Feature: Resize Image

• Level 5*

While this capability isn't built into Evernote itself, it's pretty easy to do: right-click on the image and use the "Open With" option to open the image in a program that allows you to do the resize.  On my PC, I have several of these available on that menu, including Office 2010 (i.e. the Office Picture Manager) and good old Windows Paint. 

After you do the resize in your selected app, just click that app's "Save" button, and the resized image will automatically be saved back to Evernote.

• Level 5*

I also agree - particularly when I get a virus warning from my antivirus software after I have resized the image in Paint. I think it may have something to do with the strange file names that EN gives to all the images. The other thing is if a note has multiple images resizing each one through Paint can be a pain.

• 2 months later...

This is a BASIC feature necessary for any program that allows you to use images. The lack of this feature is a deal-breaker for me. I have been using evernote for years to jot down notes, reminders and lists; for that it works well. I recently began testing it for use as a lab notebook. It has many features that lend itself well to use as a lab notebook including the ability to share, collaborate, etc. However, if I can't resize a picture of some bit of data, then I can't use it as a notebook.

• 5 weeks later...

I think it's pretty funny that this feature still hasn't been implemented. This is something that every single program in 1995 could do, yet it has yet to make it to Evernote. It is literally the only thing that has kept me on OneNote instead of EN for several years now.

Resizing in another app is ridiculous, slow, and clunky. I want to click, drag, and be done. I do NOT want to right click, click Open With..., select an app, open the app, resize the imagine inside this new app where I can't see the image in context, save, close, then go back to Evernote.

I've been encouraged to Open With Skitch. That app on Windows is... slow. So slow. And awful with resizing images.

I want this feature. I want it on my phone, tablet, and desktop. I want it because every app does it except Evernote. I haven't actually used Evernote in years because of this one feature. I try every once in a while. I like EN. Just... deal breaker, guys!

• 1 month later...

I wholeheartedly agree to this suggestion! Opening the file in an editing program is a major pain if you're writing notes on the fly. Being able to resize the image when it's thrown into a list of things would be really helpful so that it doesn't take up half the note and make you scroll down to get to the next item in the note. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Level 5*

I love the phrase "deal breaker"....

Anyway, you can do this with the new editor that has been implemented in the Mac client so it seems likely that it will come to Windows at some point.

It's very unlikely that Evernote staff will tell you when.

IMO, if resizing images is a deal breaker for you, then you should use a true screen cap app such as Snagit, Jetscreenshot, etc. Just as if being able to total columns in a table is a deal breaker, then use a true spreadsheet app. Evernote is not an image editor or a spreadsheet app, eventhough they include some very basic features of those type of programs. Besides, Evernote has a well earned reputation of giving and then taking away features.

• 2 weeks later...
IMO, if resizing images is a deal breaker for you, then you should use a true screen cap app such as Snagit, Jetscreenshot, etc. Just as if being able to total columns in a table is a deal breaker, then use a true spreadsheet app. Evernote is not an image editor or a spreadsheet app, eventhough they include some very basic features of those type of programs. Besides, Evernote has a well earned reputation of giving and then taking away features.

I don't think the need being expressed is actually to resize/edit the image so much as view the image as a thumbnail or smaller representation.  This is ultimately being done when the user resizes in OneNote.  The full fidelity image is still there.

When I take a pic in on iPhone Evernote, I get a 3000x2000 image, which completely overwhelms the note when inline with text or other content.  

I agree with the poster, this is a serious usability problem that keeps me on the lookout for better tools.

Atlassian Confluence Wiki allows really simple resizing to 3 different resolutions that allow you to easily use thumbnails inline.

I'm thinking something like:

• As an EN user, I would like to see embedded images at a smaller size, so that I can see the images in the context of other content.
  • As an EN user, I would like to click an embedded image thumbnail and see the full fidelity image, so I can view the image content when reviewing the note content.
  • Level 5*

@jeremyr, MI really want the capability to resize images - sometimes they are just too big! Taking them out to Paint or Paintshop Pro does work - most of the time. However, sometimes when I paste them back in my AV software goes crazy because of the file name EN gives it.

