(Archived) Easiest way to convert a note in plain text?

You're going to have to be more specific. I don't know what it is you're trying to do or what problem you are encountering. If you cut/copy paste plain text into an Evernote note, it remains plain text. If you mean you're adding images with text & want it OCR'd so you can copy/paste the text into something else, Evernote does not do that. Evernote only OCRs images to make the search function more powerful.

• Level 5

How to make plain text an evernote note which is already formated. Excuse my french. ; )

Step 1.) Copy your formatted data and paste it into Notepad.

Notepad will convert the formatted data to basic plain text.

Step 2.) Copy the text from Notepad and paste into Evernote.

How to make plain text an evernote note which is already formated. Excuse my french. ; )

Does not seem much than my solution (Cut-Paste special plain text).

All that is very complicated.

• Level 5
Does not seem much than my solution (Cut-Paste special plain text).

All that is very complicated.

Your solution for Cut and Paste with the plain text option is even simpler than my suggestion.

But, if you really think it is too complicated, then a good work-around solution would be to:

1.) Give Evernote the Pink Slip.

2.) Invest in several sheets of white bond paper and a good quality pencil (with an eraser).

• 2 weeks later...
PureText might be of interest. It converts whatever is in the Windows clipboard into plain text as you paste it. I use the keyboard shortcuts, so Ctrl+C to copy as usual, then Windows key+V to paste it in plain text. It's still formatted text on the clipboard so you can also Ctrl+V to paste with formatting if you need to. I use it all the time to paste things into Evernote without bringing across all the formatting/clutter.
PureText might be of interest. It converts whatever is in the Windows clipboard into plain text as you paste it. I use the keyboard shortcuts, so Ctrl+C to copy as usual, then Windows key+V to paste it in plain text. It's still formatted text on the clipboard so you can also Ctrl+V to paste with formatting if you need to. I use it all the time to paste things into Evernote without bringing across all the formatting/clutter.

Perfect! Thanks! : )

Perfect! Thanks! : )

I'm on XP and I can't open the PureText application : /

Edit : It works!! : )

• 4 weeks later...

Except this doesn't work. At least not for me. It's been an issue with Evernote through multiple versions. "Plain text" doesn't necessarily mean plain in Evernote.

Currently, on WinXP, EN for Win 3.1.0.1225 here is the behavior I see:

Open a new note in Evernote. Start typing. Text appears in default font for Evernote that I have set: Arial.

Open Notepad. Start typing. Copy that text. Past into Evernote. What font is your text displayed? Mine is displayed in Courier New. And any hyperlinks don't work. Some might say hyperlinks means it's not Plain Text. And I'd agree with you. But Evernote doesn't act consistently.

This isn't a critical issue like data loss, by any means. It's just annoying, and makes things ugly with mixed fonts. I guess I could change my default font to Courier New, but why should I have to? Seems like every Windows program I have ever used interprets Plain Text to mean NO FORMATTING. And NO FORMATTING means that text - you know, PLAIN text - takes on whatever font/formatting setting in the container it gets pasted into. In a rich text environment, if I've been writing in 48pt Comic Sans Bold, and I paste in a piece of text that is supposed to be NO FORMATTING, well then, I expect that text to be 48pt Comic Sans Bold. AT THE VERY LEAST, pasted Plain Text should inherit the default font settings.

And don't tell me about Ctrl+Shift+V, and bringing up the choices for Paste Special. That isn't a very useful option for those of us with Clipboard utilities where a quick copy and paste is needed, or multiple pastes are desired. It's all I got, so I use it, but it's horribly inefficient.

Oh yeah... after pasting that PLAIN TEXT in my example above - the text copied from Notepad (where there should be no formatting attached - pure ANSI/Unicode, right?) - If I highlight that pasted Plain Text in Evernote, then Paste Special... Plain Text... Guess what? It pastes correctly (All Arial font, hyperlinks working, etc.)

So define Plain Text however you want. But please... be consistent.

Open Notepad. Start typing. Copy that text. Past into Evernote. What font is your text displayed? Mine is displayed in Courier New.

I believe this is fixed in version 3.5 and it takes on the font in use where it's pasted.

The web client contains a "Remove Formatting" button which (I believe) converts the selection into plain text. Unfortunately, the Mac client doesn't have this feature (and it's one I use a lot). It would be great to have this "remove formatting" feature on the Mac.

• 1 month later...

The web interface has a remove formatting button in the toolbar of edit note. But nor the Desktop aplication (MAC) nor the iPhone app does have it. It would be good to have an option to be able to remove the formatting after the note has been made. I usually never paste anything to a new note but use the Clip to Evernote link in the browser or the browser tool in the toolbar.

My bigger problem with formatted texts is that on the iPhone app only non-formatted notes can't be edited.

So please add a Remove formatting button or option to the desktop and the iPhone app.

• 3 months later...
Open Notepad. Start typing. Copy that text. Past into Evernote. What font is your text displayed? Mine is displayed in Courier New.

I believe this is fixed in version 3.5 and it takes on the font in use where it's pasted.

Yes! Even better: you can quickly paste plain text by using Ctrl+Shift+V in EN for Windows. Thanks Evernote! This is a HUUUUGE improvement (for me, at least). Many thanks.

Archived