Evernote for Mac 5.6 Beta 2

Jackolicious

Idea

• Level 5

Hey folks,

I'm happy to announce the second public beta release of Evernote for Mac 5.6. The focus of this release was to fix bugs, crashes, hangs, and sync errors. Many of the reports came from this forum so thank you all SO much for posting. The only new feature we've added is a new way to move notes between notebooks. This should be especially helpful for those users with many notebooks.

As always, if you see a crash, please send a crash report via the in-app process! If you see an odd behavior, please post here.

Enjoy the release: [LINK REMOVED] (5.6 Beta 1 users should see the update automatically)

Note: If you are running 5.5.2 and have chosen to update to betas from within the app, you will not see this update. We are not quite comfortable auto-updating folks to this build yet. Until then, you can "jump ahead" to this build by downloading/installing manually from the above link or you can wait until we push to the standard beta autoupdate stream.

30 replies to this idea

Occasionally I pop back to the EN forum to see how it's all going.

…then I see posts like these, and it reminds me why I'm still on v3.30 which was a stable release!

I can re-arrange my tags in the side-bar, and my tag names can be as long as I need them to be.

Lot's of other great features as well - that were stripped from later versions.

You can find v3.3.0 on the web if you want to give it a spin.

I don't believe this issue popped up with Beta 2, it might have been in Beta 1 as well.  I tried to search for it but I'm not sure I was using the correct search terms.

When moving notebooks from my primary/inbox notebook to other notebooks I believe that the app used to retain focus on the next note in the list.  This would facilitate very efficient editing and "filing" of notes to the right notebooks.  Now, once a note is filed, focus is lost requiring a mouse click on the next note.

Again, apologies if this issue has been discussed already.  Thanks!

Wasn't sure where to put this, but crucially the handwritting recognition feature is broken in this version. It renders all my moleskin notebook notes useless so will need to downgrade. The bigger upgrade without a doubt is the search by relevance feature which I adore.

Please fix this in the next (Beta 3) beta:

SyYexHm.png?1

Welcome to the realities of beta testing. 

Wasn't sure where to put this, but crucially the handwritting recognition feature is broken in this version. It renders all my moleskin notebook notes useless so will need to downgrade. The bigger upgrade without a doubt is the search by relevance feature which I adore.

Please fix this in the next (Beta 3) beta:

SyYexHm.png?1

I get that this isn't really the place for new feature requests, but the request to finish the AppleScript API has been on the table for quite a while. 

At the very least, there shouldn't be seemingly arbitrary omissions of metadata items (like "author") from what you can manipulate with AppleScript. 

Is spotlight search still an issue, or is it working?

Haven't had an issue with spotlight for a good several versions.... 

Ups, if so, then this comment to the public beta 1 to 5.6 (#1)

Known issue:
  • Spotlight search is not currently functional
was misleading ...

Ah, sorry, I was thinking of a spotlight issue from a few versions ago which was subsequently resolved.

I forgot about those release notes. Seems as though spotlight search doesn't work with beta 1 or Beta 2 (the beta 2 build before it was pulled, which is what I tested this on)

1. I just copied a note into a shared folder owned by someone else and the folder just disappeared (and the note landed itself into my default notebook). No error message, just a screen redraw when I dropped (after dragging to the notebook in the sidebar list) with it gone. I quit & came back and the notebook is still gone from the sidebar list and in the main notebook listings. The joined notebook is also NOT on the list in evernote.com either. With the insta-sync maybe it already told evernote.com to drop it?  (And confirmed that no sharing changes were made while this was going on )

2. My joined notebooks are all acting a little weird on this new beta. Some of the notebooks shared with me don't have the correct number of people in the "You are viewing a note that is shared with" header - and it's the owner of the notebook that is missing.  

Happy to ship you a log file or answer more questions. 

Not sure how best to proceed. Have the owner stop & re-share from scratch? Thanks.

Clarification: Just noticed that you pulled the beta - but to confirm, I was quick on the draw and am on 5.6.0 Public Beta 2 (450536 Direct)

I can't update to beta 2 because it shows me its up to date on beta 1?Any help?

Update:Now i have seen your post!Sorry!

Can you help me please, I don't see the beta 2 and I don't know to to which post you refer? Thanks!

• Level 5*

They should be.. anything in particular you have in mind? :)

Is anyone else experiencing issues with their tags?

Nothing specific yet (I'm not willing to test the beta yet with so many major issues).

But, there were a number of key, critical features that were DROPPED when Ver 5 was released.

So, I am very concerned that we will lose more features with this new rewrite.

• Level 5*

Hey folks,

I'm happy to announce the second public beta release of Evernote for Mac 5.6. The focus of this release was to fix bugs, crashes, hangs, and sync errors. Many of the reports came from this forum so thank you all SO much for posting. The only new feature we've added is a new way to move notes between notebooks. This should be especially helpful for those users with many notebooks.

Jack, in the Beta 1 thread, you stated that Ver 5.6 is a complete rewrite of the EN Mac app.

Do you expect that ALL features of Ver 5.5 will be present in the released ver of 5.6?

I just installed Beta 2. Oh, my. It has completely made a mess of my tags.

With Beta 1, I could not go to Tags view at all. It would crash the program each time I tried.

This version fixes that, BUT, my tags are no longer nested. I had a fairly complex system of nesting (which I blogged about here), which is now lost. All the tags are at the same level.

What can I do to restore the nesting of these tags? Thanks.

• Level 5*

Jack, thanks for the update.

Are you guys making any changes to the AppleScript interface for EN Mac?

• Make sure it is fully compatible with the latest Mac OS (10.9.4 Mavericks)
  • ADD new interfaces to existing app capability, like "Copy [Note] to Notebook"
    • There are quite a few features available via the app UI that are NOT available via AppleScript
    • A lot of user requests (like true Templates) could be satisfied if these features were made available

Thanks.

Archived