Internal note URL - please restore as default

drjones69

Idea

Good afternoon,

It's been bugging me for a while (I'm not entirely sure which version introduced the change though), but the change of default behaviour to paste https:// links rather than evernote:// links is really annoying.

I use Evernote in conjunction with other Mac apps (e.g. OmniFocus), and it provides a great workflow to store links reference documents inside action points.  The new behaviour of bouncing out to the browser, and then bouncing back to EN is frustrating.  In over 5 years of using EN I think the number of times I've wanted to use web links numbers in single digits, but I used internal links almost every day.

I am aware that from the context menu, I can hold down <opt> to enable the 'Copy Classic Note Link' option - but this behaviour (aside from the extra step) does not affect dragging/dropping notes between EN and other apps.

Is there any config option (buried deep within a .plist file) I can fiddle with, as the new behaviour is really driving me nuts.  If not, please will you consider adding one (even it's not in main UI - I do appreciate the need to not flood users with hundreds of unnecessary options).

Regards,
Ryan

6 replies to this idea

You are not alone. Myself and many other users have posted in the many existing threads on this topic asking for the same set of options you are. Consider your request noted. We'll have to just wait and see how things go! 

In the meantime, the opt-  option isn't too terribly cumbersome in my opinion, since it is only needed if you are pasting outside of Evernote. 

I never even thought of the impact on dragging and dropping to an app outside of Evernote, but you are right, there is no way to modify that behaviour. That's a bit of a biggie. 

Anyway, now it is the waiting game. 

Brilliant,

Now updated to Evernote 6.0 (Mac) and find that this function has now been removed in its entirety.

Bloody annoying Evernote!  Encourage people to develop workflows that work for them, and then remove the functionality from the app that supports them.  To be honest I never really expected the default behaviour to returned to the old style Note Link, but to remove it entirely is just crapping on a bunch of your users.

Whist I may be only a single user, I can assure you that after half a decade of using Evernote - I have NOT ONCE copied an link and said to my self 'Oh, I hope this opens in a browser' - tens of thousands of interactions with the Evernote application, and not a single desire for the functionality to be as it is now - I can't believe I'm the only one!

Do you know what - if you released a paid for version of EN, I'd happily give you a big fat pile of cash for this single function to be present in the paid version!  As it stands you've crippled multiple workflows of storing links in calendar events and Omnifocus tasks - which I could pick up on an iPad or iPhone and immediately have access to resource in the note - it was a pretty much a keystone in my entire organisation routine, now I end up getting bumped around via a browser, which may/may not be logged in, and then get bounced back out to EN - it's a bloody train wreck of a user flow!

Next time you plan on removing functionality that's been in an application for years - perhaps you might  mention it in the release notes, or better yet DON'T REMOVE THE DAMN FUNCTIONALITY!

Regards (if Somewhat Miffed),

Ryan

It's not completely gone. It looks there is a bug. To workaround: Hold both, CTRL and ALT key and then click with the mouse. This will bring the classic link back.

But beyond that; I also would like to have the classic back as a standard, because 99% of all of my links are in classic mode.

Ah, a bit of salvation!

The tip above doesn't quite do the job (at least on the Mac), however the following does,

1) Hold down Opt (or alt) - BEFORE bringing up the context menu - then the Copy Classic link will appear.

Seems a very odd design decision imho - on all other Mac apps (that I am aware of), a user can press the Opt button AFTER the context menu is open and it will change to show the alternative option, you might be right, it could just well be a bug which will be resolved in due cause - at least I'm back to functionality in the previous version ;-)

Regards,

Ryan

Ah, a bit of salvation!

The tip above doesn't quite do the job (at least on the Mac), however the following does,

1) Hold down Opt (or alt) - BEFORE bringing up the context menu - then the Copy Classic link will appear.

Seems a very odd design decision imho - on all other Mac apps (that I am aware of), a user can press the Opt button AFTER the context menu is open and it will change to show the alternative option, you might be right, it could just well be a bug which will be resolved in due cause - at least I'm back to functionality in the previous version ;-)

Regards,

Ryan

The "hold opt before right-clicking" issue is a known bug that EN staff will likely resolve soon. 

Archived