Justin Street

Hello,

We've just posted a new Beta.

This release includes:
  • Sync improvements
  • Improved client responsiveness
  • Performance improvements
  • Various bug fixes

Please try it out and let us know what you think.

Thanks!

You can opt into beta's by going to Tools >> Options and checking [ ] Update to pre-release version when available

You can also download directly here: http://cdn1.evernote.com/win5/prerelease/Evernote_5.5.2.4142.exe

• Level 5*

In what areas should one be looking for improved client responsiveness and performance improvements?

This release includes:

• Sync improvements
  • Improved client responsiveness
  • Performance improvements
  • Various bug fixes
  • Level 5*

Hello.

It seems that for me, Evernote completely freezes with a critical error window popping.  Can't even send the critical error log due to that everything considering Evernote freezes.  Hope it gets fixed before the release.

Thanks.

What does the error window say? What were you doing before the error occurred? Is it occurring with just this beta, or are you using an earlier version?

I also wonder if anyone else has experienced and reported this with the latest beta?

• Level 5*

Just went ahead and installed it anyway. Seems to be working OK at the moment. Horizontal shortcut bar is working better, speed-wise. Would love to be able to access the "Tags" and "Notebook" buttons from the left panel through the shortcut bar. No way to add them at the moment. I can add individual notebooks and tags, but not the "master" button.

• Level 5*

Perhaps it is just me, but this evening 

1. 2 fatal errors
  2. 8 not respondings (and never coming back so a kill and restart).  In the most recent not responding I was simply editing a note title.
  3. A notebook name appeared on the Web with no notes in it that is the same name as a local.  I was able to delete it on the web.

My mission was some tag clean up and organizing as well as moving notes between notebooks, mostly moving them from synced to unsynced (only 4 notebooks in play, many tags).  It has been a struggle.  Anyone else with similar issues? 

Addendum 7:18 a.m.

I left EN grinding in sync mode last night.  When I got up this morning it turned out that deleting that notebook on the web (with not notes) with the same name as a local notebook eventually deleted the local noitebook of that name.  What the hell!?!  

Fortunately I made enex copies of all my notebook before and after all of the changes from last night.  I just attempted to import the enex for that notebook and EN cratered after 1721 notes of 5648.  I'm going to give it one more try to import before I blitz it all and reload.  I might reload after that anyway, don't have a clue what got corrupted herein.  I'm also pasting this into a trouble ticket.

Import died again, got to 2309 this time, with

Could not import notes, error: COMMIT_FAILED (Can't save uid=91506, error :out of memory)  Please report this problem to Evernote support.

8GM machine with nothing but EN running, hmmm.

ADDENDUM 8:00 am

Entire notebook imported on the third try.  Moved it to it's stack.  We'll see.

Hello.

It seems that for me, Evernote completely freezes with a critical error window popping.  Can't even send the critical error log due to that everything considering Evernote freezes.  Hope it gets fixed before the release.

Thanks.

What does the error window say? What were you doing before the error occurred? Is it occurring with just this beta, or are you using an earlier version?

I also wonder if anyone else has experienced and reported this with the latest beta?

Sorry that I forgot to write about what I was doing.  I just synced.  Thats it.  After I pushed the sync button, wait about 2 minutes then the fatal error window pops up and Evernote and the pop up window freezed completely.  I occoured only on this 5.2.2.RC

I'm currently having a big trouble with syncing since I have about 90,000 notes.  I'm trying to have a full sync since I had to completely delete and reinstall, but stuck not getting it there yet.

Thanks.

• Level 5

I just upgraded to the public version 5.5.2.4187 (272187).

The Horizontal Short Cut bar (a.k.a. Favorite Bar) has returned !
Yeah!

Now I can hide the left panel again (F10), view tons of content with the Vertical List View, and still have 100% access to my short cuts all the time. Thanks for bringing it back.

• Level 5*

Ditto on the just upgraded.  And I am seeing some significant speed increase when doing searches, whether toggling to tag search or keying into the search bar.  No lag at all as there was before.  Very nice.

• Level 5*

Perhaps it is just me, but this evening 

1. 2 fatal errors
  2. 8 not respondings (and never coming back so a kill and restart).  In the most recent not responding I was simply editing a note title.
  3. A notebook name appeared on the Web with no notes in it that is the same name as a local.  I was able to delete it on the web.

My mission was some tag clean up and organizing as well as moving notes between notebooks, mostly moving them from synced to unsynced (only 4 notebooks in play, many tags).  It has been a struggle.  Anyone else with similar issues? 

Addendum 7:18 a.m.

I left EN grinding in sync mode last night.  When I got up this morning it turned out that deleting that notebook on the web (with not notes) with the same name as a local notebook eventually deleted the local noitebook of that name.  What the hell!?!  

Fortunately I made enex copies of all my notebook before and after all of the changes from last night.  I just attempted to import the enex for that notebook and EN cratered after 1721 notes of 5648.  I'm going to give it one more try to import before I blitz it all and reload.  I might reload after that anyway, don't have a clue what got corrupted herein.  I'm also pasting this into a trouble ticket.

Import died again, got to 2309 this time, with

Could not import notes, error: COMMIT_FAILED (Can't save uid=91506, error :out of memory)  Please report this problem to Evernote support.

8GM machine with nothing but EN running, hmmm.

ADDENDUM 8:00 am

Entire notebook imported on the third try.  Moved it to it's stack.  We'll see.

ADDENDUM:

The above truly did happen.  I'm thinking it is a true fringe case.  A couple of crashes, 8 forced closes, thousands of note moves synced to local, many tag changes including adds and deletes, and an empty notebook with the name of a local notebook appears on the web and later that local notebook disappears after deleting the empty same name notebook on the web.  Since the import of the enex backup of that notebook everything has been fine.  Support has a ticket.  

Archived