HOW to Best Convert and Resize JPGs to PNG's ?

Howdy, EN Members:

I restore roof damage and take typically 30 to 45 photos at highest resolution per project, currently using a Samsung Note 2 cell phone.

QUESTION:  Has anyone found an EFFICIENT application or method to convert images stored in EN from JPG's to resized PNG's and then copy the smaller high-resolution PNG's back into EN?

Thanks much in advance for some superdiduper savvy tech solutions!

Alan

• Level 5

Don't store the high res JPG's in Evernote.

Do the resize and conversion before sending them to Evernote.

No sense consuming the Evernote Monthly Upload Allowance for high res photos that will be renamed and resized.

I use ACDSee for my editing, but there are other photo editors that will do the job. Some are free.

Hi Alan,

I am not understanding your process. Are you saying you need both the High Resolution and then later want it compressed? Or you would just want it compressed to begin with?

1) Once the picture is inside an Evernote its going to be a manual process ==> open the pic - compress it, save it, move to next pic, open it compress it save it etc (there is no known batch convert for pic images inside evernote -- that I know of)

2) If you keep the Pics on your camera rol you can Batch Convert on your desk top before you put them into Evernote, Load of free batch convert programs

3)  Not sure about Samsung Note 2  but on the iPhone you can set the image size when you email them to Evernote

It would really be more helpful if you explain your work flow and why you need PNG instead of Jpg etc etc

Howdy, EN Members:

I restore roof damage and take typically 30 to 45 photos at highest resolution per project, currently using a Samsung Note 2 cell phone.

QUESTION:  Has anyone found an EFFICIENT application or method to convert images stored in EN from JPG's to resized PNG's and then copy the smaller high-resolution PNG's back into EN?

Thanks much in advance for some superdiduper savvy tech solutions!

Alan

Hi Alan,

I am not understanding your process. Are you saying you need both the High Resolution and then later want it compressed? Or you would just want it compressed to begin with?

1) Once the picture is inside an Evernote its going to be a manual process ==> open the pic - compress it, save it, move to next pic, open it compress it save it etc (there is no known batch convert for pic images inside evernote -- that I know of)

2) If you keep the Pics on your camera rol you can Batch Convert on your desk top before you put them into Evernote, Load of free batch convert programs

3)  Not sure about Samsung Note 2  but on the iPhone you can set the image size when you email them to Evernote

It would really be more helpful if you explain your work flow and why you need PNG instead of Jpg etc etc

Howdy, John:

I will take 30 to 40 photos of a property's roof damage with my Samsung Note 2 cell phone at max. resolution.

Since EN limits each note to 100MB, 40 photos can easily use up this space limitation... therefore high-quality compression is an option I'm looking into.

Part of the problem appears to be that EN creates (2) images for each photos - (1) high res and (1) lower res.

Any practical recommendations?

Thanks much in advance for any superdiduper savvy tech solutions!

Alan

Hmmmm ok . . . I am still not understanding what you are trying to do.

Let's assume you want the highest resolution you can possibly get in the evernote files (only its compressed to an acceptable rate)

1) take your 40 pictures in the field with phone at max Resolution

2) take phone back to offce, use patch cord to copy the 40 pictures into  Folder_Max_Pictures_2014-07-23

3) Use a batch Program to take all the pictures in said folder, compress them, and change the file format to PNG and put compressed pictures into Folder_Compressed_Pictures_2014-07-23

(A batch program should do this automatically)

4) Now go to Tools (from top menu) -> Import Folders -> Add -> (this will take you to the folders on your hard drive and select the Folder_Compressed_Pictures_2014-07-23)

Evernote will now import automatically all the pictures putting each picture in its own note and naming it whatever name you have for the pictures

Try searching the internet for a Free Compression program , maybe JohnZ's recommendation above  will do it

(Edit)

Synching on this is going to eat up bandwidth like crazy, Do you really need to have huge picture files from a job a year ago on your phone?

How about just having a Hyperlink to a hard drive folder from your Evernote Job Sheet

Example

Job Sheet, Joe Blow, 135 Holly St, Jul 2014, $4,000.00

[contact information]

links to Invoice Note

Link to Contract Note

Links to Desk Top Hard Drive folder of Pictures (which you can only use when you are at your desk top)

1 or two much smaller compressed picture of what you did before and after pic maybe

You can use the Evernote app called Skitch to do that. Bonus = It's integrated into Evernote.

http://evernote.com/skitch/

Skitch is a nice app, but does it do what the original post requested?

1. Reduce the size of the photo (not crop)
  2. Change format to from .JPG to .PNG

My understanding is SKITCH does not have these capabilities.

Alan

Well . . . . we have answered the question

1. Reduce the size of the photo (not crop)
  2. Change format to from .JPG to .PNG

John Z's  ttp://www.faststone...sizerDetail.htm  will do that, Photoshop will do that, GIMP (which is free) will do that, Microsoft Paint (which is already on windows desktops will do that

Evernote Sketch you can change how you save "Save As" to BMP, Jpg, PNG, TIFF but it won't let you control compression rates

Of the free programs GIMP lets you have a lot of control on compression rates

Archived