Almost all of my notes have one or two images, so I need to be able to resize images in my notes. I love Evernote but because there is absolutely no convenient way to do this, I naturally have to use OneNote for all of my notes.

BurgersNFries suggests we use a dedicated app for image manipulation. Generally, I like this unix style approach; however, unlike unix tools, the integration between Evernote and any image editing app out today is dismal. Someone once suggested I edit an image in Skitch. Skitch took something like 20 seconds to start. By the time I got it open, had the image I wanted, and was ready to go, I'd forgotten why I'd opened Skitch to begin with.

Either put in some excellent integration with a dedicated image editing tool or take the couple of dev hours to make pictures go bigger or littler, just like every Windows 3.1 app could do. Because so far, I'm just telling people Evernote is pretty, but OneNote works.

And suggesting that users don't understand their own problems doesn't actually solve any problems.

• 4 weeks later...

I love the phrase "deal breaker"....

Anyway, you can do this with the new editor that has been implemented in the Mac client so it seems likely that it will come to Windows at some point.

It's very unlikely that Evernote staff will tell you when.

Thanks for the heads up on this. So EN has implemented this much-wanted feature, only it's not available for windows yet.

• Level 5*

BurgersNFries suggests we use a dedicated app for image manipulation. Generally, I like this unix style approach; however, unlike unix tools, the integration between Evernote and any image editing app out today is dismal. Someone once suggested I edit an image in Skitch. Skitch took something like 20 seconds to start. By the time I got it open, had the image I wanted, and was ready to go, I'd forgotten why I'd opened Skitch to begin with.

I'm pretty certain that Evernote uses the same Windows Shell based application invocation scheme that other programs use. It generally works pretty well. Use a different image editor if Skitch isn't fast enough for you. MS Paint is always there, and it's fast to open and easy to use. Having image resize in Evernote would be swell, but in the meantime, it doesn't have to be as difficult as folks seem to make it.

• Level 5*

Skitch will NOT resize on a windows machine.

I also agree with previous posters that this is really basic stuff, and should be available without an outside program.

Somebody ELSE mentioned Skitch and didn't like it. I recommend using something that works for you (could be as easy as MS Paint), since it's not embedded in Evernote at the moment, and there are no guarantees as to when / if it ever will be.

I'm pretty certain that Evernote uses the same Windows Shell based application invocation scheme that other programs use. It generally works pretty well. Use a different image editor if Skitch isn't fast enough for you. MS Paint is always there, and it's fast to open and easy to use. Having image resize in Evernote would be swell, but in the meantime, it doesn't have to be as difficult as folks seem to make it.

The easier solution for me has been to use OneNote. It's had this ultra-simple functionality for over a decade.

By Unix style, I was thinking more along the lines of how each tool does one thing well and connects easily to the next tool with pipes, not so much app invokation.

The way Evernote asks that you do this just isn't comfortable and results in imagines not being a part of my notes. Evernote staff can continue to pretend this isn't stupid but that won't get me to start using Evernote again. If the fix people are talking about that just came to the Mac app hits Windows, I'll be more than happy to come back to Evernote!

• Level 5*

The easier solution for me has been to use OneNote. It's had this ultra-simple functionality for over a decade.

Happy for you. Vive la difference!

By Unix style, I was thinking more along the lines of how each tool does one thing well and connects easily to the next tool with pipes, not so much app invokation.

I understand pipes and that's lovely for command line stuff (hey, you can even do it in Windows, after a fashion). Might even be good for non text stuff, it's been awhile for me. Application invocation in this case is a Windows thing that's a different mechanism; file type handlers are registerable with the shell, and you can set a default or ask to choose a different one. This is not automation by pipeline (since the user needs to invoke the process by hand), nor is it unique to Evernote's way of operating. Other programs use the exact same method.

