How can I export a list of all notes' titles to Word or Excel?

GGathen

This should work:

1. SHIFT- or CTRL- select all of the notes whose titles you want to export (such as from a search, tag, or notebook)
  2. COPY (CTRL-C)
  3. PASTE (CTRL-V) into a Word or Excel document

On the Mac, replace CTRL with CMD.

• Level 5*

I need to be able to export just the titles to a list.

Please specify which Evernote client you are referring to (Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, Web, etc.) when you ask your question. 

• Level 5*

You mean you'd prefer someone else to spend time testing something out to make sure their response is totally workable before making any suggestions?  I'd predict a long wait...

Oh - hang on;  I'm pretty sure I've done this:

Open List view

Click a title

Edit "Select All"

Copy

Paste into word processor or spreadsheet

That'll give you a list of links to the notes,  or (if you paste plain text) just a list of the titles.

Thanks for your suggestion, but it didin't work for me. I went to list view, but when clicking a title it brings up that article. So when I click "edit," and then Ctrl-A (select all), it selects only that article. Ctrl-C (copy), then Ctrl-V (paste) into a blank Word document, it pastes only that article.

This is the same answer I got the last time I asked for the help. If you tested what you suggest and it worked, I must not understand how to do it. When I click "edit," there is no choice for "select all." If you didn't test it, kindly do so--it would only take five seconds. Maybe something is wrong with my PC.

I'm on Windows 8.1, if that could be the problem.

• Level 5*

Hi.  If you're in List view you should have your note content showing in a separate window.  Clicking on a note title selects that note,  but also moves the 'focus' of Windows' attention onto the list window (the note title should change colour).  Ctrl-A then expands that selection to all titles.  (Edit > Select All will also work.)

It may take some practice and a little fiddling,  but it does work - even in Win 8.1

• Level 5*

Thanks for your suggestion, but it didin't work for me. I went to list view, but when clicking a title it brings up that article. So when I click "edit," and then Ctrl-A (select all), it selects only that article. Ctrl-C (copy), then Ctrl-V (paste) into a blank Word document, it pastes only that article.

This is the same answer I got the last time I asked for the help. If you tested what you suggest and it worked, I must not understand how to do it. When I click "edit," there is no choice for "select all." If you didn't test it, kindly do so--it would only take five seconds. Maybe something is wrong with my PC.

I'm on Windows 8.1, if that could be the problem.

If someone previously gave you a suggestion in the forum that didn't work:

* you should kindly continue the conversation in the same topic, rather than opening a new topic; it should take you no extra time to do so

* if you feel compelled to open up a new topic for the same question that wasn't answered to your satisfaction, then you should at least link to the prior topic and state what it was about the answer that wasn't satisfactory; it should take only five seconds to do so

Note: I just merged the topics.

If anyone can help, please try to do it before giving advice such as "This  should work."

Thanks,

Gary

There is a better way of doing this, irrespective of whether you are on Windows or Mac.

1. Select all the notes you want to have in your list
  2. Create a table of contents of these notes
  3. Copy that TOC
  4. Paste into a Word doc, Notepad, Wordpad, .....

And try to be courteous when addressing people in this forum, or any other forum for that matter. The world is not waiting around to serve you.

I'm having no luck with these suggestions. There may be something wrong with my PC, or maybe I need to upgrade my subscription?

Could you kindly let me speak with you about how to do what you say? I'd be happy to call you if you send me your phone number and a convenient time/day to call. Please send to gary@gathen.net. I'm willing to pay a reasonable fee for this, if required.

Thanks,

Gary

• Level 5*

This doesn't work in the latest Evernote for Windows beta (5.6.1.4242). Using a tool named "Inside Clipboard", I can see that when I am in list view, make a selection, and press Ctrl+C, there are several items that appear on the clipboard:

* CF_TEXT (equivalently, CF_OEMTEXT and CF_UNICODETEXT): a CSV-style text snippet, with tab-separated fields, column headers as the first line, and the individual notes (with appropriate metadata) as text lines that follow.. You can paste this into a text editor, but it won't produce what the original poster wants.

* HTML Format: an HTML fragment that consists of an HTML table object that contains the above items: first row is a number of cells that are the column headers that you see in the list view, and ensuing rows are the notes and their meta-data.

If I am in snippet view or card view, making a selection in the view and pressing Ctrl+C does not put anything on the clipboard.

This doesn't work in the latest Evernote for Windows beta (5.6.1.4242). Using a tool named "Inside Clipboard", I can see that when I am in list view, make a selection, and press Ctrl+C, there are several items that appear on the clipboard:

* CF_TEXT (equivalently, CF_OEMTEXT and CF_UNICODETEXT): a CSV-style text snippet, with tab-separated fields, column headers as the first line, and the individual notes (with appropriate metadata) as text lines that follow.. You can paste this into a text editor, but it won't produce what the original poster wants.

* HTML Format: an HTML fragment that consists of an HTML table object that contains the above items: first row is a number of cells that are the column headers that you see in the list view, and ensuing rows are the notes and their meta-data.

If I am in snippet view or card view, making a selection in the view and pressing Ctrl+C does not put anything on the clipboard.

