Setting content uneditable

OK, Here goes for a newbie, firstly I will apologise if this has been covered elsewhere, I have looked but perhaps my search technique leaves a little to be desired!

Anyway what I am trying to do is create a template note that I will copy and reuse (like a meeting note or something). I have just created a note within EN, avoiding formats that iOS might not like, and I'm happy with the layout of the note. What I would now like to do is export the note (which I have done) and using a text editor make minor modifications to the note. I'm quite happy just using a text editor for this! 

The modifications I'm trying to make are to make the headings and subheadings fixed, so I can't accidentally overwrite them when I'm tapping away on my iPad. I had a look at W3schools and have noted a contenteditable="false" should work in HTML but, obviously EN isn't using HTML5 but an XML hybrid (right??).

I have tried simply modifying the  div entries for the text I want to fix to: <div> contenteditable="false"</div> but this just seems to be ignored by EN when I re-import the note.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can, essentially, make a <div> </div> uneditable?

Look forward to getting your feedback (or flames ;-))

btw: I am using Mac OS X Mavericks with EN 5.5.1 and I also want this to work on my iOS devices (not asking much I suppose)

ADGlassby

• Level 5*

Hi - welcome to the forums,  and thank you for a sensible and polite question.  You have successfully avoided the first-posters' two worst mistakes - promising to buy premium if only Evernote will implement some feature that you personally require,  and demanding a feature that has already been discussed to death around the "really isn't likely to happen in any current lifetime" theme.

As regards templates,  there is at least one external app that supports this idea - see the App Centre (link below) - but most (I think) of us lazy types just save notes in a Template notebook,  and use Copy Note to... to generate a new blank note as required.  No prior editing required - if you overtype the wrong thing,  just generate another copy and start again.

Evernote doesn't actually play too well with HTML,  as you've found - the notes are translated into ENML which requires a separate editor - don't have any great experience in creative editing with this;  I've used it occasionally to fix layout.  You may find there are other experts around.

Hope that helps - any further questions,  please feel free to post.

:)

Edit:  Should have stressed - if you're editing notes - 1) make sure you close Evernote completely via File > Exit and 2) backup your database - just in case...

• Level 5*

I have tried simply modifying the  div entries for the text I want to fix to: <div> contenteditable="false"</div> but this just seems to be ignored by EN when I re-import the note.

If you're going to use that attribute, then it would go inside the div tag, not as you wrote it above, like so: <div contenteditable="false">...some content...</div>

Even so, there's no guarantees that Evernote would honor such an attribute. Description of Evernote's internal format is here: https://dev.evernote.com/doc/articles/enml.php. You can use the ENMLEdit tool to edit live notes, as gazumped suggests.

Archived