Web Clipper Update Broke Chrome

Alanray10818

My web clipper will not allow me to use Chrome. When I first opened Chrome this morning, I received a popup that states:

This version of Evernote Web  Clipper is no longer compatible with Evernote Service. Please install the latest version.

However, it won't go away when I click "OK" or close the dialogue box. It also doesn't resolve itself by force-closing Chrome and reopening. It basically disables my ability to use the browser, which makes me wonder how in the world I'm supposed to update the web clipper?

Is there a fix for this? My productivity is suffering every minute I can't use that browser. (Attaching photo of notification)

Thanks,

Alan

post-211293-0-44179100-1405689593_thumb.

My web clipper will not allow me to use Chrome. When I first opened Chrome this morning, I received a popup that states:

This version of Evernote Web  Clipper is no longer compatible with Evernote Service. Please install the latest version.

However, it won't go away when I click "OK" or close the dialogue box. It also doesn't resolve itself by force-closing Chrome and reopening. It basically disables my ability to use the browser, which makes me wonder how in the world I'm supposed to update the web clipper?

Is there a fix for this? My productivity is suffering every minute I can't use that browser. (Attaching photo of notification)

Thanks,

Alan

Have you tried ticking the "prevent this page..." box & then clicking "ok"?

I just uninstalled Chrome and reinstalled it. Please let me know if this is a known issue, and if a fix has been put out so I can re-install the web clipper.

Thanks!

I don't know. This is a users board. I don't work for EN.

Yes we're aware of this problem and working on a fix. Thx for reporting it.

Other affected users have had success uninstalling then reinstalling the clipper.

I confirmed that uninstalling and and reinstalling the clipper solved my problem. web clipper is working again.

Other affected users have had success uninstalling then reinstalling the clipper.

I confirmed that uninstalling and and reinstalling the clipper solved my problem. web clipper is working again.

I, too, found that this fix worked...deleting the extension and then reinstalling it.

I, too, found that this fix worked...deleting the extension and then reinstalling it.

I did the same. Initially this fix worked, but now the issue is back again. 

I also have tried uninstalling and re-installing and still get this aggressive popup.

I can't find any extensions, and maybe that is part of the problem?

Idiot instructions on EXACTLY what to do to install/reinstall would be really helpful if anyone is willing...  

I also have tried uninstalling and re-installing and still get this aggressive popup.

I can't find any extensions, and maybe that is part of the problem?

Idiot instructions on EXACTLY what to do to install/reinstall would be really helpful if anyone is willing...  

This idiot is happy to respond. :-)

In Chrome, click on the "Customize and Control Google Chrome" icon in the top right corner of the screen. The icon consists of three lines stacked on top of each other and sits to the right of the line that displays the current web page address. Click on "Tools," and then "Extensions." Scroll down to "Evernote Web Clipper" and click on the garbage can icon. This will delete the Web Clipper extension. Then go to http://evernote.com/webclipper/ and download the extension. That should be all you need to do. For some of us, this has resolved the problem with the popup. For others, not. But it's worth a try! (BTW, I did not have to exit and restart Chrome before reinstalling, but it probably wouldn't hurt.)

Hope that helps!

Southside has said it. The popup won't allow me to so much as type a single character in the address bar. The ONLY thing I could do was uninstall the browser. When reinstalling it, the extension was still there, since it's chrome, but I wasn't signed in. I deleted the extension as quick as possible and won't reinstall until news of an actual fix arrives. I reiterate my most recent question. Is there a link to the official progress of this bugs fix?

This work around does work but not for long.... I "fixed" the popup yesterday and was one of the first to post the fix (as far as I know) but am embarrassed to say that I was wrong. This morning the pop up is back and more aggressive than ever. Super annoying! EN and Chrome now are incompatible and this issue has now cost me hours of frustration. Please ask your team to fix this. Thanks in advance.

Chrome's warning "This version of Evernote Web  Clipper is no longer compatible ..." also presents a checkbox to prevent continuous re-appearing of the alert, thus 'freezing' the browser. Maybe this checkbox is new (as former commenters here didn't seem to have noticed it). The alert may still re-appear a few times, so you may have to check that box a few more times and click okay. I had no trouble with it. Then disable Evernote for a couple of days. In my humble opinion it's not life-threatening.

This is a very nasty bug. It prevent me from doing anything beside closing Chrome by force. Next time you put a popup in the extensions, make sure it will not be annoying as hell. I'm uninstalling the extensions and probably will never use it again and might consider moving all my notes somewhere else. 

FYI, google chrome extensions will automatically updated to newest versions silently. Other extensions developer do this every time they updated their features. Update extensions first, then update your website. Always test any update internally before releasing it into the live production. Annoyed user is bad for business.

We just released a fix to patch this error popup. 

Users should get auto updated to the latest version 6.2.1 which has the fix applied either in the background or on Chrome restart. 

To force updates manually:

1) Visit chrome://extensions and set it to developer mode and push the button 'Update Extensions Now' at the top of the page. 

And then verify you are running 6.2.1

Sorry for the inconvenience. 

We just released a fix to patch this error popup. 
Users should get auto updated to the latest version 6.2.1 which has the fix applied either in the background or on Chrome restart. 

To force updates manually:
1) Visit chrome://extensions and set it to developer mode and push the button 'Update Extensions Now' at the top of the page. 

And then verify you are running 6.2.1

Sorry for the inconvenience. 

I did step 1 and restarted, and now it seems to work perfectly again :)

Thanks, PhapChan.  Worked for me.  Charon_xxx

I did the same. Initially this fix worked, but now the issue is back again. 

This is what worked for me:

1. move the pop-up window to the upper right-hand corner in Chrome. Close to the 3 horizontal bars "Customize and control Google Chrome"

2. click into the check-box popup and very quickly after that, click onto the 3 horizontal bars in the upper right-hand corner in Chrome. You need to be fast, touch-screen helped me, I guess. Took me more than 10 attempts until I clicked the second box fast enough to open the menu.

3. Once the menu is open, the popup did not block my actions. Navigate to 'Settings' and 'Extensions' and un-check Evernote Web clipper 'Enabled'.

Popup gone.

Regards

Hi. I had this problem. My fix is:

1. Open Chrome using "incognito" mode. This will allow you to access the settings button and uninstall the web clipper.

2. If you don't know how to open Chrome using "incognito" mode..... create a short cut to chrome and pin that short cut to your task bar. Once it is on your task bar, just right click and in the context menu you will see "incognito" mode. Click that.

All the best.

Archived