Search Syntax: small question

fredhammersmith

I have got an handle how to work with Evernote in my workflow, using tags more and more (and notebooks, less and less).

But i don't seem to use the Search Syntax the right way.

How can I get Evernote to filter my notes this way:

NOTEBOOK Location 5 AND (TAG Contacts OR TAG Permits)

or something like

NOTEBOOK Location 5 OR Location 6 (MINUS TAG Pictures)

for instance.

it is possible, right? It has to be!  :)

• Level 5*

For the first search, change the search parameter to All from Any.  If you toggle display search results you should see the drop down following matching.

For the second search, the only way I know to do that is to have the two notebooks in a stack (assuming location 5 is the name of your notebook).  Which is okay if it is always those two notebooks you want, not so much otherwise. 

Thanks, work great.

What about the Minus criteria?

Let us say:

NOTEBOOK 5 TAG:"Streets" but without TAG:"Archives"?

(i use the Archives tag a lot, but I really think that two switches should be implemented in Evernote: Favorites and Archives. Would be very helpful to just turn on/off these two switches, depeing on our needs.

• Level 5*

Sure on the minus criteria.  Notebook 5 tag:streets -tag:archives should return all notes in Notebook 5 that contain the tag streets eliminating those that contain the tag archives.

Relative to favorites and archive switches you could try an enhancement request I suppose, search the forum see what you get.  There are so many different workflows that folks create, might be hard to create a standard.  Saved searches and tags or an archive notebook are alternatives. 

• Level 5*

or something like

Not possible, as csihilling says: In terms of the search syntax, you're specifying a "scope modifier", and that can only be a single notebook, or a single stack (a collection of notebooks), or nothing (all notebooks). See the Evernote Search Grammar document (https://dev.evernote.com/doc/articles/search_grammar.php#Search_Terms). The article doesn't mention stacks, but stacks can be used as scope modifier in all Evernote clients, as far as I know.

• Level 5*

I have got an handle how to work with Evernote in my workflow, using tags more and more (and notebooks, less and less).

But i don't seem to use the Search Syntax the right way.

How can I get Evernote to filter my notes this way:

NOTEBOOK Location 5 AND (TAG Contacts OR TAG Permits)

or something like

for instance.

it is possible, right? It has to be!  :)

What you are asking for is boolean search, which is not possible today in Evernote.

Yes, there are a few workarounds, but EN does not have full Boolean search.

We have been asking for this for YEARS, and you provide yet another great example of why it is needed.

Archived