Default tag for each Evernote Application

Joe L

I currently tag my work related notes @Work and my home related notes @Home etc. (Using GTD http://www.thesecretweapon.org/). I really love this method. But one thing that I noticed is that almost all my Work notes are entered on my Work computer and almost all my home notes are entered on my home computer. Is there a way that I can make my work computer default all new notes that it makes to be tagged with @Work and my home computer to default all new notes to @Home.

One further thought: With mobile devices it would be awesome if you could assign default tags based on location. Is this possible?

Thank you.

Joe 

I currently tag my work related notes @Work and my home related notes @Home etc. (Using GTD http://www.thesecretweapon.org/). I really love this method. But one thing that I noticed is that almost all my Work notes are entered on my Work computer and almost all my home notes are entered on my home computer. Is there a way that I can make my work computer default all new notes that it makes to be tagged with @Work and my home computer to default all new notes to @Home.

One further thought: With mobile devices it would be awesome if you could assign default tags based on location. Is this possible?

Thank you.

Joe 

Don't know of any way to accomplish the first request. 

The second request is usually done automatically. As long as you grant Evernote permission to access your location when you are prompted, your notes should all be geotagged. 

Screenshot of "Atlas" on the desktop application ("places" on iOS):

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s25/sh/d84ff44d-7282-4540-b83d-b45b4d9da3f7/29440d17a3e29c394750405a855592da

Thanks Unintelligentsia,

The Geotag is not quite what I am asking. For example it would be awesome if I could configure Evernote to add the default tag of @Work if I was within a certain distance of my work.

This way 95% of the time I would not need to add the tag. only for example if I think about something I need to do when I get home would I need to change the tag.

Thanks again.

Ah, I see. 

This doesn't seem to be possible but it is an interesting request. 

There are a number of very imperfect workarounds, including using the geographic information to select notes created in certain locations (such as your work) and then bulk tag them yourself. This doesn't necessarily help if you created the note on a device that doesn't provide location info... 

Since you are posting in the Windows Section, I will refer to that.

There is a registry setting, that allows you to select a tag and then when you create notes while the tag is selected, they will be applied.

So, a slight workaround, but you could have a tag in your shortcuts and select that before creating new notes.

https://www.evernote.com/pub/spgscott/evernote5help#st=p&n=b23d4465-0844-41b6-a33f-0dbc57cfebfd

Look for SetNewNoteTags

Scott

Joe L - 

In regard to assigning a Tag based on what computer a Note was created on, here's a work-around. It's a variation of the "bulk tagging" that Scott referred to. (The steps below apply to the Windows version of EN.)

One time - On both your work and home computers, create a "Saved Search" that finds all Notes created "today". (I believe the code for the search will be "created:day", no quotes, no spaces).

Each day (before the end of the day), execute the "Saved Search". From the list of Notes that shows up, select the ones that were created on your work computer and drag them to the Tag on your list of Tags that you want to assign to them. EN will assign that Tag automatically to all of them. Similarly, select the Notes that you created that day on your home computer and and drag them to the appropriate Tag.

If you did not sync either of your computers beforehand, you will need to go through the steps above on each computer.

In regard to assigning a Tag based on location, if you select "List" view, you can control which columns are visible. If not already showing, add the column "Address" to the list. As best as I can tell, this is the street address, city, state, and zip where the Note was created on your mobile device. While I don't think you can modify it, you may find it effective to "bulk tag" Notes based on the "Address" values. - - - By the same token, consider conceptually think of the "Address" values as Tags. I don't think you can search on the values, but you can sort the list on the values and then select all Notes with a common Tag and do with them what you want.

I hope you find some of this to be helpful.

Hey Joel I think I might have am option for you

1) Make a template for the office that already has a Tag @Offfice

2) Put said Template on your desktop,

double click that for new note will open with the tag already set. I have tried it and its an awesome trick. Here is the link on how to do it

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/37633-templates-in-evernote-one-more-time-now-with-solution/

Thank you.

Joe 

Joe L - Here's another approach that works on the Windows version of EN.

One time:

• Create a new Note that includes the Tag(s) that you want (like @work).
  • Add a generic Title to it, like "Template for Work Notes".
  • Fill in the body of the Note with any information that you commonly use in your work Notes.
  • Set values for any other Note Attributes (meta data) like URL, Location, Author.

Now, when you want to create a new Note on your work computer:

• Right-click on that template Note and select "Copy to Notebook". A list of your Notebooks will pop up.
  • Check off the box that says "Preserve Tabs".
  • Select your Notebook where you want the copy to be placed.
  • Click on "Copy".

Of course, if you are only interested in adding the Tag @work to a new Note that you create on your work computer (and similarly for home), it's tough for any approach (including the 2 I've offered) to be more efficient than merely creating a new Note, "Click to Add Tag", and start typing the characters @work. EN will fill in the rest of the Tag when you select it from the list that may pop up.

Thank you All for the great workarounds! I will definitely use these! 

However I still want to put my two cents behind added default tagging based on application (Desktop Client) and location (Mobile Client).

Thank you All!

Archived