Horrifying "Restore Deleted Notes" accident!

Usually you hear horror stories of people losing data because they didn't backup, but in my case, my horror story is due to a slip of the mouse, and I accidentally selected "Restore Deleted Notes" when right-clicking on the Evernote "Trash", instead of "Empty Trash".

Now I am staring in horror, watching Evernote restore hundreds of deleted and redundant notes to my account, because the "Restore Deleted Notes" option does not warn you that it's about to restore the deleted notes and give you an option to abort the operation. 

I dont suppose there is any way to "undo" a "Restore Deleted Notes" operation, is there?

If not, I would like to submit a formal Feature Request to the Evernote Mac development team to implement a modal warning dialog box to this feature, so as to avoid mistakes like this.

Either that, or implement a user-definable "Empty Trash after xx days/hours/weeks" option, so the magnitude of making such an error won't be as bad as accidentally restoring notes from an infinitely non-expiring Trash folder.

• Level 5*

Ouch.  That sounds annoying.  Is there any way to identify your restored notes by 'updated date'?  Or have they simply been reinstated exactly as they were - dates included - on the day they were deleted?

Probably too late now,  but if you're doing this in the desktop version you could have prevented the PC syncing with the server so your original notes were preserved,  though there might have been some processing to do to ensure that any unsynced or local notes weren't lost.  In an ideal situation you could have refreshed the database from the server,  or maybe tagged all your existing notes with something random via another device,  allow the sync (both ways) and then deleting any untagged notes...  again...

Anyway - a good feature request.

Usually you hear horror stories of people losing data because they didn't backup, but in my case, my horror story is due to a slip of the mouse, and I accidentally selected "Restore Deleted Notes" when right-clicking on the Evernote "Trash", instead of "Empty Trash".

Now I am staring in horror, watching Evernote restore hundreds of deleted and redundant notes to my account, because the "Restore Deleted Notes" option does not warn you that it's about to restore the deleted notes and give you an option to abort the operation. 

I dont suppose there is any way to "undo" a "Restore Deleted Notes" operation, is there?

If not, I would like to submit a formal Feature Request to the Evernote Mac development team to implement a modal warning dialog box to this feature, so as to avoid mistakes like this.

Either that, or implement a user-definable "Empty Trash after xx days/hours/weeks" option, so the magnitude of making such an error won't be as bad as accidentally restoring notes from an infinitely non-expiring Trash folder.

I rarely empty trash, but when I do, I make a backup first.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Same exact situation. Incredibly frustrating. Please add a confirmation dialog.

I was able to disconnect from the internet before the notes synced (thanks to this thread). I then Force-quit Evernote. When I reopened it, the notes that had been restored were only local and were all in a signle notebook (with the name of the restore file). I deleted the notes and notebook, then went back online and synced. In my case, disaster narrowly averted.

An action this significant really, really should be confirmed. Thanks!

• 1 year later...

I know this is really old but this might help someone in the future.  Try viewing all notes (not notebooks) then using sort by date updated, reverse order.  When I restore notes (Windows 10, Windows client) they show the update date/time of when they were restored.   Thus you (may) get a list with all your mistakenly restored notes at the top.  View in list mode and put the columns in for updated and you should be able to find the first one then delete from there up.

Archived