Moved a Penultimate Notebook to Another Evernote Notebook and Now it's Not in Penultimate

Sunshine3517

I am fairly new to Evernote and Penultimate but I am a Premium user. I created a notebook in Penultimate. It synced correctly into my Evernote account into the Penultimate notebook. However, I wanted it to be in a shared Evernote folder so I moved it. However, then I couldn't see the notebook in Penultimate. So I moved it back to the Penultimate Evernote notebook but I still can't see it in Penultimate. How can I find this penultimate notebook and open it again in Penultimate?

Not entirely sure how to return the content to Penultimate. It would seem, on the face of it, that putting the Evernote Note that contained that Penultimate Notebook (confusing isn't it!) back into the Evernote notebooks called "Penultimate" (Have you lost your mind yet?) should do the trick. Since it hasn't done that, I'm not entirely sure what the solution is. 

But the moral of the story, unfortunately, is that Penultimate only saves content to Evernote, it cannot retrieve content from Evernote, so it is a one way street. Further, Penultimate can only save into its own dedicated Evernote notebook.

To share the content, you might consider using Evernote to save the penultimate page/pages as images and stick those images into the shared notebook. These can't be edited (though they can be annotated), they will at least be viewable and the text will be searchable. This also means the original still exists in the Penultimate notebook if you want to modify it in penultimate again. 

One thought:

Since you are a premium user, you have something called "note history"

In Evernote on the web or desktop, find the Evernote note that contains the Penultimate notebook.... this is the Evernote note you moved. 

Move that note back to the "Penultimate" Notebooks in Evernote - Which you have already done. 

Click on Note in the menu bar and select "note history", and you can try and bring back an old version of the note before you moved it out of the notebook. 

Worth a shot at least!

I'm so glad you were able to understand my post! I just logged into my account through the web and found the Note History but there was only the "Current" version available. It was worth a shot though. So thank you.

Any other ideas before I rewrite about 20 pages of notes?

It does see like I should be able to alter a Penultimate document within Penultimate regardless of where it is in Evernote. Anyone else want this functionality?

I certainly think a more thorough integration of Penultimate would be ideal. 

I don't know why you'd have to re-write 20 pages of notes, it sounds like you still have those notes, just not accessible through Penultimate. You can still see them from within the Evernote application, and their contents will still be searchable. Given that, I don't see much benefit from re-writing those notes. 

I just tried to reproduce what you experienced and I had a different outcome from you, so I am not sure what you did differently. What version of Penultimate are you using? What version and on what device are you using Evernote?

Here are my steps and my experience:

1) I have three notebooks in Penultimate: Notebook A; Notebook B; Notebook C. 

2) In Evernote, I have the "Penultimate" notebook which contains three notes: Notebook A; Notebook B; Notebook C.

3) In Evernote, I MOVED the note "Notebook A" (which corresponds to Notebook A in Penultimate) to my "Personal" notebook in Evernote. 

Expected:

Notebook A should no longer be visible in the Penultimate application since I have moved it outside of the "Penultimate" notebook.

Actual:

Notebook A is STILL AVAILABLE in Penultimate. Not only is it still available, if I do some writing or drawing in Notebook A in Penultimate, those changes are reflected in Evernote, even though it is outside of the "Penultimate" Notebook. 

I am not sure why you observed different behaviour. Was your process the same as mine? 

Hmmm... Interesting that you had a different outcome. My process was only slightly different than yours. Specifically, in your Step 3 when I moved the Notebook A, I moved it to a shared Evernote Notebook than was owned/created/shared by my husband. That is the only difference I can see. When it disappeared from my Penultimate app, I then moved it back into my Evernote Penultimate notebook but I have never been able to see it in Penultimate again. I need to copy my notes over because I was in the middle of creating Punch Lists for a construction project and I was still adding, deleting, and moving items around. It won't take me too long but I'm trying to understand how Evernote and Penultimate work so I don't make this mistake again.

Also, I did this all through the iPad app. Perhaps there is a difference there?

Thanks again for your help!

I don't think the iPad is the factor here, I think it might be because you moved the Evernote Note containing the Penultimate Notebook (ugh) to a shared notebook that you don't own. I don't have the ability to test that myself to see if that is the issue, but that is the stand-out difference as far as I can tell. 

I'd recommend my workaround of saving the Penultimate pages as an image and adding that image to the shared notebook, preserving the original penultimate content, until some better method comes along. Not really an elegant solution, but it is all that comes to my mind at the moment!

I certainly think a more thorough integration of Penultimate would be ideal. 

I don't know why you'd have to re-write 20 pages of notes, it sounds like you still have those notes, just not accessible through Penultimate. You can still see them from within the Evernote application, and their contents will still be searchable. Given that, I don't see much benefit from re-writing those notes. 

I just tried to reproduce what you experienced and I had a different outcome from you, so I am not sure what you did differently. What version of Penultimate are you using? What version and on what device are you using Evernote?

Here are my steps and my experience:

1) I have three notebooks in Penultimate: Notebook A; Notebook B; Notebook C. 

2) In Evernote, I have the "Penultimate" notebook which contains three notes: Notebook A; Notebook B; Notebook C.

3) In Evernote, I MOVED the note "Notebook A" (which corresponds to Notebook A in Penultimate) to my "Personal" notebook in Evernote. 

Expected:

Notebook A should no longer be visible in the Penultimate application since I have moved it outside of the "Penultimate" notebook.

Actual:

Notebook A is STILL AVAILABLE in Penultimate. Not only is it still available, if I do some writing or drawing in Notebook A in Penultimate, those changes are reflected in Evernote, even though it is outside of the "Penultimate" Notebook. 

I am not sure why you observed different behaviour. Was your process the same as mine? 

Scott,

Through shear rookie ignorance when I started using Penultimate (having ditched Noteshelf due to the 'seamless integration' of EN and Penultimate) I dragged Penultimate notes into different notebooks per the topic.  The notes persisted in Penultimate and were still editable, etc.  I only keep a couple of generic notes in the default Penultimate folder.

However, I'm wondering is this is a source of problems.  I've had my Windows EN client hang up 3 times over the last 3 weeks and could not get it to sync.  Being premium I opened a ticket.  After an unbelievable 2+ weeks of trying different solutions it was determined that a Penultimate note was corrupted and the cause of the problem.  Unfortunately I'm in the middle of another similar issue (and still waiting for technical support to respond to the open ticket).  I tried deleting the only Penultimate note I've changed recently, but that didn't resolve things so will have to wait and see if that is the issue. 

Strange, and unfortunately beyond what me as a fellow user is capable of troubleshooting. As slow going as it seems to be I'm going to have to duck out and leave you in Support's hands.... or another fellow user who pops in who has first-hand experience with this issue!

After frustration of Support's slow response (last time with this issue it took them 6 days to get back to me), I worked on decoding my current Activity Log in comparison to the one I had when I knew the solution.  Long story short - found an image note that was not syncing.  I deleted it, then removed it from the trash and was able to sync.  Nothing to do with Penultimate this time! (Still wish it was as powerful as Noteshelf, but enjoy the seamless syncing of Penultimate to EN more than remembering to save each individual page from Noteshelf to EN.)

Archived