Best resolution size for documents & images exporting into EN

marymac

Idea

What is the best resolution size to select to exporting into EN? I FINALLY found a great iPhone/iPad app to help me with BATCH camera exports from my mobile devices (iPhone/iPad) to EN via the "Photogene" app."Photogene" also gives me export file size choices of 1) Resolution size: 200. 320, 640, 800, 1024, 1600, 2048, & 2592 (default original size), & 2) DPI: 72x72, 96x96, 150 x150, 180x180, 200x200. I do not know what is lowest 1) resolution size & 2) DPI size I can choose that will still let me be able to read my documents well? While I am a premium EN user, large file sizes could still be prohibitive as I have quite a photo backlog of research photos (document pics + photo pics).

"Photogene" app also had great reviews for editing photos..but for me my #1 find for it was to find a way to bring in a large number of related photos from my devices directly into EN at once, eliminating the emailing pic by pic time consuming export nightmare. Due to the backlog of photos I have, I need large batch exporting directly into EN that bypasses my plugging my devices into my also full computer. In the future I will be changing my photo export workflow, beginning with using "FastEver Snap-Camera for Evernote" app which also allows choosing image sizes from original size, UXGA(1600 × 1200), XGA(1024 × 768), VGA (640 × 480) and QVGA (320 × 240). (Default is XGA). Of course looking for guidelines of best file size choice for that export too!??? Image sizes are compressed for sending small file sizes as well & it supports EN notebook and tags too. Have other EN users tried this app for quick pics on their mobile devices for easy exporting into EN?? What file sizes did you choose?

I will also be using "kooaba Shortcut" app to take pictures of pages in newspapers and magazines to save a digital copy straight into my EN account. I do alot of research in books and take photos to remember key points. Currently I use either camera app on mobile device or sometimes "GeniusScan" app, which I really like! Just discovered can export from "Genius Scan" straight into EN too!

WHAT has been your best workflows from getting your mobile devices photos into EN?? Best resolution sizes??

3 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

What is the best resolution size to select to exporting into EN? 

There is no one "best" size for photos.  It depends what your purpose is for importing into Evernote, and what you plan to do with the photos later.  Obviously, if you will only want the photos in EN for casual viewing on a computer, then you only need a relatively small resolution.  If you plan to make print enlargements, then you will need a high resolution.  I'm not sure that Evernote is a good solution for storing a lot of high res photos.  In fact, I wouldn't use Evernote as my main photo library.  There are a number of desktop apps that work well with online photo services.

For text documents, I'd recommend that you scan and OCR before importing into Evernote.  Most scanning and OCR systems have used suggest that you only need 200-300 dpi, but this may change if you have detailed images/drawings in your documents.  I'd run a few test cases to see what works best for you.

In all cases, I'd suggest that you run some test cases for both photos and documents before you begin mass import into Evernote.  

• Level 5*

What is the best resolution size to select to exporting into EN? 

There is no one "best" size for photos.  It depends what your purpose is for importing into Evernote, and what you plan to do with the photos later.  Obviously, if you will only want the photos in EN for casual viewing on a computer, then you only need a relatively small resolution.  If you plan to make print enlargements, then you will need a high resolution.  I'm not sure that Evernote is a good solution for storing a lot of high res photos.  In fact, I wouldn't use Evernote as my main photo library.  There are a number of desktop apps that work well with online photo services.

For text documents, I'd recommend that you scan and OCR before importing into Evernote.  Most scanning and OCR systems have used suggest that you only need 200-300 dpi, but this may change if you have detailed images/drawings in your documents.  I'd run a few test cases to see what works best for you.

In all cases, I'd suggest that you run some test cases for both photos and documents before you begin mass import into Evernote.  

As far as text goes, as I mention in the links above, it also depends on how you scan / photograph things. If they are grayscale, for example, they will fare better with Evernote's OCR, and 300 dpi is actually better than 600 dpi. On the other hand, if you use Adobe for the OCR, 600 dpi black and white will be best. I photograph a lot of documents as well (I'm a historian), but mine are not printed in most cases, so OCR is pretty much useless. Even when they are printed, the quality of the paper, quality of the printing, and so forth will affect the results. 

Finally, as I mention here, there are limits that you also need to keep in mind.

http://www.christopher-mayo.com/?p=169

In this case, the most relevant ones are:

• PDF OCR (Optical Character Recognition): You must be a Premium subscriber, the raw PDF must be 50 megabytes or less, the scan must contain no more than 100 pages, the raw PDF cannot already contain “searchable” text that you can select and copy, the PDF can’t be encrypted or protected with a passphrase, and the PDF cannot be a handwritten document. If you want to get more technical, text must have an approximately 0, 90, or 270 degree orientation.
  • Image OCR: The limit for images is not clear, and seems to vary based on some combination of factors, but customer support has said that the largest one that can be reliably OCR’d at this time is about 3000 x 2400px at 300 DPI.

Archived