Hi there, 

For a while now I have been using Dropbox and Adobe Reader on my tablet. The two work nicely together; the markings I make with Adobe Reader on my tablet are saved in the file in Dropbox, meaning I can look them up behind my pc and on my phone.

But now I want to replace Dropbox with Evernote because of Evernote's tagging features, and I noticed that whenever I open a .pdf file in Evernote and I start marking text, the .pdf file actually gets downloaded and it gets saved locally, on my tablet, and not inside Evernote. Is there a way to fix this? 

In the past I have been using the other text markup program (Skitch? Not sure how it's called) which allowed me to save the .pdf inside Evernote, but I rather stick with Adobe Reader.

I'll have to defer to someone who actually has an android device, but I suspect there are a few things going on here.

anything attached to the note MUST be downloaded to local storage to be viewed or modified. Typically this local storage is evernote's application cache.

If the PDF file is ending up saved somewhere else, this might be related to either something you are doing, or to the way the applications and Android operating system seem to want to work...

Either way someone with android experience will have to chime in. Remember that this is a user forum, so you'll have to be patient. We fellow users visit this board on our spare time, so temper your expectations. A few hours isn't unreasonable.

• Level 5*

..and some of us lost an internet connection for most of yesterday,  so weren't able to join the party!

Usually,  if you open something attached to a note,  make some changes,  and save it back,  it should save back into the note attachment.  It may be that for some reason your annotated copy is saving back to a different file name,  which will confuse the system.  Either make sure the file is being saved back to the right location with the same name,  or simply delete the original and save the new version in its place.

You'll gather from that though that Evernote does have one drawback here - each time you edit the file,  your upload allowance is being hit for the full size of that file.  Edit lots of files,  or fewer very large files,  and you'll use up your allowance quickly...

• Level 5*

Yeah,  I get 'fused a lot with upload stuff too,  but as far as I understand it,  if you have a 1MB PDF file to open and read - that won't impact your upload allowance because the file is downloaded only.  Make some changes though and save it back to the same note,  and it's pretty much like saving the file for the first time.  Your 1.00001MB file (or .98MB etc) is an upload,  so starts the meter running again.  The PDF file is one unit,  however you've added the anotations.  Note content also counts,  but that's byte-size stuff in comparison to big documents which may contain pictures.  It's been discussed on the board before that the 'best' way to edit stuff is before you add it to a note - so maybe DropBox or something similar as temporary storage.  All of which is only an issue if you do lots and it impacts your upload limit - but I've been in that state once and it wasn't a happy place!  I'm keen to avoid doing it again...

..and some of us lost an internet connection for most of yesterday,  so weren't able to join the party!

Usually,  if you open something attached to a note,  make some changes,  and save it back,  it should save back into the note attachment.  It may be that for some reason your annotated copy is saving back to a different file name,  which will confuse the system.  Either make sure the file is being saved back to the right location with the same name,  or simply delete the original and save the new version in its place.

You'll gather from that though that Evernote does have one drawback here - each time you edit the file,  your upload allowance is being hit for the full size of that file.  Edit lots of files,  or fewer very large files,  and you'll use up your allowance quickly...

Whatever I try, for some reason it simply wont replace / update the .pdf file in the note. What happens is this: 

- I open the .pdf file through Evernote, using Adobe Reader.

- I make some markups;

- I hit the 'back' button on the tablet

At this point, when using Dropbox, the .pdf file gets updated with the markups. Using Evernote, however, I *do* get a message with 'file saved' but when I open up the .pdf file in Evernote, it remains unchanged. When going to the tablet's storage, in the downloads folder, I find the file, with the markups. When using Dropbox, however, this is not the case; I open up the file (through the Dropbox app, and with the Adobe Reader app), add some markups, hit the back button when I am done, and the markups are automatically saved to the .pdf file in Evernote.

Anyway, I am using Skitch now... It does what I want to do (markups in .pdf files). Not as accurately as Adobe Reader does because it is done with a free hand tool instead of text selection, and saving the file (literally) takes ten times the time it takes Dropbox, but it does the job nonetheless. 

If I am doing it wrong, or if anyone knows how to fix this, I would still be very interested! :)

Archived