I don't know what you mean by "this" in "this doesn't work" but making a table of contents works in both Windows & Mac clients & is the simplest way for Gary to create his list. All the rest suggested above are workarounds.

• Level 5*

I don't know what you mean by "this" in "this doesn't work" but making a table of contents works in both Windows & Mac clients & is the simplest way for Gary to create his list. All the rest suggested above are workarounds.

"This", as in "I make a selection in the note list, and click Ctrl+C (or right-click/Copy), and paste the results into a spreadsheet or text file", which is what has been suggested more than once here, and which the OP has tried and couldn't get to work, and what I actually described in the post that you quoted. This would only be a workaround if it actually worked. :)

The TOC technique does work in the Windows client, though it's easy to miss if you're not familiar with the multi-select panel, and it's not an option on the right-click menu.

I'm not familiar with the multi-select panel, It sounds like it could be the answer.

BTW,  I'm legally blind and cannot read things on the glaring white background, so I have changed the color scheme to black background with yellow text and lines. This enables me to read text easily. However, often there is a button or link choice that doesn't appear because it may not have changed its color. If you can send me a screenshot of where to find what isn't on my screen, that would probably help.

Attached is a screenshot after clicking on the first note's title:

post-213319-0-69407100-1406837776_thumb.

Jefito:

Wait...what, you can't make a Table of Contents (TOC) like the ones Grumpy Monkey describes, using the Windows client? I haven't felt up to tackling my major Evernote housekeeping tasks on my laptop as of yet, but if I won't be able to create TOCs, this changes everything.

All the organization I have planned hinges on the ability to create TOCs. If I can't, I don't know that I can continue with EN... *Please* tell me I'm missing something here?

"This", as in "I make a selection in the note list, and click Ctrl+C (or right-click/Copy), and paste the results into a spreadsheet or text file", which is what has been suggested more than once here, and which the OP has tried and couldn't get to work, and what I actually described in the post that you quoted. This would only be a workaround if it actually worked. :)

The TOC technique does work in the Windows client, though it's easy to miss if you're not familiar with the multi-select panel, and it's not an option on the right-click menu.

Jefito:

Wait...what, you can't make a Table of Contents (TOC) like the ones Grumpy Monkey describes, using the Windows client? I haven't felt up to tackling my major Evernote housekeeping tasks on my laptop as of yet, but if I won't be able to create TOCs, this changes everything.

All the organization I have planned hinges on the ability to create TOCs. If I can't, I don't know that I can continue with EN... *Please* tell me I'm missing something here?

You're not missing anything. It is possible to create TOCs in the Widows client. Just follow the instructions I posted above.

I'm having no luck with these suggestions.

Hi GGathen, Let me try

Thank you for the screen shot of your Evernote. You seem to be having problems selecting your notes you want in your list

=========================================

Where do you get your notes you want to sellect

==========================================

Above your current opened note is a table of Notes -- they call this "List View" ("View" menu at top of screen  -> down to Check-box "List View") or Ctrl+F5

An Alternitive View of the notes is "Snippet View" ("View" menu at top of screen  -> down to Check-box "Snippet View") or Ctrl+F6

Now you can move back and forth between these views

======================================

How to Select them

=======================================

1) Go to the first note you want in your list from the top "List View" or "Snippet View"

2) Left click on that note -- it will also show up below

3) now with the Ctrl key depressed, left click the second note you want in this list

You should now have two notes selected from your list

4) continue doing this until you have all your notes you want selected

5) Ctrl + C to copy all those note titles from the "View List"

6) go to wherever you want to export it to -- a Word Doc, a Spreadsheet etc and Ctrl +V to paste this list

If you have a large number of notes and they are all in a row

1) Go to the first note you want in your list from the top "List View"

3) now with the Shift key depressed, left click the LAST note you want in this list

ALL of the notes between the first and the last are now selected from your list

Oh Phew! For a minute there I started to freak out. I already do know "how" to do it, having read enough of Grumpy Monkey's forum post and several digs through his personal blog to have a solid grasp on it, but haven't gotten around to actually doing it yet.

Nor could I just open my laptop to check at around 3:00 am (my time) when I saw this thread. It's needs several hours worth of updating and housekeeping that I've been studiously avoiding for a few months and until I take care of those, I don't want to do *any* work in any program I have on the laptop.

So thanks, DutchPete!

Thanks, folks for trying to help me. Here are my results:

When left-clicking a title in list view, it brings the note underneath the list. Fine.

When I left-click another title, it brings a box allowing to paste links to the clipboard--not titles, which does no good.

There is no gray box with a TOC choice.

When I try to select multiple titles with Shift-left click, it just brings that second note underneath.

Ctrl-A selects everything on the screen except the note content. It highlights the title of the note.

Tech support posted that exporting a list of titles is not possible. That seems strange--a simple request, I would think.

If anyone out there can do the export of titles only to Word--and it works--please verify that you successfully exported and attach a copy of the Word document. .

Several posts to this problem tell me that whatever they sugtgest "should work," but apparently they have not actuallydone it.

post-213319-0-08941000-1407014657_thumb.