The way Evernote asks that you do this just isn't comfortable and results in imagines not being a part of my notes. Evernote staff can continue to pretend this isn't stupid but that won't get me to start using Evernote again. If the fix people are talking about that just came to the Mac app hits Windows, I'll be more than happy to come back to Evernote!

You can, if you like, configure Evernote to use your favorite image editor as the default handler, so a double-click will do the whole invocation. Images remain a part of your note, just as before. Invoke, edit, save, and quit; it all comes back into your note. If that's a deal-breaker for you, then that's up to you. Others find it merely occasionally awkward, or not a problem at all. I'm used to that style of program invocation, and I don't need to edit images all that often, so no big deal. Since neither you nor I can change Evernote's code or make them implement features on a different timetable than the one they have already, workarounds are offered.

Aside from that, making the request is fine. As I said, if they had this embedded in Evernote (as they do with image rotation), that would be swell. 

• Level 5*

How do you associate an image editor with Evernote?

Rick

Right click on an image in a note. Select "Open With", and then "Choose Program...". You should see a list of programs that are registered to understand the file type. Pick one, and then click on the "Always use the selected program to open this kind of file". If the program that you want is not shown, you'll need to Browse to it to add it to the list. Click out, and that should do it. It will be the default "Open" handler for that file type (generally file extension based, so ",png" is not necessarily handled the same as ".jpg"), and double-clicking on it in Evernote should bring it up in that editor, ready to go. Large images may take some time, since Evernote needs to write them out to disk in a temporary location before invoking your favorite program. As I said before: Open, Edit, Save, and then Quit the handling program. Save As doesn't work in this situation.

Sorry, it does not offer the "always open"  I know this is how a graphic is normally associated.

I am using windows 8.

It does not save it back to evernote, only asks for a location to save it on the hard drive.

Even after opening the file, clicking on it only offers the option to pick a program again.

Rick

• Level 5*

I verified this as working here before I told you.. You clicked on an image in an Evernote note? "Open With..." / "Choose Program...", all that, right?

Works for me -- I am in Win 7, but it should be the same in Win 8. Not sure what else to tell you...

I decided to reinstall Evernote just to take a video of the difference between resizing an image in OneNote vs Evernote. However, when I right click an image and choose "Open With... > Choose Program", nothing happens. It had worked previously. I dunno.

Anyway, if it WAS working, I'd have no WYSIWYG editing. I'd have to open it in another app (say, MS Paint), modify it, save it, go back to EN, and see if I guessed the right size. Evernote, it seems, isn't about elegant note taking.

In OneNote (or Word, or LibreOffice Writer, or any text editor with any image capabilities except Evernote since 1992 and several that are older), I'd just drag.

Look, this issue is old. NO ONE who cares about this is going to use MS Paint. It's more bother than it's worth. I might as well just use Notepad or TextEdit  in Dropbox to keep my notes. If Evernote has a solution for the people who take issue with this missing feature, great. Using an external program has worked for exactly zero people in this thread, so just stop pretending that's a real answer.

Resizing in an external application is not adequate. The way EN displays images depends on the size of the note window so there's no easy way of working out what would be suitable dimensions to resize to. Added to that, resizing in an external application throws image information away, in most cases I really want to keep an image in its original state but just have it displayed at a sensible size.

• 1 month later...

I have been waiting for this functionality for  while now.  I use EN on windows and android and of course sync them between.  I have recently added Mac and on Mac the functionality is there and works beautifully.  So the question is simply if and when EN development will bring the functionality to windows and android.

I had created several notes months and years ago with multiple embedded images and as was stated by many before, due to the varying size of the images the notes were quite messy and miss sized, etc.

When I first installed EN on Mac and synced my account the first thing I did was open some of those old notes and without having to do anything they formatted just as I had originally envisioned.  I then synced and went back to my windows and android device to see if there had been any change and of course not the notes were still displayed with the images at full size.

Bottom line EN developers have proven they understand the need, since they have implemented it for Mac.  I doubt they have not implemented on Win or droid because of lack of skill, so what's the deal??

