store this morning. It contains improvements to the camera specifically for the iPhone 6 Plus. Please update to the latest version and let us know your results.

Thanks for your patience with this issue.

Cheers,

Chuck

I have been having the same issues. I opened a ticket with EN and they never responded...until today...when they simply closed my ticket with no answer and told me to search this forum...which I did and found other disgruntled users!

Same issue here. The app is pretty much useless as a business card scanner. Really miss CardMunch, which worked almost flawlessly.  I have a 4S with 32M of memory. Shows 5M free. Running IOS 8.1.2.  Evernote v7.6.3.313347.   Annoying thing is that right after the CardMumch buyout and conversion to Evernote, it worked. Then within about 2 months, it stopped and hasn't worked since.   Anyone have a fix or workaround for this?

• Level 5

Hi,

We released v7.6.4 earlier this week (see this post: Evernote for iOS v7.6.4 Released). We upgraded the camera SDK which should address some of the memory issues specifically with the 4S as well as iOS 7. However, if the camera is moving and refocussing on business cards before capturing the image (i.e. using a lot of memory to try to get the image), the app may still crash. Keeping the camera steady will give the best response.

We'll continue to work on camera stability, but please note that 4S devices are especially problematic.

Please update to the latest version of the Evernote for iOS app, and let us know if it helps.

I have been meaning to follow up on my last post for a while. I just want to say that the last update corrected my crashing issues related to business card scanning. I also want to express my appreciation for Evernote's timely response to my post and to correcting the issue. So thank you Chuck (cifip). The quick update to let me know you were aware of this issue and doing something about it, certainly went a long way to extending my patience. I am definitely willing to ride through some small growing pains in Evernote's evolution as long as the direction is forward. So thanks again and you can put me down as a happy customer.

iPad App - once business card processes and I hit 'Save' the app flickers and does not save to the note.  It was working fine before this last update and now not so much.  As a Premium user I would hope this is resolved quickly as it is one of the features that I 'value'.....without it I am feeling a bit jipped.  Evernote.....I love ya to death but I need some resolution on this please.....

• Level 5

iPad App - once business card processes and I hit 'Save' the app flickers and does not save to the note. It was working fine before this last update and now not so much. As a Premium user I would hope this is resolved quickly as it is one of the features that I 'value'.....without it I am feeling a bit jipped. Evernote.....I love ya to death but I need some resolution on this please.....

Hi,

We submitted v7.7.5 to Apple this evening to address this issue. We'll get it out as soon as it's approved. I'm very sorry for the inconvenience. (In the meantime, you can use Scannable for business card scanning.)

Cheers,

Chuck

Same issue. Terrible. Crashes more often than not. Close to always. To the point that taking photos can become impossible through Evernote, esp. When it scans info with business card feature.

Own iPhone 6 plus. Really really terrible.

Same issue. Terrible. Crashes more often than not. Close to always. To the point that taking photos can become impossible through Evernote, esp. When it scans info with business card feature.

Own iPhone 6 plus. Really really terrible.

Same issue. Terrible. Crashes more often than not. Close to always. To the point that taking photos can become impossible through Evernote, esp. When it scans info with business card feature. Own iPhone 6 plus. Really really terrible.

Same issue. Terrible. Crashes more often than not. Close to always. To the point that taking photos can become impossible through Evernote, esp. When it scans info with business card feature. Own iPhone 6 plus. Really really terrible.

Archived