GGathen, Please follow my instructions . . . to the letter . .. . . you need to do ALL 6 steps before you will see your list.  You had stopped and freaked out at after step 3. You need to do ALL 6 steps. Please read carefully and follow each step

======================================

How to Select them

=======================================

1) Go to the first note you want in your list from the top "List View" or "Snippet View"

3) now with the Ctrl key depressed, left click the second note you want in this list

You should now have two notes selected from your list

. ..

When left-clicking a title in list view, it brings the note underneath the list. Fine.

When I left-click another title, it brings a box allowing to paste links to the clipboard- . . . .

Yay, you did good! you competed step one through steps three with no problem. You get a Gold star. Now don't stop. proceed to step four. Let say you have 3 more notes you want to get titles for

it brings a box allowing to paste links to the clipboard--not titles, which does no good

That is because we are not done yet, Grass Hopper

Step 4

4) Keep your Ctrl key depressed, With your mouse touch 3 more notes that you want titles from

The first 2 notes are highlighted and now 3 more notes gives you 5 notes highlighted

DONE FREAK OUT YOU ARE NOT DONE YET

with the 5 notes highlighted proceed to step 5

5) Ctrl + C will copy all these 5  note titles from the "View List"

DONE FREAK OUT YOU ARE NOT DONE YET

proceed to step 6

6) go to wherever you want to export it to -- a Word Doc, a Spreadsheet etc and Ctrl +V this will  paste the note titles to your word document and or your spreadsheet

GGathen, if you have followed all 6 steps you will have your list ot titles

• Level 5*

Excellent description of what to do, JohnDM. There is actually an easier way. Put the notes you want to copy the titles of into a separate notebook, or filter on a tag that just selects the ones you want. Select the list view, and right click on the title field (it's at the top of the list in my view). Uncheck all the fields that you don't want, so that you just have your titles.

Click on the first title, and then Ctrl-A. This will highlight all the notes in that filter/notebook. Ctrl-C, as you suggested. Go to Word. Ctrl-V. In Word 2010 at least, this will paste the titles in a table. Do whatever you want with that list.

Of course, all of that was suggested by smaviglia in the SECOND post in this thread. I hope that one of these techniques has got the OP the list that was wanted.

. Uncheck all the fields that you don't want, so that you just have your titles.

Click on the first title, and then Ctrl-A. This will highlight all the notes in that filter/notebook. Ctrl-C, as you suggested. Go to Word. Ctrl-V. In Word 2010 at least, this will paste the titles in a table. Do whatever you want with that list.

OMG FatMan this is awesome .  .. . I learn something every day (I didn't know you could turn off fields in list view lol . . . awesome

DutchPete:

Thanks for hanging in there with me. I followed every step in your instructions, but:

The titles do not change color--possibly due to my color scheme.

Ctrl-left click brings up the box in the center of the screen with a choice "Copy note links to the clipboard."

When clicking that button, and Ctrl-V in Word, it does just that--pastes the note links into Word.

My wife did not see any grey box either.

Maybe it's my browser--Firefox? Which one do you use?

I'm using the Clearly app in Firefox--do you use that?

I see your grey box, but can't get it here.

I wonder why tech support said it wouldn't work. It does for you.

Thanks.

DutchPete:

Thanks for hanging in there with me. I followed every step in your instructions, but:

The titles do not change color--possibly due to my color scheme.

Ctrl-left click brings up the box in the center of the screen with a choice "Copy note links to the clipboard."

When clicking that button, and Ctrl-V in Word, it does just that--pastes the note links into Word.

My wife did not see any grey box either.

Maybe it's my browser--Firefox? Which one do you use?

I'm using the Clearly app in Firefox--do you use that?

Gary, I think I know where the fault line is. You are trying to do this in your Evernote's web version. That is why Evernote support probably told you it is not possible.

But you should try the Evernote desktop version.

That was it! Thanks so much, DutchPete!

Problem is that it comes up with black text/lines on glaring white background which I can't read very well.

Can tech support advise how to get the colors changed to yellow on black background? Please?

Gary, I am happy for you as far as "my bit" is concerned. The rest is out of my scope.

I just want to give you a hint: if you ask someone for help you should show your appreciation if you want to continue receiving help in the future. I had to ask for feedback after 3 days of radio silence from your side. If I had not asked you would never have bothered telling me you found the problem. Remember what I said in my 1st post: the world is not waiting to serve you. You cannot assume that because of your handicap you will get favourable treatment.

Good luck with the rest of the issue, I hope Tech Support can sort that bit out for you.

DutchPete:

I didn't get a chance to follow up on your previous post while getting a major presentation completed yesterday. I'm sorry that I didn't get to it sooner, but it couldn't be helped. I try to thank people in every reply. That said, thank you for keeping the conversation going until you nailed it in the last post. Evernote is a great help to me, and will be more so, now that the titles can be exported. I have nearly 1,000 notes, so you can imagine hoow valuable your help has been. I'm using both versions of Evernote now and can read the Word exported document easily because the colors change for me there.

Much appreciated.

Archived