Evernote without the cloud?

I'm interested in using Evernote..but uncomfortable with downloading my  information to a server (cloud)

Is it possible to sync between Evernote and my PC without having to go through the cloud?

....I'm willing to pay for this option.

thanks

Jeff

No this is not possible with Evernote, not even if you pay. 

There are other options like DEVONThink, or things like Notational Velocity (and the whole family such as NValt) that works with plaintext notes. You could perhaps manually transfer these or use a well-respected secure sync service like SpiderOak. 

Unfortunately, Evernote is all about the cloud. It is not a solution for someone who wants local sync only. Given how much of Evernote's services rely on server-side processing, I am not optimistic that we'll see this fulfilled by Evernote any time soon. 

That being said, this is a good request and a perfectly valid need, but I suspect you might be barking up the wrong tree. 

Edited -- Scott beat me to the answer but here is mine anyway

-----------

You question is a bit vague "between Evernote and my PC" -- what do you mean by "Evernote"?  

Evernote account IS the cloud -- by definition

Lets say what your trying to ask is can you synch a locally saved only notebook (not in the cloud) that is on your Desktop with your Laptop  where you also run Evernote which you want to take to work or on the road

Synch is not the right word -- you can, however, manually copy over the database files to your laptop-- not easily

A) you can Export the Notebook "Export Notes"

B) then Import said Exported notes to Laptop

Can you put do that  with your phone?   Not that I know of

Or you can just copy over the whole Desktop database to yourr laptop --

On windows go to your Database files C:\Users\USER\AppData\Local\Evernote\Evernote\Databases

1) Copy call the ALL the Database folder files onto external Hard drive

.accounts

.sessiondata

.exb

.exb.activitylog

.exb.cardview.snippets

.exb.context

etc etc

Take External Hard Drive to Laptop

2) wipe out the new files in the Database Folder of the Laptop

3) copy over your saved backup files to this folder from the external Hard Drive

you are good to go --

• Level 5*

In addition to what has already been said, I'll add that the PC environment appears to have fewer options for syncing notes across devices, especially if you are planning to avoid the cloud (someone else's servers). Even OneNote is part of the cloud these days, though I believe you might be able to work around this by saving locally and manually transferring the database from one computer to another.

Even on the Mac, the cloud is built into just about everything these days. I would say DEVONthink is probably the best option for the security-conscious who want to avoid the cloud. I am pretty impressed with it. You can sync to and from your iPad through your wifi network quite easily, and the app handles massive amounts of data. The downside is that the iOS app is in desperate need of an update and using DEVONthink you can only sync with other Apple stuff. By the way, using the "index" feature, you can actually do your work in another app (like nvALT) and manipulate the data using DEVONthink -- it's pretty nifty.

In short, if you want an app that works smoothly on mobile and desktop no matter what operating system you use, Evernote is the best solution. You have to trade some security for convenience, though.

I hope that Evernote will develop better encryption options (like zero-knowledge encrypted notebooks), and I think such a thing is possible, but I very much doubt they will ever develop something for you to sync (through wifi, for example) without the cloud. It is a cloud service.

I"Evernote account IS the cloud -- by definition"

I see.. So what you're saying is that the core information/ program  is in the cloud, in that when working in Evernote, you're essentially working on their server....  without an internet connection ,one would not be able to access their files?

...I'm just looking for a simple note taking app  ( one that allows for 100 + tag categories) that i can use localy between my Android phone and desktop.

Thanks for all the replies.

I"Evernote account IS the cloud -- by definition"

I see.. So what you're saying is that the core information/ program  is in the cloud, in that when working in Evernote, you're essentially working on their server....  without an internet connection ,one would not be able to access their files?

...I'm just looking for a simple note taking app  ( one that allows for 100 + tag categories) that i can use localy between my Android phone and desktop.

Thanks for all the replies.

No sorry, I wasn't very clear.

I suppose you could have your entire database on your desktop in an un-synched notebook, or in multiple un-synched notebooks and it would work as a stand alone database -- as far as I know. I mean I have un-synced notebooks and I can search those notes, edit them tag them, it all works without being connected

but to get your desktop to synch with your Android -- shrugs -- I think  you need the Evernote servers

• Level 5*

In order to work on Android, you need to go through Evernote's servers. If you are Premium customer, you can access those notes offline. Mobile devices are a real pain to sync without the cloud. If security is necessary, I'd recommend DEVONthink or VoodooPad, but those are only iOS. For Android? I am not aware of anything. It really is a category of services that could benefit from more development. Frankly, it is a daily frustration for me.

Anyhow, if you can accept the security conditions with Evernote (basically, as secure as you'll find with Dropbox or most other cloud services), then Evernote really is the best app for syncing among devices. 

• Level 5*

Thanks again for the responces..  I guess i'll just download the app and see how it works out..

cheers

Jeff

I really don't know of any other app that works so seamlessly across different devices. I think you will be quite pleased with its performance. But, if you have any questions, let us know!

• 11 months later...

lol! Someone was wondering when they might develop 'encryption'!  Are people so naive that they don't realise that the only reason this application is developed is to sell your data onto others?  The irony is that if you buy the premium version - you are paying them to sell your data.  Hey what an excellent business model.

• Level 5*

lol! Someone was wondering when they might develop 'encryption'!  Are people so naive that they don't realise that the only reason this application is developed is to sell your data onto others?  The irony is that if you buy the premium version - you are paying them to sell your data.  Hey what an excellent business model.

where did you hear this? evernote clearly explains in their policies that they have not, do not, and will not mine your data.

• Level 5*

To support what GM just said:

Evernote Privacy Policy

Does Evernote Share My Personal Information or Content?

Evernote is not in the business of selling or renting your information.

Outside of actions you take within the Service to communicate via Work Chat, to share notes or notebooks, or to authorize third-party applications, we only disclose your information - and then only the minimum information necessary - when:

Archived