All correct, but no "choose program" option.

Oh Well.

Thanks anyways!

Rick

I have the same issue. It's easy to reproduce. The reason is, that I often take a picture on my smartphone. It's uploaded to evernote embedded in a new note. In Evernote for windows, I open the newly created note, and copy/paste the picture from that note to the note where I want it (I have some diary-style log notes used for work etc.). Now I am unable to "open with" this pasted picture.

I would like to second that. I think it is a major drawback. And seing it work under Mac just pushes me further in the direction to switch to a different note-organizing program.

I also second that it's a major issue not to be able to manually set the size of a picture. And as others, I do not want to resize the picture to a different width/height than its original. Just change the display size. I do a lot of handwritten notes on my Galaxy Note tablet, and they display way too big in Evernote for Windows, but no way for me to resize them. If I do, I loose the ability to open the notes again for more editing.

I would like to second that. I think it is a major drawback. And seing it work under Mac just pushes me further in the direction to switch to a different note-organizing program.

I also second that it's a major issue not to be able to manually set the size of a picture. And as others, I do not want to resize the picture to a different width/height than its original. Just change the display size. I do a lot of handwritten notes on my Galaxy Note tablet, and they display way too big in Evernote for Windows, but no way for me to resize them. If I do, I loose the ability to open the notes again for more editing.

Thank for sharing this good usage example. I hope we can draw more attention to this matter to make the EN team react.

Thank for sharing this good usage example. I hope we can draw more attention to this matter to make the EN team react.

As a Evernote user for many years, I wouldn't bet on it. They seem to be more focused on introducing new weird features, than eliminating some of the basic errors that we fight with every day. 

As a Evernote user for many years, I wouldn't bet on it. They seem to be more focused on introducing new weird features, than eliminating some of the basic errors that we fight with every day.

Possibly because those "new weird" features may be attracting new users b/c of the novelty. IMO, in recent years, Evernote (the company) seems to have focused more on attracting new users rather than keeping existing ones. Gone are the days of EN wanting to be a 100 year company that strove to be the repository of many years worth of our memories and notes. IDK if it's due to financial constraints or just because someone at the top got a burr up their a$$.

Honestly, the way Evernote has handled this request and this thread have burned me out on Evernote. I'm disgusted by the lack of ownership and responsibility on Evernote's part. Suggesting that this isn't a problem because we can bend over backwards to use ridiculous workarounds that don't actually give us the desired results is just awful. I'd much rather hear someone from EN saying, "yeah, this should be easy but it isn't, and we honestly just don't have an answer yet."

Or even better, pay a developer for the 4 hours of work it would take to add this.

Further, if Evernote is still an up-and-coming young company, they've lost steam. When you're not going up, you're going down:

http://www.google.com/trends/explore#q=evernote

Please add this feature.  I completely agree with the other posters. If I take a picture or a screenshot on my iPhone it is unusable on Windows.  I would like Evernote to replace OneNote at some point but there are several basic features that keep that from happening.  With OneNote getting OneDrive support and mobile apps I'm seeing less and less reason to keep Evernote around.

It's just embarassing that such a simple feature that everyone implicitly expects to be available is still not available. This is just bad PR at this point! Add it to the next release already!!

Maybe addressing long term low hanging fruit will bring an upswing in Evernote interest to stop the plateauing they've been up to lately. They're as popular as they were 3.5 years ago:

http://www.google.com/trends/explore#q=evernote

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

As previously posted - it is so tiresome that EN never takes this serious.   Add image resizing (as in OneNote).  Add the ability to easily add white space within text (as in OneNote).  Add templates (as in OneNote).  .... see a trend here?....

With Office365 it gets harder and harder to see EN's advantage.   For slightly more than Premium, you get ALL of Office including OneNote.      

• 1 month later...

In case you don't know yet:

You can use a table as a grid layout and put text and images in the cells. The image width is automatically resized to the cell width (the height is adjusted to keep the original aspect ratio).

With the latest evernote release you can resize the individual columns by dragging the vertical borders...

In case you don't know yet:

You can use a table as a grid layout and put text and images in the cells. The image width is automatically resized to the cell width (the height is adjusted to keep the original aspect ratio).

With the latest evernote release you can resize the individual columns by dragging the vertical borders...

That is fine for a pc with mouse, but a pain on a phone, which is most likely where I will be using it.

Rick

OneNote has improved tremendously since this thread was started ages ago. It has ALL the basic features like this and its developers appear active and definitely hear feedback!

Well, since you made me curious about the current OneNote status, I just installed the Android version and it is a real disappointment!

Nothing from the Windows OneNote editor is implemented in the app, no layout possibilities, nothing at all.

Also the folder oriented GUI looks akward. Maybe I would get used to this, but  for me Evernote is still much more superior than OneNote... 

OneNote has improved tremendously since this thread was started ages ago. It has ALL the basic features like this and its developers appear active and definitely hear feedback!

Well, since you made me curious about the current OneNote status, I just installed the Android version and it is a real disappointment!

Nothing from the Windows OneNote editor is implemented in the app, no layout possibilities, nothing at all.

Also the folder oriented GUI looks akward. Maybe I would get used to this, but  for me Evernote is still much more superior than OneNote... 

At the other hand, if the android OneNote would become as intuitive and versatile as the windows one (which definitely has a very attractive  editor), I would consider the switch.

Excellent point, the mobile version really is for inputting text, maybe with light formatting and some images but nowhere near as slick as the Evernote mobile apps. I guess Evernote puts heavy emphasis on the editing capabilities of their mobile apps and Mac client. OneNote is just king on a desktop (or Windows tablet) but the mobile apps feel very mobile. EN really has innovated in making full featured mobile apps.

Still can't make pictures happen right in Windows, but hey, that's why we have threads like this

• 3 weeks later...

I think I might have found an EASY workaround!!

First - This only works in the Windows desktop version, not the online version.

Before inserting the image into your note, create a 1X1 table (that's right a single celled table)
Re-size the width of your table by dragging the cells right border.
Click in the cell to make sure it's the focus.
Paste your image into the cell - Voila, image has been re-sized down to the width of your cell.

Hope this helps anyone who has struggled with re-sizing your pasted images into an Ever-Note (I know I have).

KillaCook

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Holy *****, it's in the beta and yes it works.  I had the Beta and each time I pressed the picture (expecting to see some type or resizing mark) I would never get it.  But after clicking a few time (turning my head sideways and hopping on one leg) it finally showed small box on lower-right side of image that I could drag and resize!  THANK YOU!!!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi there,

This feature is in beta in our latest beta release: https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/89014-new-evernote-for-windows-592-beta/

We'd love to know what you think. 

I love it! It's a very welcome improvement which enable a better layout to many of my notes. It took me a few minutes to realize that if you paste an image into a note, you have to exit the note and enter it again, before the new resize handles etc. are available.

• 4 weeks later...

Yipee!  At least it is a good start.  I have already found an issue.  With side panel and snippets open, sometimes you can not get to the handle on the right side.  I just open the note and that allows me to reach it.  Would be even better if like most programs it had handles on all corners.

Us terrible users.... always looking for more. :>)

Just had the opportunity to install the windows update and yes, it sure was a long time coming, but I am satisfied with the image resizing functionality.  I only tried in on some existing notes with images that were inserted into tables, and they were all sized with the correct aspect ratio.  At first sight the implementation is as good as what has been available on Mac for so long.

• 3 months later...

How to resize images

Resize images in Evernote for Mac

Evernote for Mac and Windows Desktop

1. Tap an image inside a note until you see a blue border around it. If you see a blue circular handle at the bottom-right corner of the border, the image can be resized.
  2. Select the circular handle and drag towards or away from center of the image to resize it. Images can only be as large as their original size or the width of the note, whichever is larger.

Archived